LW Yevgeni Svechnikov (2015, 19th, DET)

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Wanted him on the Jets before Connor fell into our laps.

The future top line of Svechnikov-Larkin/Pettersson-Mantha will be the beacon of hope for the Red Wings during the rebuild

Pettersson?

The future might not be as bright as you think.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Pettersson?

The future might not be as bright as you think.

Bar me mixing up he and the other Swedish center (which I do a LOT for no real reason) I still maintain that while this draft might not have the potential to produce a McDavid or a Matthews it can still produce a Tavares level or Couture level center. Pettersson, Hischier, Patrick, Vilardi are the ones I see doing it (with an outside shot coming in Necas), and I only say Pettersson because he's been apparently scouted HEAVILY by Detroits euro scouts

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Bar me mixing up he and the other Swedish center (which I do a LOT for no real reason) I still maintain that while this draft might not have the potential to produce a McDavid or a Matthews it can still produce a Tavares level or Couture level center. Pettersson, Hischier, Patrick, Vilardi are the ones I see doing it (with an outside shot coming in Necas), and I only say Pettersson because he's been apparently scouted HEAVILY by Detroits euro scouts

Oh, I didn't realize you were talking about the upcoming draft. I thought you mixed up another team's prospect with Detroit's

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Went 7th or 8th in the shootout. Neither team scored yet. He backhand five holes in between andersons legs.
Ottawa sends out white, also his first ever game. Mrazek saves it. Wings win.
Overall it was a good game from svech

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Does he remind anyone else of Jeff Skinner?

No. Skating was much different. His skating isnt choppy but its not as "graceful" as Skinner is roaming around.

I was at the game last night and I honestly can say and this isnt anything more than style comparisons.. but he doesnt remind me of who i saw him compared to during the draft year: a poor man's Tarasenko. Kid works hard, just dont know really much about his shot since he didnt get much of a chance to fully display it last night outside of the nifty tuck job in the SO.

That being said - i would hope he goes home this summer, adds 10-15 lbs, stays hungry and potentially makes it next year.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Thinking about it again, his skating style might be a little like Mik Samuelsson, former wings #37. "Fast" but a little choppy. Good balance, just a "weird" acceleration style.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Finishes his season with a 1g, 3a, 4pt last game, and 20 goals, 51pts in 74 games on the season, better than i expected tbh. Interesting that Mantha greatly outproduced him in junior, yet Svechnikov had a better rookie regular season production wise.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Finishes his season with a 1g, 3a, 4pt last game, and 20 goals, 51pts in 74 games on the season, better than i expected tbh. Interesting that Mantha greatly outproduced him in junior, yet Svechnikov had a better rookie regular season production wise.

Mantha had 1.38 ppg in qmjhl, but Svechnikov had 1.5 ppg.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI

The way Nelson handled Svech was night and day from how Blashill handled Mantha his first year in the AHL.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The way Nelson handled Svech was night and day from how Blashill handled Mantha his first year in the AHL.

Perhaps it is because Svech didn't come into the AHL with a broken leg and because he doesn't float for great stretches of the game. I get that it is very fashionable for fans to criticize Blashill at every corner, but every coach in the league would have treated Mantha the same way coming out of juniors. People need to stop being afraid of tough love.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Svech had the type of rookie season I expected out of Mantha if not for his injury. Slow start, but really got it going once he adjusted. I still see Mantha as a higher ceiling player, but Svech is coming along nicely.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
He had 5 pts in his first 20 games, then went almost PPG for the rest of the season. Better than I expected from him, to be honest. I hope he makes the wing's opening night roster next season.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Perhaps it is because Svech didn't come into the AHL with a broken leg and because he doesn't float for great stretches of the game. I get that it is very fashionable for fans to criticize Blashill at every corner, but every coach in the league would have treated Mantha the same way coming out of juniors. People need to stop being afraid of tough love.

Except for the part where the tough love never worked and he didn't improve much if at all under Blash, Nelson had him engaged much more and played him as much or more than any forward on the team. Saying every coach would have handled Mantha the same is quite silly.

Also Svech definitely had plenty of defensive and floating issues early in the season, but instead of benching him every time he actually stuck with him, and what do you know, he improved a ton.

Hopefully Svech has a good playoff run to cap off his season, he could be NHL ready by the start of next season which is impressive given his start in the AHL.

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
After having a decent rookie season with 51 points in 74 games (going almost a PPG after the first 20 games or so) and having a similar playoff performance with 12 pts in 19 games, Svech is really struggling. He's got 4 points in 18 games this year. Really strange.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad