LW Yevgeni Svechnikov (2015, 19th, DET)

arsmaster*

I'd love to hear some Russian fans weigh in on how he compares to the recent high end Russians?

Looks to have it all.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I'm extremely high on this guy, he really has it all, huge talent. Reminded me of a young Kovalchuk actually (ok, without the Kovi's special sniper shot). Hope that his transition to NA hockey will be going fine, since it is the only risk that I can see for him. Anyway, he is definitely the one to watch next season.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm extremely high on this guy, he really has it all, huge talent. Reminded me of a young Kovalchuk actually (ok, without the Kovi's special sniper shot). Hope that his transition to NA hockey will be going fine, since it is the only risk that I can see for him. Anyway, he is definitely the one to watch next season.

Does that include Kovy's explosive skating? Kid's got some seriously good stats in the MHL. I'm excited to see how he does in Cape Breton, considering it's Cape Breton.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Does that include Kovy's explosive skating? Kid's got some seriously good stats in the MHL. I'm excited to see how he does in Cape Breton, considering it's Cape Breton.

CB is being predicted to be a contender for the next 2 years based on their current roster, returning lots of talented players and upgraded in goal.

Last year they were top 3 in goals for, but 2nd last in goals against. They also have 3 1st round picks in 2015 so they can easily trade for the top available players next year.

I would say Svechnikov is likely to play on a line with Clark Bishop and Maxim Lazarev (his childhood friend) so it's going to be interesting for sure.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
CB is being predicted to be a contender for the next 2 years based on their current roster, returning lots of talented players and upgraded in goal.

Last year they were top 3 in goals for, but 2nd last in goals against. They also have 3 1st round picks in 2015 so they can easily trade for the top available players next year.

I would say Svechnikov is likely to play on a line with Clark Bishop and Maxim Lazarev (his childhood friend) so it's going to be interesting for sure.

Okay cool, definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Could somebody compare him to Kucherov at the same age? As a Lightning fan I know much about Kucherov and considering Kucherovs stats were just slightly better at the same age it might be an interesting comparison.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

No.
I don't see the Kovalchuk comparison at all tbh, promising but different type of player.

Sorry, I might have caused some confusion. I didn't mean that Svechnikov is similar type of player to Kovi, I tried to say that some elements of his game (movements, body usage, puck handling) reminded me of Kovi.

Could somebody compare him to Kucherov at the same age? As a Lightning fan I know much about Kucherov and considering Kucherovs stats were just slightly better at the same age it might be an interesting comparison.

Hard to compare, Kucherov looked totally different to me, also different type of player.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sorry, I might have caused some confusion. I didn't mean that Svechnikov is similar type of player to Kovi, I tried to say that some elements of his game (movements, body usage, puck handling) reminded me of Kovi.

Hard to compare, Kucherov looked totally different to me, also different type of player.

Okay, that's cool. What's his skating like though? I'm very interested.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Okay, that's cool. What's his skating like though? I'm very interested.

I will avoid making loud comparisions this time, but still will say his skating is close to elite - when you see a 6'2" guy (ok, not a giant, but still kind of tall) skating and controlling his body like that, I was like wow.

P.S. Found old (posted 1,5 year ago), but very nice highlight compilation video of him. I can see that his skating was very good even back then. By the way, his appearance at that video still seems kind of Kovalchukian to me.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Ranked 6th in DraftBuzz Initial Top 30 for the 2015 draft (published in the 2014 DraftBuzz NHL Draft Guide).

He's the complete package - explosive, smart, backchecks, hits, elite offensive arsenal.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I will avoid making loud comparisions this time, but still will say his skating is close to elite - when you see a 6'2" guy (ok, not a giant, but still kind of tall) skating and controlling his body like that, I was like wow.

P.S. Found old (posted 1,5 year ago), but very nice highlight compilation video of him. I can see that his skating was very good even back then. By the way, his appearance at that video still seems kind of Kovalchukian to me.

Wow, that last goal was pretty. Such an impressive player. Good stuff, thanks. :)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He is listed as 6'3 205 lbs from CB training camp measurements, kid has grown alot in the last couple years and I feel he will be a big riser this upcoming season.

arsmaster*

Is Kovalev a terrible comp? He seems to have that elusiveness and every aspect of a dominating offensive arsenal.

Only seen him briefly, but he just sticks out.

6'3" 205lbs listing probably gonna help him shine through over some Russian issues and get him taken pretty high.

Be fun to track him this year.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Is Kovalev a terrible comp? He seems to have that elusiveness and every aspect of a dominating offensive arsenal.

Only seen him briefly, but he just sticks out.

6'3" 205lbs listing probably gonna help him shine through over some Russian issues and get him taken pretty high.

Be fun to track him this year.

He's a better skater than Kovalev but it's unfair to compare any prospect to Kovalev in terms of hands and skill. Svechnikov is much more like JVR imo. Btw he was 6'0 180 a little over a year ago.

Ace88*

Gonna be keeping a close watch on both Svechnikov and Cape Breton. Also going to be paying attention to Moncton...the atlantic maritimes have a healthy contingent of russian talent this year

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
If he can cut out the moronic penalties that I saw him take at the Ivan Hlinka in 2013, then he'll be a good player. A little too much go it his own way at times, especially if things aren't going his teams way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad