LW Jake DeBrusk (2015, 14th, BOS)

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Honestly I wouldn't mind if Canucks took him @23

I believe it could be a good pick for the Habs at 26th.

Starting to like this kid more and more. If he can just pack on some pounds he could be a real good NHLer. Might get taken a lot earlier than people think. I could see him going to Buffalo at 21.

Praying DeBrusk is there at 29 when the Flyers second pick rolls around.

It was definitely a bit of a reach, but I think the above comments summarize it quite well.

People wanted him, the Bruins wouldn't get him if they passed on him at 13.14.15. They made a choice and went for it.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I don't want to derail the thread but I don't know how anyone can say this.

It could've been a great draft. What if Connor and Barzal become stars in the league (and they're right on track to be just that) and the 3 Bruins prospects become simply decent NHLers (and they are track to be just that)? That is inexcusable. Every armchair GM on this site knew Connor and Barzal were automatic picks at 13th and 14th overall.

In before someone says: The Bruins picks could be stars too!! You don't know!

Every armchair GM on this site knew Dal Colle was automatic at #5 in 2014 and the Islanders took him there. I guess that makes him a great pick???

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't want to derail the thread but I don't know how anyone can say this.

It could've been a great draft. What if Connor and Barzal become stars in the league (and they're right on track to be just that) and the 3 Bruins prospects become simply decent NHLers (and they are track to be just that)? That is inexcusable. Every armchair GM on this site knew Connor and Barzal were automatic picks at 13th and 14th overall.

In before someone says: The Bruins picks could be stars too!! You don't know!

How can you say that while claiming we could have had a great draft, our 2nd round round looks like a killer, Carlo+Lauzon with top2/3 potential and JFK being Bergeron Jr.
Gabrielle 4th round pick is going +ppg and plays like Marchand(+200lbs version of him), going to be loved by so many :)

Also Seny has been top15 pick worthy.

Last edited:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
How can you say that while claiming we could have had a great draft, our 2nd round round looks like a killer, Carlo+Lauzon with top2/3 potential and JFK being Bergeron Jr.
Gabrielle 4th round pick is going +ppg and plays like Marchand, going to be loved by so many :)

Also Seny has been top15 pick worthy.

As much as people laughed at the Bruins on draft day their 2015 as a group is progressing at a killer rate right now.

I still think they Barzal should have gone that high though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Thanks for posting your insights. I'm especially glad to hear he works hard and is noticeable. He had a dry stretch recently, and I was worried it was an effort issue.

No probs. Based on this one viewing. He does a lot of things that will not show up on the scoresheet. He will fit in with Julien and Bergeron or Krejci as a protypical Bruin. I am not sure of his offensive upside, but what he showed me in this game. If I were a Bruins fan you would not be disappointed.

Unfortunately for him, it's not his fault. Barzal, Connor, Konecny, White were all picked after him. But that is another topic. Just wanted to say Debrusk was one of the better players Sat night.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Big debrusk fan. I wouldn't have picked him were the bruins did but I absolutely think he's in the same tier as boeser.

He'll be a very valuable player to the bruins in the future.

Reminds me of burrows

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Big debrusk fan. I wouldn't have picked him were the bruins did but I absolutely think he's in the same tier as boeser.

He'll be a very valuable player to the bruins in the future.

Reminds me of burrows

Ah man - you had every Bruin fan in the palm of your hand.....until that last part. :laugh:

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Ah man - you had every Bruin fan in the palm of your hand.....until that last part. :laugh:

You could say what you want with his character, but you can't deny that he was a very good player in his prime.

I agree with you though, that comparison is confusing at best

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Reminds me of burrows

You could say what you want with his character, but you can't deny that he was a very good player in his prime.

Yeah - there's just something I don't like about him. I just can't put my finger on it. ;)

Burrows-Bite-e1349190979881.jpg

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

I absolutely hate Marchand.

But if we drafted someone that played like Marchand and was as good as Marchand I'd be all over it. :laugh:

Also, I'm talking about prime Burrows. Trust me you guys are gonna love DeBrusk.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You could find a ton of articles/scouts who think the exact opposite (Debrusk reach, Senyshyn in the right ballpark).

Just shows there are differing opinions out there, Sweeney had one of those opinions apparently.
Senyshyn was considered the bigger reach at the time, but at the moment I would rather Senyshyn than Debrusk, I believe he has the better skill set to succeed in the NHL. While its said certain teams had Senyshyn (have seen Leafs and Wings mentioned) high on their boards most publicly available rankings, had DeBrusk as a 1st round guy, almost none had Senyshyn as such. DeBrusk is in the top 30 in all 11 lists he is eligible for, Senyshyn is not on one. But Boston has to trust the people in charge of drafting, I remember when the Leafs drafted Antropov 10 when everyone had him as a 2nd to 3rd round guy, and he did enough to justify his selection.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2015-draft/prospect-rankings/

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Senyshyn was considered the bigger reach at the time, but at the moment I would rather Senyshyn than Debrusk, I believe he has the better skill set to succeed in the NHL. While its said certain teams had Senyshyn (have seen Leafs and Wings mentioned) high on their boards most publicly available rankings, had DeBrusk as a 1st round guy, almost none had Senyshyn as such. DeBrusk is in the top 30 in all 11 lists he is eligible for, Senyshyn is not on one. But Boston has to trust the people in charge of drafting, I remember when the Leafs drafted Antropov 10 when everyone had him as a 2nd to 3rd round guy, and he did enough to justify his selection.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2015-draft/prospect-rankings/

My point was people have different opinions, and I think Sweeney saw something in Senyshyn that lead him to not risk someone taking him.

I love the Zboril and Senyshyn picks but wanted Connor at 15, still do.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
My point was people have different opinions, and I think Sweeney saw something in Senyshyn that lead him to not risk someone taking him.

I love the Zboril and Senyshyn picks but wanted Connor at 15, still do.

Yup. I was texting with my buddy who is a B's fan that does not follow the draft and giving him the lowdown and told him to pray that Connor makes it to 12. When Dallas took Gurianov I was ecstatic. I told my friend to expect Connor, Zboril (next consensus D Man) and that I was hoping for Konecny with the last pick but thought the Bruins probably were in love with Colin White for the type of complete player he is. Connor and White would have been sweet.

JayHockey

Mar 19, 2015
Debrusk reminds me a bit of Daniel Sedin. Able to score and an offensive edge. I don't dislike the pick, but top 15 is a bit too high. Trade little bit down for him would have been the better way IMO.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Was able to catch most of the game and he was dominant out there tonight, loved what I saw. Hopefully he keeps this momentum going and finishes with a strong playoff and memorial cup

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
This story is just... well... cringe-worthy doesn't even begin to describe it.

The Horrifying (And Graphic) Story of Jake DeBrusk's Injury

The whole story is that DeBrusk got hit in one of his testicles with a slap shot so hard that it inflamed to the size of a tennis ball and he fainted at the hospital before surgery could even be performed.

“It was the scariest thing, looking down and it’s just like, ‘Oh my god. What’s going to happen?’” DeBrusk said in a conversation with WEEI.com. “You’re 18 years old and you’re thinking to yourself whether you’re ever going to have kids, things like that. I freaked out.”

DeBrusk suffered the injury blocking a shot on his first shift of a Broncos game on Nov. 3. He was wearing a cup, but because he wears some of his pads loosely, the shot missed the cup altogether and hit his left testicle. His teammates chuckled as any teenager would, as their buddy had gotten hit in the you-know-whats, except DeBrusk had no idea what was going on and was experiencing perhaps the most frightening moments of his life.

“The only thing I’ll remember about it is just the pain,” he said. “That’s the worst part about the injury, is how much it hurt, because I tried to get up. I went down and I didn’t know what happened, because you don’t feel it in that area. It goes up to your mid-section, so I thought my appendix burst or something, because I couldn’t move. It was an unbelievable feeling. I’ll never forget it. I tried to get up and I had to crawl to the bench. I had to crawl and they were like, ‘Get up, get up.’ I was like, ‘I can’t get up.’”

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
To me, the part below is the most telling part of the story...fans want to **** on a 19 year old kid when all they do is look at stats but have no idea what is actually going on. I was pretty "meh" with the pick at the time but I am rooting big time for him now.

He couldn’t walk for a week, and though he was expected to miss up to two months, he returned after three weeks. DeBrusk admits that he “wasn’t even close†to being either healthy or properly conditioned to play, but that's because it was his first injury and the team was struggling, he couldn’t stand to miss any more time.

Hearing him explain his return, the scenario borders on irresponsible. The Broncos had three games in three days and he played over 30 minutes in all three of them.

“It was a tough transition. I kind of wish I didn’t come back so early because it doesn’t do great for the stats, that’s for sure,†he said with a laugh. “I probably could have taken about 10 more games off, but we needed a push. … I just couldn’t stand watchinghockey.â€

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
To me, the part below is the most telling part of the story...fans want to **** on a 19 year old kid when all they do is look at stats but have no idea what is actually going on. I was pretty "meh" with the pick at the time but I am rooting big time for him now.

Yeap, took a lot of.......ummm...courage to return so quickly.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm cringing just thinking about the idea of a slapshot hitting my nuts. Can't and don't want to know how it actually feels. Ouch man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad