LW Jake DeBrusk (2015, 14th, BOS)

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
What a nose for the net this kid has. It's almost Parise-esque how he finds ways to be right in the crease all the time. Guys like Parise and Hornqvist, that's where I'd honestly put Jake's puck-hunting ability on rebounds and nose for the net.

You are spot on with this. He has an incredible nose for the net and is always finding himself in the high scoring areas. I think his style translates perfectly to the pro level. He looks like a rich mans Bracken Kearns.

I'm up for the Canucks taking a player like this at 23.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
You are spot on with this. He has an incredible nose for the net and is always finding himself in the high scoring areas. I think his style translates perfectly to the pro level. He looks like a rich mans Bracken Kearns.

I'm up for the Canucks taking a player like this at 23.

Sabres need more LW Prospects. I would take him at #21.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I've made several shift by shift videos on players from the 2015 draft, including Jake DeBrusk, just to get a gauge on his style of play.

Of course, this isn't to replace scouting, but if you haven't seen him before, this is a chance to see him. Keep in mind this isn't a highlight reel.

I hope you enjoy!

This is one where I provided commentary, and it's far from one of my favorite pieces of commentary (I'm pretty shy and still had a lot to learn), but hopefully you'll find it tolerable.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Interviewed with 29 teams .. all but LAK, though talked to them a few times through the year.

[NHL]828020[/NHL]

[nhl]827956[/nhl]

Last edited:

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
DeBrusk is a guy I would be content with if he was drafted by the Habs. We need a guy who can put the puck in the net.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
He seems like a very likable kid. If the Oilers still have their first second rounder and he lasts that long, (which I doubt he will) I hope they can snag him.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Starting to like this kid more and more. If he can just pack on some pounds he could be a real good NHLer. Might get taken a lot earlier than people think. I could see him going to Buffalo at 21.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
By far the most underrated and least talked about prospect. Kid is terrific. Love him a lot. Reminds me of Lazar.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
By far the most underrated and least talked about prospect. Kid is terrific. Love him a lot. Reminds me of Lazar.

I tried all year...as you can tell by the first page of this thread. :laugh:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I tried all year...as you can tell by the first page of this thread. :laugh:

I can guarantee it now. Some team is going to take him in the 1st, half the board members from that team is going to be pissed and say "who", and "reach" and by this time next year will be in love with the kid, lololol

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I really love the sound of Debrusk.

Goal scorer ability? - 40 goals in the WHL
Work ethic? - Has a great mentor in his dad, where you hope some of his on-ice drive and off-ice health, training, and prep has rubbed off onto Jake.

Is Zach Parise a good comparison in terms of style of play?

BoDacious Horvat

Sep 1, 2013
Vancouver
Since both DeBrusk and Virtanen had 41 goals in their draft eligible WHL seasons, who would you guys take? And what's the gap between the two in goal scoring ability? RS I'd really appreciate your insight on this man aha

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Since both DeBrusk and Virtanen had 41 goals in their draft eligible WHL seasons, who would you guys take? And what's the gap between the two in goal scoring ability? RS I'd really appreciate your insight on this man aha

RS will probably make a more detail answer but just from looking on the surface and from other reports, I think the main difference is that Virtanen is built like a truck with 207lbs stuffed into a 6'1" frame, and also uses its forcefully to create offense. DeBrusk doesn't have the size and doesn't have the frame to ever really be a physical force.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Starting to like this kid more and more. If he can just pack on some pounds he could be a real good NHLer. Might get taken a lot earlier than people think. I could see him going to Buffalo at 21.

Yeah. A guy with this sort of intelligence, drive, bloodlines and knack for scoring those "greasy goals" is definitely the type of player i could see a team falling in love with a good deal earlier than "expected".

Probably a bit of a "safer" projection than a lot of other potential "later 1st" type guys in this draft too...in that it's hard to see him not finding some way to at least play a role in the NHL some day.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Praying DeBrusk is there at 29 when the Flyers second pick rolls around.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I really love the sound of Debrusk.

Goal scorer ability? - 40 goals in the WHL
Work ethic? - Has a great mentor in his dad, where you hope some of his on-ice drive and off-ice health, training, and prep has rubbed off onto Jake.

Is Zach Parise a good comparison in terms of style of play?

No...not really. More of a 2 foot goal scorer .. Parise is more complete and better at generating.

Buchanan*

I think Bruin fans are overreacting. Zboril and especially this kid had great years last year. He seems already better than Virtanen who went 6thov in 2014. Obviously Senyshyn was a head scratcher, but I could see DeBrusk being a very good winger at the NHL level.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I think Bruin fans are overreacting. Zboril and especially this kid had great years last year. He seems already better than Virtanen who went 6thov in 2014. Obviously Senyshyn was a head scratcher, but I could see DeBrusk being a very good winger at the NHL level.

Toronto was zeroed in on Senyshyn (rumor) had he been available. They moved down to grab Dermott in the 2nd.

I think it was the case of Boston knowing he wouldn't be available till their 2nd round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad