LW Jake DeBrusk (2015, 14th, BOS)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Bruin fans are overreacting. Zboril and especially this kid had great years last year. He seems already better than Virtanen who went 6thov in 2014. Obviously Senyshyn was a head scratcher, but I could see DeBrusk being a very good winger at the NHL level.

Zboril and DeBrusk are good prospects. The surprise is that they left both Barzal and Connor on the board, for which the NYIs and Jets are very thankful.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
RS, I appreciate all the insight on DeBrusk. As a Bruins fan who doesn't get to watch a ton of WHL hockey you helped me learn a lot about him. Thanks!

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
RS, I appreciate all the insight on DeBrusk. As a Bruins fan who doesn't get to watch a ton of WHL hockey you helped me learn a lot about him. Thanks!

I agree with what others have said... don't be down on DeBrusk at all. He will be at least NHL average size, he can skate and loves to score, and more importantly comes with the ability to do so. He was criminally underrated prior to the draft and will prove to be a very good pick. WHL kids who are competitive and score 42 goals in a their draft years are kids with a big future.

whlscowt

I agree with what others have said... don't be down on DeBrusk at all. He will be at least NHL average size, he can skate and loves to score, and more importantly comes with the ability to do so. He was criminally underrated prior to the draft and will prove to be a very good pick. WHL kids who are competitive and score 42 goals in a their draft years are kids with a big future.

Interesting observation.

Virtanen, Gallagher, Etem, Petan, Ennis, Eberle are some other 40+ WHL goal scorers during their draft year. Can anyone think of a drafted 40+ goal scorer during their draft year who hasn't developed well?

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Interesting observation.

Virtanen, Gallagher, Etem, Petan, Ennis, Eberle are some other 40+ WHL goal scorers during their draft year. Can anyone think of a drafted 40+ goal scorer during their draft year who hasn't developed well?

Etem is pretty much on his way to being a bust at this point.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Etem had 37 in 72 in his draft year if I'm looking at hockeyDB correctly. 5 less goals/16 less points. Not that it really matters.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=62489

How about Nigel Dawes. 47 goals, played 200 games in the NHL but nothing mind blowing

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=40740

Pavel Brendl 73 goals

All that being said Dawes(2003) is the last over 40 that didn't seem to amount to much(I checked up to 2010). It seems much more common place 40+ club but Brendl really sticked out like a sore thumb. Evander Kane was missed in 2009 as well(48 in 61 games)

Last edited:

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Interesting observation.

Eberle is the only guy out of these worthy of a top-15 pick (so far).

Both Virtanen and Petan have regressed, Gallagher and Etem are only grinders.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Eberle is the only guy out of these worthy of a top-15 pick (so far).

Both Virtanen and Petan have regressed, Gallagher and Etem are only grinders.

Petan hasn't regressed at all. He didn't score as much during the regular season, but has worked on other aspects of his game. When it mattered (WJHC and playoffs), Petan was fantastic (top PPG in the WHL, beating out Draisaitl. Tied for scoring lead in WJHC).

His play at the recently concluded development camp shows that he's ready for pro, and will push hard for a spot in the NHL.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

No problem.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Saw him play the first time this year. Boston gets a lot of grief with this pick. And yeah sure, I would rather have Connor or Barzal over Debrusk. But I will give credit where credit is due. He had a good game against Brandon. Very noticeable this game, works very hard on the ice.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Saw him play the first time this year. Boston gets a lot of grief with this pick. And yeah sure, I would rather have Connor or Barzal over Debrusk. But I will give credit where credit is due. He had a good game against Brandon. Very noticeable this game, works very hard on the ice.

I think what gets lost in translation is that Debrusk and Senyshyn are 1st round talents, just later 1st round than their projected draft slot.

I regret the draft pick as of now but I certainly don't think Debrusk is a bad player. Top 6 upside for sure.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

DeBrusk wasn't much of a reach as I expected him to go late teens to mid 20's. Senyshyn was the huge reach. Overall it was still a great draft for the Bruins though.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
DeBrusk is a good player but I thought Bruins taking him where they did was a reach. But we will see how it turns out down the road

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
DeBrusk wasn't much of a reach as I expected him to go late teens to mid 20's. Senyshyn was the huge reach. Overall it was still a great draft for the Bruins though.

You could find a ton of articles/scouts who think the exact opposite (Debrusk reach, Senyshyn in the right ballpark).

Just shows there are differing opinions out there, Sweeney had one of those opinions apparently.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

I don't want to derail the thread but I don't know how anyone can say this.

It could've been a great draft. What if Connor and Barzal become stars in the league (and they're right on track to be just that) and the 3 Bruins prospects become simply decent NHLers (and they are track to be just that)? That is inexcusable. Every armchair GM on this site knew Connor and Barzal were automatic picks at 13th and 14th overall.

In before someone says: The Bruins picks could be stars too!! You don't know!

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

Thanks for posting your insights. I'm especially glad to hear he works hard and is noticeable. He had a dry stretch recently, and I was worried it was an effort issue.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I don't want to derail the thread but I don't know how anyone can say this.

It could've been a great draft. What if Connor and Barzal become stars in the league (and they're right on track to be just that) and the 3 Bruins prospects become simply decent NHLers (and they are track to be just that)? That is inexcusable. Every armchair GM on this site knew Connor and Barzal were automatic picks at 13th and 14th overall.

In before someone says: The Bruins picks could be stars too!! You don't know!

I mean your argument is based on the fact that two people the Bruins didn't pick could be stars. Are the Bruins players not allowed to be stars or something?

I think he was referring to the 3 2nd round picks. All are performing extremely well along with Jesse Gabrielle in the 4th.

Mad Brills*

Seems like zboril is the only one not living up to expectations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad