LW Jake DeBrusk (2015, 14th, BOS)

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
If he does become a 50+ point player, you can't be mad with that. Of course there might have been better player to pick, but in a vacuum that's good value for where he was picked at.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I love this kid. He really seems like he has the ability to play extremely well in any role he could be given, and his energy, determination, and creativity are always noticeable. Sucks he has to play for the Bruins, lol.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Thats even more than Barzal! Thats impossible!

Can't take away anything from Barzal, he's been outstanding. However, at the time of the 2015 draft, the B's were in dire need of some goal scoring wings and were in much better shape at the C position, hence the picks of DeBrusk and Senyshyn over Barzal or Connor.

Speaking of Connor...

Connor: 29 games played, 10g/9a, Even, 17:43 per game (14:39 ES, 3:03 PP)

DeBrusk: 28 games played, 8g/10a, Even, 14:12 per game (12:16 ES, 1:47 PP, 0:08 PK)

Connor is only one point ahead of DeBrusk (with one more game played), has been getting top line minutes (17:43 vs 14:12) in WPG with top 3 linemates (currently Scheifele and Wheeler), while DeBrusk has had 2nd/3rd line minutes and linemates ( Spooner and Bjork).

The Bruins host the Jets tomorrow night, so they will face each other for the first time.

ps Heinen is better than both ;)

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
ya maybe they didnt completely mess up that draft

Pretty asinine to think they messed up that draft anyway? DeBrusk and Carlo are proving that they can be top lineup players (top 6, top 4). So already two NHL players with Senyshyn, Zboril, Lauzon, and JFK all continuing to grow and looking good to very good.

Immediate NHL success doesn't make/break a draft for a team. But whatever helps the Experts on HFBoards sleep at night.

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida

Thats even more than Barzal! Thats impossible!

You have Barzal, you don't really need to get in this thread for the sole purpose of trolling. Major cringe.

The poster used stats to show how good DeBrusk is; very impressive considering he is probably up there with the likes of McDavid, Tavares, Stamkos, Kucherov, and other top scorers this year than implies that he is better than Barzal. All Im saying is why stop there? might as well throw mcdavid, crosby, and other superstars name as well lol.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The poster used stats to show how good DeBrusk is; very impressive considering he is probably up there with the likes of McDavid, Tavares, Stamkos, Kucherov, and other top scorers this year than implies that he is better than Barzal. All Im saying is why stop there? might as well throw mcdavid, crosby, and other superstars name as well lol.
Whatever, man. I just don't think that it's very classy. Suit yourself, it's a free world.

Reactions: Grasshopperking

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If ppl do not like what DeBrusk is doing they can take their clASS outta here

Yeah, main-board or not, what is the point of coming in here and trolling? Bruins drafted a damn good player with plenty of upside and room to grow. Why do I see so many mentions of other players? Get the f*** out if you aren't here to talk about JAKE DEBRUSK. It's not difficult.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Yeah, main-board or not, what is the point of coming in here and trolling? Bruins drafted a damn good player with plenty of upside and room to grow. Why do I see so many mentions of other players? Get the **** out if you aren't here to talk about JAKE DEBRUSK. It's not difficult.

Exactly. And while I like that the forums seem more relaxed in regards to sanctions, the bolded should still be reason enough to boot someone who is doing that from the thread.
Talk Debrusk or be gone.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I don't think he is better than Barzal. Just annoyed at the years of "Bruins are dumb!" posts from everyone.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Out of all the guys we picked in the first round, the guy people are picking on is DeBrusk? Zboril was picked right where he was projected to go, DeBrusk was projected to go in the late 1st, but Senyshyn was late 2nd/early 3rd... At least pick on him.

DeBrusk has been awesome. No one will tell you that he's as good or better than Barzal but he's been great for us and I really wasn't expecting anything this year. Incredibly petty.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Out of all the guys we picked in the first round, the guy people are picking on is DeBrusk? Zboril was picked right where he was projected to go, DeBrusk was projected to go in the late 1st, but Senyshyn was late 2nd/early 3rd... At least pick on him.

DeBrusk has been awesome. No one will tell you that he's as good or better than Barzal but he's been great for us and I really wasn't expecting anything this year. Incredibly petty.

I don't think anybody would question the Debrusk pick if Barzal and to a lesser extent Connor were off the board(basically the 2 consensus picks at that time)

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I don't think anybody would question the Debrusk pick if Barzal and to a lesser extent Connor were off the board(basically the 2 consensus picks at that time)

Why is Connor even brought up now? How is he better than DeBrusk? Both young top 6 wingers with upside. At this point, neither is a better pick than the other. Plenty of team ahead of the Bruins should have taken Barzal as well if we're still doing this revisionist history BS. It's just dumb he gets linked to the Bruins over and over and how they passed on him.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Why is Connor even brought up now? How is he better than DeBrusk? Both young top 6 wingers with upside. At this point, neither is a better pick than the other. Plenty of team ahead of the Bruins should have taken Barzal as well if we're still doing this revisionist history BS. It's just dumb he gets linked to the Bruins over and over and how they passed on him.

Connor is brought up because he was a consensus pick around the spots in which Boston drafted (13, 14 and 15) in the first round. Nevertheless, on the basis of their performances this season, Debrusk and Connor are equal--Debrusk may even be more impressive, given production and TOI--and Boston is surely happy with Jake.

I think that Boston is linked to Barzal more than any other team because it had three picks in the first round and passed on him in each instance.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I actually like Debrusk over Connor, whose stats are hilariously inflated by playing with Scheifele and Wheeler. There’s something to be said about being able to keep up to such a pair, but Debrusk makes less bad plays, is more effective on the forecheck, better defensively, and would be producing more if he were the one with Scheifele and Wheeler IMO.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Connor is brought up because he was a consensus pick around the spots in which Boston drafted (13, 14 and 15) in the first round. Nevertheless, on the basis of their performances this season, Debrusk and Connor are equal--Debrusk may even be more impressive, given production and TOI--and Boston is surely happy with Jake.

I hope both players go on to have solid careers. I don't hope that any player fails in the NHL. Boston is obviously happy with DeBrusk, and Winnipeg is happy with Connor. Everyone wins.

I think that Boston is linked to Barzal more than any other team because it had three picks in the first round and passed on him in each instance.

I guess this is how I look at it. If you break it down:

#13 was Zboril = consenus best available defenseman, projected to go anywhere in the top 10-20

#14 was DeBrusk = off the board pick, but was still considered a first round selection.

#15 was Senyshyn = completely off the board pick at the time. Rumors that some teams later in the first were targeting him. Who knows whether that is true or not. I take everything into consideration. However, consensus was a 2nd round pick. He has done nothing but score in the OHL, and is finding his game at the AHL level. Size, skill, speed. He has plenty of NHL potential to be a dominant player. However, out of the 3, still a high bust factor.

So with all that, the Bruins really ended up with one player who you could say was a complete out-there pick. Compare that to teams ahead of Boston who took players like Crouse (and thank God he didn't fall to Boston, because I have no doubt he would have been selected), Meier, Zacha, and Gurianov. I guess I just can't wrap my head around people STILL bringing this stuff up. At the time, yes... It was warranted. Everyone had a right to criticize the picks. But now, I don't get it. Hopefully that makes sense to some. It makes sense in my head, but I'm not sure if I worded it correctly haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 99664987

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad