LW Jake DeBrusk (2015, 14th, BOS)

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
People never watched him in his draft year and really thought the Bruins blew this pick thinking Jake played like his father. The Domi factor. Most on here are highlight and stats watchers and can't take the time to watch an entire hockey game. It'll take Jake years to show how good he is to those who don't watch.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
He's surpassed a few, more have surpassed him.

More have surpassed him? Please provide names who have passed him right now?

I mean, right now, redrafting...... Gurianov, Crouse, Meier, Strome, and Zacha are sliding. Barzal, Boeser, and Chabot move up (past DeBrusk and the 4 I brought up). Who else has passed DeBrusk? Sebastian Aho and MAYBE Connor (granted that's basically a wash.) That's really all I'm seeing.....

1.) McDavid
2.) Eichel
3.) Boeser
4.) Barzal
5.) Marner
6.) Werenski
7.) Provorov
8.) Hanifin
9.) Chabot
10.) Rantanen
11.) Aho
12.) DeBrusk/Connor
13.) Connor/DeBrusk

He said, "approaching" top 10 in a re-draft and that's accurate.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
More have surpassed him? Please provide names who have passed him right now?

I mean, right now, redrafting...... Gurianov, Crouse, Meier, Strome, and Zacha are sliding. Barzal, Boeser, and Chabot move up (past DeBrusk and the 4 I brought up). Who else has passed DeBrusk? Sebastian Aho and MAYBE Connor (granted that's basically a wash.) That's really all I'm seeing.....

1.) McDavid
2.) Eichel
3.) Boeser
4.) Barzal
5.) Marner
6.) Werenski
7.) Provorov
8.) Hanifin
9.) Chabot
10.) Rantanen
11.) Aho
12.) DeBrusk/Connor
13.) Connor/DeBrusk

He said, "approaching" top 10 in a re-draft and that's accurate.

In my opinion, he's on the Roslovic-Merkley tier. Keeping him around the 13-15 area he was drafted. So I guess he's keeping pace with his draft position, which is a good position to be drafted at, and he's definitely surpassed my expectations. A lot of players remain to be seen as well, I could see Samsonov doing well if and when he comes over.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
In my opinion, he's on the Roslovic-Merkley tier. Keeping him around the 13-15 area he was drafted. So I guess he's keeping pace with his draft position, which is a good position to be drafted at, and he's definitely surpassed my expectations.

Usually re-drafts are done by NHL success. So what have Roslovic and Merkley done at the NHL level that would keep him around 13-15 area?

Both players could very well be good NHL players and (in re-drafts) keep DeBrusk around where he was taken anyway, but neither have proven anything in the NHL.

Also, Merkley and his size and skating are an issue. He's 5'11'' but isn't an overly dynamic skater. He will need to prove a lot before I move him up from #30 overall.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Usually re-drafts are done by NHL success. So what have Roslovic and Merkley done at the NHL level that would keep him around 13-15 area?

Well in that case it's just far too soon to be determining a re-draft, as many haven't had the chance to play in the NHL yet. Again, these are just my opinions and how I'd expect it to shake out. Very possible that I'm wrong in the end.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Well in that case it's just far too soon to be determining a re-draft, as many haven't had the chance to play in the NHL yet. Again, these are just my opinions and how I'd expect it to shake out. Very possible that I'm wrong in the end.

I added to my post a bit. I don't particularly care for re-drafts, especially early on, if i'm being honest. Was just engaging for the sake of discussion.

Reactions: Thrive

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I added to my post a bit. I don't particularly care for re-drafts, especially early on, if i'm being honest. Was just engaging for the sake of discussion.

Fair enough, I'm happy he's doing well for you guys, I was one of many who was a little confused by the selection and it's always great to see young talent in the league.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Also, Merkley and his size and skating are an issue. He's 5'11'' but isn't an overly dynamic skater. He will need to prove a lot before I move him up from #30 overall.

Incorrect. Merkley is actually a stocky and thick 5'11 and has elite edgework. May not have the most explosive speed but his edgework gives him a sneaky effective trait. I do think Debrusk turns out better, however.

People never watched him in his draft year and really thought the Bruins blew this pick thinking Jake played like his father. The Domi factor. Most on here are highlight and stats watchers and can't take the time to watch an entire hockey game. It'll take Jake years to show how good he is to those who don't watch.

Usually the way it goes. Many HF posters think they can get away without ever watching the players.

I'm not a Bruins fan but I want to learn more about this player. However all I see are people beating the Same. Dead. Horse. Over. And. Over. about whom was picked behind the Boston trio. Irritating and frankly isn't even insightful input anymore.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
That is the point some are trying to make about the other two that were drafted with him, lets see when they get to the show. Seems they are never allowed that grace and it has to be finalized the first year. Marchand in his first 20 games never scored a goal and most thought he was a bust, imagine had those voices lead the charge and he ended up in Norway or God knows where, lol. Time people lets wait and see, not every player get gifted a perfect spot on a offensive team with no care of playing there own end and endless power play time.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
He’s got a good shot. Certainly holding at his draft position from 2015 which is a plus considering most criticized his selection at the time (thought he was about 6-10 picks too early)

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
He’s got a good shot. Certainly holding at his draft position from 2015 which is a plus considering most criticized his selection at the time (thought he was about 6-10 picks too early)

Debrusk was the consensus 25th BPA. Sweeney did real good getting this guy at 14 considering about half of the guys ranked ahead of him have arguably less value today.

People can knock Sweeney for missing Barzal. It was a huge mistake. But when you weigh that against drafting Mcavoy with 3 higher consensus BPAs still on the board(none are better today), and Debrusk with 11 consensus BPA in front of him(of which only 3 are better today) you just have to be happy taking the bad with the good understanding that drafting 17-18 year olds is a tough business. If at the 2015 draft a 21 yo version of jake debrusk was available I would have moved the 13th+ for him. Same with Carlo. If A guy like Mcavoy was available I would have traded all three 1sts.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
DeBrusk has been playing great hockey for Boston with 9 points in 8 games over this recent stretch.

Not only that, he is an absolute hound on the puck and creates a lot of turnovers and turns those into offensive opportunities.

Funnily enough, it's his playmaking and not his goal scoring that has really solidified his position as an NHL top-6 forward in his rookie year.

Considering he scored 40 in his draft year, I think he has a lot of untapped offensive potential left as a goal scorer. We aren't seeing him getting those up close opportunities to showcase his sweet hands, and probably wont till he is a little older and stronger to force himself into those areas.

Overall, very pleased with Jake's progression since being drafted.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
DeBrusk has been playing great hockey for Boston with 9 points in 8 games over this recent stretch.

Not only that, he is an absolute hound on the puck and creates a lot of turnovers and turns those into offensive opportunities.

Funnily enough, it's his playmaking and not his goal scoring that has really solidified his position as an NHL top-6 forward in his rookie year.

Considering he scored 40 in his draft year, I think he has a lot of untapped offensive potential left as a goal scorer. We aren't seeing him getting those up close opportunities to showcase his sweet hands, and probably wont till he is a little older and stronger to force himself into those areas.

Overall, very pleased with Jake's progression since being drafted.
Kids a beast, I was praying we’d land him in a trade for McD

Reactions: DrJustice

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Kids a beast, I was praying we’d land him in a trade for McD

As a Bruins fan, I see a lot of similarities to the situation the Rangers are in and the situation the Bruins were in at the 2015 draft. Trading away guys like Lucic and Hamilton (almost like Nash and McDonagh) for futures when the team had been trying to compete for years, it sucked to see.

But it just goes to show that the draft and develop model does work, even with kids drafted outside the top-10. You don't have to tank for a generational talent to be able to retool and turn your team around.

It's all about giving talented players a chance to develop like DeBrusk did in the AHL for a year, which isn't as flashy as guys who just jump into the league and produce but overall can be better for their development.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
I guess the Bruins didn’t completely blow the first round of that draft. Dude looks like a player, and Senshyn is basically the only really questionable pick for them now.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I was at the Canucks/Bruins game 3 weeks ago and Debrusk definitely stood out to me. He had 5 shots and was a hound on the puck all night. Good at opening up space for himself for a shot off the rush, or a pass if he's causing a turnover along the boards on a forecheck.

Seems to have a great head on his shoulders so the Bruine are definitely pleased with him. Hopefully Senyshyn can follow suit behind Jake and become a good 2nd line scorer.

Reactions: FanSince72

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I would take him over Connor again in the draft, kid is a complete 200 foot player already. Saturday vs the Hawks he had 3 assists 6 shots on goal 4 takeaways - 9th in rookie scoring and is plus 11. Add to that he does not get much power play time to pad his stats, usually plays about 14 minutes a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 99664987

Nov 1, 2011
Congrats to the Bruins on this pick.

From "worst pick ever" to a playoff difference maker at a young age.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
top 10 in a redraft

hes got toews intangibles so maybe top 5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad