Confirmed with Link: Luke Glendening re-signed for 4 years 1.8m/yr

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
You guys. It's like if any player on the roster isn't a first ballot HoF'er the team should just waive them outright.

Jiminy.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Sure, and if we had a guy who really looked like he ought to be playing, permanently, in a low-minute, grindy role, I'd be all for playing that guy. If you think that's Nosek, that's fine, I'd just say we disagree about him as a player. But if you're advocating someone like Holmstrom takes that spot, I'd say you're (badly) mis-using him (and he's still a few years out, from my understanding).

Look, I get the 'more of the same' mentality. It's annoying that this is yet another long term resigning by Holland for a guy who, on a good team, is totally replaceable. The fact remains that this isn't a good team, and that the problems with the team start far, far higher than it's 4th line.

It's the same thing I kept saying about Miller: this contract, on this team, with all of the other garbage on the roster, should barely elicit a shrug. Unlike Vanek, it's buryable. Unlike Abbie, he's not signed for the rest of his career. Unlike Helm, he's not blocking an NHL-ready prospect. If you want to use it as just another example of how poorly the team is run, that's fine, but this contract isn't even close to exhibit A.

I don't know, why not Sheahan? Put Athansiou and Mantha with him, and run with it. Have our "grindy" line be the third line with Helm-Glendening-Abdelkader. The Wings have sold hard on this philosophy that the top6 has to be this, the fourth line has to be that (though they rarely mention the third line, except for when Nyquist and Tatar aren't scoring enough from it). Why not have a fourth line of kids who can maybe find the back of the net? And Sheahan, of course.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
So I skimmed the thread and didn't see much if any mention of Holland's quotes about the contract extension today. Maybe we've already moved past it, but I especially like:

. “He's a really good defensive player, has the ability to play 16-18 minutes against other team’s best players.

So. You know. 16-18 minutes a night for a career high 21 points. What a bargain?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
So I skimmed the thread and didn't see much if any mention of Holland's quotes about the contract extension today. Maybe we've already moved past it, but I especially like:

So. You know. 16-18 minutes a night for a career high 21 points. What a bargain?

16-18 minutes? Did Holland really say that?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Pretty sure he played center in GR, not sure if he has at the pro level.

Yeah, I think he used to be a center, and did it at least occasionally at GR. In the NHL, from looking at the stats, he doesn't seem to get the opportunity very often.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
We'll see how good he is. At next season he still will be that 628k bargain and could develop better/build physics before his 1.8M contract will start.

He's been here for three years and is 27 years old. I think we know how good he is.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

And Less than 10 minutes for AA and Mantha! :yo:

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Honestly I don’t think its a bad deal. His IT seems inflated a lot by his PK time which is fine. Maybe he plays a minute or two more than he should even strength but Blash did say he would try to get better at distributing ice time

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Source?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Honestly I don’t think its a bad deal. His IT seems inflated a lot by his PK time which is fine. Maybe he plays a minute or two more than he should even strength but Blash did say he would try to get better at distributing ice time

Well, he only plays 14 min/game now. According to the Holland quote someone just posted, he's expected to be a 16-18 min/game player.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

And those extra minutes come from defensive zone faceoffs. He many times just comes to the faceoff and goes away, if the whole 4th line is not put on the ice.

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

“There are things a player brings to a team that maybe aren't just in goals and assists, and that's what Luke is,†general manager Ken Holland told the Free Press. “He's a really good defensive player, has the ability to play 16-18 minutes against other team’s best players. He's fearless. He's a tremendous penalty killer. He brings intangibles.â€

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...4/detroit-red-wings-luke-glendening/87077106/

I can the see the Red Wings finally cutting Zetterberg's minutes this season, only to have Glendening pick up the slack and start playing 18 minutes a game :laugh:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Let me guess what's going to happen. Glendening plays 18 min/game next season and the Wings management and coaching staff is perplexed again why the team can't score.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...4/detroit-red-wings-luke-glendening/87077106/

I can the see the Red Wings finally cutting Zetterberg's minutes this season, only to have Glendening pick up the slack and start playing 18 minutes a game :laugh:

Thanks...

and JEEZ. If that is what they think he is they are ****ing gout to lunch. Guy is not a shutdown center. Everything indicates that he is in well over his head in that role. That series against TB was 2 years ago, get over it.

Guy should not see the ice for more than 13 minutes, for any reason. I thought we hired analytics people? Great to see we are using them.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Cant wait until the Red Wings first line is Helm - Zetterberg - Glendening

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You guys. It's like if any player on the roster isn't a first ballot HoF'er the team should just waive them outright.

Jiminy.
And yet the roster has declined from a pantheon of HoFers to not a single one.

Any time now, I expect this team to win the, "Don Cherry's Favorite Team To Miss The Playoffs" Award.

All these good North American boys that work hard (and have far less talent than the GM gives them contacts for).

Hey, maybe that's the problem. Holland is literally terrified of players he didn't draft. It's a bonafide phobia, so he fills 90% of the roster with his own guys, and has nightmares of trading one away, so he rolls out the red carpet whenever they get within arm's length of leaving.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And yet the roster has declined from a pantheon of HoFers to not a single one.

Any time now, I expect this team to win the, "Don Cherry's Favorite Team To Miss The Playoffs" Award.

All these good North American boys that work hard (and have far less talent than the GM gives them contacts for).

Hey, maybe that's the problem. Holland is literally terrified of players he didn't draft. It's a bonafide phobia, so he fills 90% of the roster with his own guys, and has nightmares of trading one away, so he rolls out the red carpet whenever they get within arm's length of leaving.

I really just wonder if our Pro Scouts are clueless and not helping the problem.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I can't get over the "Luke Glendening 16-18 minutes per game against the other team's best players" quote. That's the most absurd thing i've ever heard.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
CnWn0blUsAAirue.jpg:large

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad