Confirmed with Link: Luke Glendening re-signed for 4 years 1.8m/yr

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I understand Glendening is a pretty ideal 4C and having him locked in at ~market (slightly under IMO) value is not a bad thing, but how on earth are any of Mantha, AA, Svechnikov, Bertuzzi, Sadowy going to break onto this roster if so many guys are locked in for the next few years?

Like, Holland's trouble with overstocking the roster with superfluous players is well documented on this board, and pointing it out/ making fun of it is pretty much out of style now because it is just depressing, but you'd think in 2016 he'd realize that bringing back guys like Miller is not an answer (???)

Why overstock the NHL roster just to be a bubble team?

Miller is on a 1 year deal. Pulkkinen is on a 1 year deal. Jurco has 1 year left. Vanek is on a 1 year deal. Ott is on a 1 year deal.

The Helm signing pisses me off, because the 3rd line is a great spot to implement your skilled young guys on ELC's, and he is likely eating one of those spots for almost 4 million dollars for the next 5 years.

But Glendening will be slotted as 4th line center, shouldn't really get in the way much of the guys you listed. Bert and Sadowy should be 3rd or 4th line wingers, probably start out on the 4th line. Those are actually the kind of players you want to play alongside Glendening. Let Glendening handle the defense and win faceoffs, and let them run around and be ****heads and create some offense.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sweet, but Holland isn't some idiot gm because he signed a 4th liner to a 4 year extension. He's an idiot for being too loyal to his own players.

Everyone is all ******** because Holland signed another one of his guys. I mean big ****ing surprise Luke Glendening is going to be on our team after next season, I bet no one saw that coming.
This isn't the deal you guys should be crying about.

I just don't get it. Why to whine and cry about a good contract?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I just don't get it. Why to whine and cry about a good contract?

Could we drop the facade that not liking something is akin to whining and crying? If that's how you engage your fellow posters, you're going to have a bad time.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Miller is on a 1 year deal.

But also entering his 8th year with the club.

Go around the league and try to find a guy like Drew Miller that has been with their team for 8 years. It's actually pretty hard.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

Go around the league and try to find a guy like Drew Miller that has been with their team for 8 years. It's actually pretty hard.

Eaves would still be on the team if he didn't have those concussion issues

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Oh yeah, I know.

I'm just pointing out there is a possibility for some of those guys to go, so we can open up space for some younger plays. And I hope that is what happens.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I think Nosek would be a fine 4C. Liked what I saw in his few games last season. Your point about Helm is fine but it shows the disconnect. We believe there are better options for 4C but we resign ourselves to the fact those better options won't be taken. But that means there are better options, and ones that don't depend on signing some UFA or trading for someone.

Right, but again, that's why I think this particular signing is really, really low on the list of problems right now. If the top of the roster was being competently managed, I'd be a lot more upset about how the 4th line is being managed. If Helm had been signed like a 4th line C, I'd be a lot more upset about Glendening getting re-upped for 4 more years. I'm not saying it's a great deal for the team, but I am saying it's *far* from our worst deal.

Nobody saw Glendening as a regular NHL center until Babcock jammed him into the position permanently. He was an undrafted college player with zero fanfare around him. One of Babcock's pet projects, like stuffing Abby with Datsyuk for years until it stuck.

If not for the Wing's and Babcock, I don't think Glendening ever comes close to NHL ice. A Michigan boy playing at U of M. Now, the point of that is, maybe some of the kids you don't think can cut it might actually thrive if given the chance. Our boy Luke is walking proof.

Sure, and if we had a guy who really looked like he ought to be playing, permanently, in a low-minute, grindy role, I'd be all for playing that guy. If you think that's Nosek, that's fine, I'd just say we disagree about him as a player. But if you're advocating someone like Holmstrom takes that spot, I'd say you're (badly) mis-using him (and he's still a few years out, from my understanding).

Look, I get the 'more of the same' mentality. It's annoying that this is yet another long term resigning by Holland for a guy who, on a good team, is totally replaceable. The fact remains that this isn't a good team, and that the problems with the team start far, far higher than it's 4th line.

It's the same thing I kept saying about Miller: this contract, on this team, with all of the other garbage on the roster, should barely elicit a shrug. Unlike Vanek, it's buryable. Unlike Abbie, he's not signed for the rest of his career. Unlike Helm, he's not blocking an NHL-ready prospect. If you want to use it as just another example of how poorly the team is run, that's fine, but this contract isn't even close to exhibit A.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Nobody saw Glendening as a regular NHL center until Babcock jammed him into the position permanently. He was an undrafted college player with zero fanfare around him. One of Babcock's pet projects, like stuffing Abby with Datsyuk for years until it stuck.

If not for the Wing's and Babcock, I don't think Glendening ever comes close to NHL ice. A Michigan boy playing at U of M. Now, the point of that is, maybe some of the kids you don't think can cut it might actually thrive if given the chance. Our boy Luke is walking proof.

well then maybe you should be happy Babcock saw a potential in Luke.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
well then maybe you should be happy Babcock saw a potential in Luke.

I guess. I've never been a big Glendening fan. When he was a plucky upstart battling for his spot on the team and agitating, I liked it more. He undeniably did a lot of things right to earn his spot.

Now that he's a permanent fixture for the next 5 years, an offensive black hole, and slides into the higher lines, I'm less enthusiastic.

I'm sure we'd all be just as OK if Nestrasil had stuck instead.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I guess. I've never been a big Glendening fan. When he was a plucky upstart battling for his spot on the team and agitating, I liked it more. He undeniably did a lot of things right to earn his spot.

Now that he's a permanent fixture for the next 5 years, an offensive black hole, and slides into the higher lines, I'm less enthusiastic.

I'm sure they'd be fine complaining about Holland giving Nesty an extension too. #homegrowncontract

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Another lifer joins the club. Had to rush to get that extension done a year early.

I guess I don't understand why they wouldn't wait to see how the season goes. It's it really even possible a guy like Glendening could command more than 4 years?

A Detroit Red Wings player sweater is the safest buy in sports.
997 cuts...998 cuts...999 cuts...

Bring on the exsanguination!

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I like Luke enough so I'm cool with the caphit and term. Wasn't aware that his advanced stats are as bad as they were pointed out in this thread. It's kinda surprising actually. I think he can be a difference maker at times (see series against Tampa 2 years ago). Either way he needs to have his TOI reduced a bit.

The Helm contract is the only contract I'm not happy about currently. That would change pretty quickly if we trade 2 Fwds for a Dman though.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm sure they'd be fine complaining about Holland giving Nesty an extension too. #homegrowncontract

Go look on the main forum. Neutral fans response:

That's a long deal. Interesting.

4 years? Hmm

4 years? Didn't expect that.

Term is bizarre but AAV is fine. He's a good 4th liner.

Seems really unnecessary to commit 4 years to a fourth liner, even if the cap hit isn't outrageous.

Don't see why for the term.

Are these Rangers and Leafs fans also just chronic Holland complainers you can dismiss out of hand? What exactly are they whining about for us? It's a fairly popular opinion that 4 years for a Glendening skillset is on the long side. Add that to the other terms we have on the roster, and it becomes a trend. And while no one deal is the linchpin, the culmination is the issue.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
What other conclusion is there that he retains the same group for so long on high term deals?

We heard bravado about "changes" this off-season. Datsyuk retired, the team signed Nielsen, then they locked up Helm, Miller, and Glendening. And of course the 7 year Abdelkader deal kicking in. Howard is still here. Ericsson will get top 4 minutes. Identical roster outside of one position and arguably a downgrade.

This is the band he likes. He must. We only get roster changes when a player retires, gets hurt, voluntarily leaves (Flip), or a UFA busts (Weiss).
They definitely know this is a bubble team -- and they're clearly comfortable with it being a bubble team, which is what's so frustrating.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007

Reading this thread it's quite obvious you are not :laugh:

It's hard to know what would have happened if Wings stuck with Nestrasil. He showed some promises for sure but he definitely was not threatening Luke's job or anything.

As for Glendening's extension, Blashill trusted him a ton last season. I think everyone knew pretty much that Gledening was going to get an extension from Wings. I'm actually ok with the term. I dont see Gledening fading out or anything like that. He's actually improved every season so I see an upward trajectory for him. I just wish it was for little less money. I think Holland could have brought the price down a bit more. But I feel that way for every contracts so I guess it's just me.

Btele

Apr 21, 2016
At this point, I guess I should be happy that it is not 6 or 7 years.
I hope he won't be on the protected list for expansion draft.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Glendening is a pretty important part of the team. He'll likely be wearing a letter on his sweater before long. The guy just flat outworks opponents. He wills the puck out of the zone on the pk.

What better example could you have for guys trying to get a spot on the team? "If you can outwork this guy, we'll give you a shot on the team."

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Glendening is a pretty important part of the team. He'll likely be wearing a letter on his sweater before long. The guy just flat outworks opponents. He wills the puck out of the zone on the pk.

What better example could you have for guys trying to get a spot on the team? "If you can outwork this guy, we'll give you a shot on the team."

Pretty important part of a crap team that can't get past the first round. He's not a 4th line center for a playoff contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad