Confirmed with Link: Luke Glendening re-signed for 4 years 1.8m/yr

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just seems too long for me

Don't really see an issue with it. He will turn 32 during the last month or two of the contract. That's not that old.

And it's only 1.8 million dollars. Even if his game goes to hell, half of that can be buried by sending him to the AHL, in which case we are on the hook for 850K. Not really a big deal.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Great deal and term. Not surprised the usual suspects are complaining about it, though.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'm not complaining about it so much as I just think it's an okay deal. Great deal would have been for somewhere closer to 1.25m for the same term.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Great deal and term. Not surprised the usual suspects are complaining about it, though.

It's not a great deal and term, it's a pretty run of the mill deal and term. It's not great, it's not terrible. Around 2 million is what I would have expected him to get on the market, and that's about what he got in Detroit. As I said, this isn't a discount.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Eh. I don't like it. I know he's vital defensively, but does he deserve the same contract Abby had before his extension?

Abby signed a 4 year deal for 7.2 million (1.8 m AAV) in September of 2012

Abby' numbers up until that point were: 242 games played, 18 goals, 47 points

Glendening's numbers to date are: 219 games played, 21 goals, 46 points

So pretty comparable, though Glendening has more usage (TOI) in less games.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah not to bad of a deal, And Holland has another Michigan kid locked up for the next 5 years or so. Now just need to get DeKeyser and Mrazek resigned and trade for a D man and should be good to go.

Aug 6, 2012
Meh deal. 4 years is a long time for a 4th liner but Glenny is pretty consistent.

Wish we could just fast forward five years since we'll have the same exact roster.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Small, not fast, unskilled, poor at faceoffs and not that physical 4th line center for 2M for the next 4 years....

**** Ken Holland

Remind me to not listen to your player evaluations ever again.

He's not the most physical guy but he certainly knows how to push other player's buttons.

Not the most ideal cap hit, but it isn't bad, at all. He's been very reliable to this point as well.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Dude can only a PK and win face offs. He's not very good. A replaceable 4th liner is locked up for the next 5 years for a decent chunk of change.

The direction of this squad is pretty damn awful.

Whoever inevitably replaces Kenny has a long, arduous up hill climb. He'll have more work on his hands than Ron Hextall has in cleaning up Paul Holmgrem's messes.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan

Plus Glendening's deal runs through more ufa years. And the cap is also 9 mil higher so its more like 1.57 ish million. So looking through all of that, I think its a pretty good deal.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Dude can only a PK and win face offs. He's not very good. A replaceable 4th liner is locked up for the next 5 years for a decent chunk of change.

Whoever inevitably replaces Kenny has a long, arduous up hill climb. He'll have more work on his hands than Ron Hextall has in cleaning up Paul Holmgrem's messes.

Glendening at 1.8M is fine. Miller and Ott at 1.8M combined are garbage.

A fast, gritty, 4th liner who wins faceoffs and is a decent PKer at 1.8M is whatever. I think he's overused but there's a list of 4-6 issues on my list that are problems way before Glendening is.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Glendening at 1.8M is fine. Miller and Ott at 1.8M combined are garbage.

A fast, gritty, 4th liner who wins faceoffs and is a decent PKer at 1.8M is whatever. I think he's overused but there's a list of 4-6 issues on my list that are problems way before Glendening is.

1.8 is still not great, but it is a secondary concern to locking up a 4th line player for 5 years. Usage remains a problem, of course.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I know that he is a terrible possession player from an offensive standpoint.

But if his minutes can be limited like they should be, and he can be deployed on a 4th line with more talented wingers than guys like Miller and Andersson, he really should be fine.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
1.8 is still not great, but it is a secondary concern to locking up a 4th line player for 5 years. Usage remains a problem, of course.

He is 27, and half his contract can be buried by sending him down if need be.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I know that he is a terrible possession player from an offensive standpoint.

But if his minutes can be limited like they should be, and he can be deployed on a 4th line with more talented wingers than guys like Miller and Andersson, he really should be fine.

Yeah his possession numbers are awful which is why I don't love the term. Not worth getting too worked up about, there are easily a half dozen worse contracts on this roster right now.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

So yes, he does. Who knew?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Glendening deal does not belong grouped with those two.

The Glendening and Miller deals are fine, pretty much the definition of inconsequential.

The Helm and Abdelkader deals are bad (Helm deal bad from day 1, Abdelakder's will be due to ridiculous term IMO).

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Glendening deal does not belong grouped with those two.

The Glendening and Miller deals are fine, pretty much the definition of inconsequential.

The Helm and Abdelkader deals are bad (Helm deal bad from day 1, Abdelakder's will be due to ridiculous term IMO).

See that's where I disagree. He won't be buried because he's been locked up for the next five years. He's absolutely apart of this series of bad contracts. Glendening's usage is as equally pants on head stupid as Abdelkader's and Helm's. The organization views him differently than a sane person.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Glendening's usage is as equally pants on head stupid as Abdelkader's and Helm's. The organization views him differently than a sane person.

That I agree with. Also think his inappropriate usage factors into his terrible fancy stats.

But use him properly and I think he's fine. Don't match him up against other team's top lines and don't play him 14-15 minutes a night. Give him 10-12 minute a night to PK, provide energy, and win key faceoffs. And then it's not a big deal.

And we have plenty of forwards that could become ready for a bottom 6 role in the next 5 years, and Holland might not even be GM in 5 years. Blashill probably isn't coach in 5 years. Tons of variables to say he won't get buried, it's definitely possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad