Confirmed with Link: Luke Glendening re-signed for 4 years 1.8m/yr

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
I can't get over the "Luke Glendening 16-18 minutes per game against the other team's best players" quote. That's the most absurd thing i've ever heard.

Thanks...

and JEEZ. If that is what they think he is they are ****ing gout to lunch. Guy is not a shutdown center. Everything indicates that he is in well over his head in that role. That series against TB was 2 years ago, get over it.

Guy should not see the ice for more than 13 minutes, for any reason. I thought we hired analytics people? Great to see we are using them.

Yeah it's probably the most depressing thing I've read today lol. I don't want to make this a bash Holland thing, but man. This guy is completely delusional, or at least incredibly out of touch with reality.

Either way I want some of whatever he's on.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
And Less than 10 minutes for AA and Mantha! :yo:

My favorite part about that is that in most quotes about AA Holland has praised how he can be effective only playing 9 minutes a night and still be effective, and that he makes things happen with that time.

What is Luke going to do with his 16-18 minutes a night? At some point in a game someone on this team is going to have to score a goal.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why is Corsi For% used there when analysing defensive players? And I mean, "defensive ONLY" players. Shooting data (another part of CorsiFor%) won't matter ******* in their cases.

Only advanced stat which could matter is his Corsi against or Goals against.

I always hate when analyses go this way on a misleading way with some defensive players. Their main job is not to create scoring attempts. It's to prevent them, and in Glendening's case, only prevent. He is not an offensive player, which is big part of Corsi For% numbers, and why does his numbers look very bad. On his extra shifts, he goes to the defensive zone to take the faceoff, and goes back on the bench. No scoring attempt for, never. But if he loses the faceoff, instant scoring attempt against. His Corsi stats are heavily depended of the totally different usage on the ice. And then comes these fancystats/HERO charts guys to tell everybody how bad he is...

How about his long-term GA in last 4 years? TOP3 defensive player preventing goals.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...750&teamid=11&type=goals&sort=A60&sortdir=ASC

In my analyzes, he will let shots go through from easy angle so goalies can cherrypick = worse Corsi/Shot against, but great GA against.

Last edited:

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Pretty important part of a crap team that can't get past the first round. He's not a 4th line center for a playoff contender.

Hy, don't sugar coat things, tell us how you really feel! We currently are a playoff contender, though certainly not a cup contender.
Currently I'd say we're trending toward "crap team" at a pretty good clip, but there's still time to turn us toward the right direction...
Not sure if I have much faith in that getting done however.

Still, I'm ok with this signing. Not tickled, not pissed, but ok.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I don't know, why not Sheahan? Put Athansiou and Mantha with him, and run with it. Have our "grindy" line be the third line with Helm-Glendening-Abdelkader. The Wings have sold hard on this philosophy that the top6 has to be this, the fourth line has to be that (though they rarely mention the third line, except for when Nyquist and Tatar aren't scoring enough from it). Why not have a fourth line of kids who can maybe find the back of the net? And Sheahan, of course.

If they're given an appropriate role for their respective skill set, I'm all in. I just don't want to see Mantha and AA jammed onto a line where they're told to do what Jurco's done for the last few years, and given the way the Wings seem to use their lines, I fear that's exactly what would happen.

I think it was you who mentioned Sheahan elsewhere, and I'd tend to agree with him on that line, too, I just don't see it as possible with the current coaching/line management.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Exactly same what Matt Cullen did for Pittsburgh, what Marcus Kruger does for Chicago and what Jarret Stoll/Colin Fraser did for LA Kings. What Gregory Campbell did for Boston.

Winning hockey.

So when does the winning part start for us?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Exactly same what Matt Cullen did for Pittsburgh, what Marcus Kruger does for Chicago and what Jarret Stoll/Colin Fraser did for LA Kings. What Gregory Campbell did for Boston.

Winning hockey.

The same Matt Cullen that scored 16 goals last year? Weird.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Good contract. Luke is the kind of guy who all of a sudden could score 20 out of nowhere and get way overpaid, so smarter to lock him up at a good cap hit. Minimal risk this contract hurts us in any way.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=0&type=goals&sort=SvPct&sortdir=DESC

Somehow goalies tend to have great SV% when Glendening is on the ice. That is a 4-season sample size, so not anything short-sighted with a luck factor. I includes Howard's bad seasons only, and Gustavsson's "solid" efforts from recent years. Not just superb Mrazek stats.

I back again on my theory, he pushes people to shoot from bad angles and more from point (lesser probability for a goal), and goalies can cherrypick again.

Steve Ott also bounced up from the same list. When looking these Ott statistics, good things bouncing up here and there, and I'm more and more convinced that he will outplay Miller with landslide for a 4th line spot and Miller is just an injury replacement. 14th forward at maximum or waived.

Gledening+Ott is a nice double-pest duo for becoming season. Not just Glendening alone anymore. they should be a lot more effective together. Pain to play against.

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Why is Corsi For% used there when analysing defensive players? And I mean, "defensive ONLY" players. Shooting data (another part of CorsiFor%) won't matter ******* in their cases.

Only advanced stat which could matter is his Corsi against or Goals against.

I always hate when analyses go this way on a misleading way with some defensive players. Their main job is not to create scoring attempts. It's to prevent them, and in Glendening's case, only prevent. He is not an offensive player, which is big part of Corsi For% numbers, and why does his numbers look very bad. On his extra shifts, he goes to the defensive zone to take the faceoff, and goes back on the bench. No scoring attempt for, never. But if he loses the faceoff, instant scoring attempt against. His Corsi stats are heavily depended of the totally different usage on the ice. And then comes these fancystats/HERO charts guys to tell everybody how bad he is...

How about his long-term GA in last 4 years? TOP3 defensive player preventing goals.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...750&teamid=11&type=goals&sort=A60&sortdir=ASC

In my analyzes, he will let shots go through from easy angle so goalies can cherrypick = worse Corsi/Shot against, but great GA against.

Joakim Andersson is even better. So why did everyone hate him and want him off the team?

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Good contract. Luke is the kind of guy who all of a sudden could score 20 out of nowhere and get way overpaid, so smarter to lock him up at a good cap hit. Minimal risk this contract hurts us in any way.

20 points yes. 20 goals for Luke nope. The only team that is going to overpay him is the wings.

I just hope Blash doesn't overplay him again this season. Play him like a 4th liner 8-12 minutes

a night. I'm okay with Luke, but the wings have too many players like him, that struggle to score.

Miller, Helm, Jurco, Sheahan. Looks like the wings will be near the bottom in goals scored again:help:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Luke will never score 20 goals. The skill gap between Luke and everyone else on the team is very, very large. On top of that he has never displayed any real goal scoring instincts. He can still be a useful player but he will NEVER come close to scoring 20 goals.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If they're given an appropriate role for their respective skill set, I'm all in. I just don't want to see Mantha and AA jammed onto a line where they're told to do what Jurco's done for the last few years, and given the way the Wings seem to use their lines, I fear that's exactly what would happen.

I think it was you who mentioned Sheahan elsewhere, and I'd tend to agree with him on that line, too, I just don't see it as possible with the current coaching/line management.

Yeah, I'm pretty much at that point and know nothing really different is going to happen. Admittedly, I'm growing frustrated following this team and how it operates now. I can be okay with a mediocre, or even bad, team if it feels like the organization is productively moving forward or is at least entertaining. This is just...ugh.

So when does the winning part start for us?

When we draft the best center of his generation and a big Russian who isn't far behind.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=0&type=goals&sort=SvPct&sortdir=DESC

Somehow goalies tend to have great SV% when Glendening is on the ice. That is a 4-season sample size, so not anything short-sighted with a luck factor. I includes Howard's bad seasons only, and Gustavsson's "solid" efforts from recent years. Not just superb Mrazek stats.

I back again on my theory, he pushes people to shoot from bad angles and more from point (lesser probability for a goal), and goalies can cherrypick again.

Steve Ott also bounced up from the same list. When looking these Ott statistics, good things bouncing up here and there, and I'm more and more convinced that he will outplay Miller with landslide for a 4th line spot and Miller is just an injury replacement. 14th forward at maximum or waived.

Gledening+Ott is a nice double-pest duo for becoming season. Not just Glendening alone anymore. they should be a lot more effective together. Pain to play against.

Martin would have been a nice compliment to them. Or anyone who would really take the body and not be a black hole on the ice. Be nice if the guy had some wheels, too. I think you're reading the Miller situation wrong, though. I think you're looking at the fourth line with Miller next to those two,

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Luke will never score 20 goals. The skill gap between Luke and everyone else on the team is very, very large. On top of that he has never displayed any real goal scoring instincts. He can still be a useful player but he will NEVER come close to scoring 20 goals.

I'm trying to imagine how many backhands he'd have to attempt to score 20 goals.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, I'm pretty much at that point and know nothing really different is going to happen. Admittedly, I'm growing frustrated following this team and how it operates now. I can be okay with a mediocre, or even bad, team if it feels like the organization is productively moving forward or is at least entertaining. This is just...ugh.

We are in the same place. And it's funny, because I don't really hate this deal, but it brings out all those feelings. It's another example of players being locked up for Presidential terms or longer that aren't star quality on a roster that has underachieved. The frustration. The apparent apathy in the management. The lack of entertaining hockey (goals help).

I think that's my new measuring stick. If you're getting tenure for longer than the President of the United States, you better be really damn good.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If a million Glendenings shooting a million backhands at a million goalies, you might get 20 goals.

Or you might get Shakespeare.

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.

8LKqRCR.png

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Martin would have been a nice compliment to them. Or anyone who would really take the body and not be a black hole on the ice. Be nice if the guy had some wheels, too. I think you're reading the Miller situation wrong, though. I think you're looking at the fourth line with Miller next to those two,

There was no cap space for Matt Martin. Gledening next season 628k + Ott 800k + Miller 1.025k is less as combined caphit (2.45M) than Martin 2.5M alone (!).

That's... hilarious. :laugh:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
There was no cap space for Matt Martin. Gledening next season 628k + Ott 800k + Miller 1.025k is less as combined caphit (2.45M) than Martin 2.5M alone (!).

That's... hilarious. :laugh:

Well, you're laughing at the Red Wings management, too. He turned the Wings down, not the other way around.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He had 12 goals one year, not saying I think he will get 20 but the stars could align for him one year. Maybe he gets a net-front role on the PP, maybe injuries put him up with more skilled players, maybe he just shoots at 25% one season. It's not that farfetched. Guys like Glenny sometimes have those weird years and end up overpaid. Nice to avoid that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Well, you're laughing at the Red Wings management, too. He turned the Wings down, not the other way around.

Red Wings offered reasonable money and I should laugh for them? Okay.

It's pretty obvious that Martin went for the highest bidder who had extra air on their cap to overpay. Don't mind at all we got Ott with a bargain/risk-free price.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Red Wings offered reasonable money and I should laugh for it? Okay.

It's pretty obvious that Martin went for the highest bidder. Don't mind at all we got Ott with a bargain/risk-free price.

Is it? That sounds like something you made up.

What part of "front-loaded four year offer" makes you think it was any less than $2.5 million a year? How could you possibly front-load a deal worth $1.5 million a year in any way that's substantial to this player?

The Wings gave a competitive offer, with the same term, to a guy you claim is overpaid. That's the point. If you're going to laugh at the idea of signing Martin to that contract, you need to consider the Wings were prepared to do the exact same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad