London Knights 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Not to the extent of football or basketball athletes but the best hockey players are getting endorsements .
The money for hockey players though isn't enough that its a major factor in deciding CHL vs NCAA.

For the high end guys it's just easier to stay in America. The outcome is basically the same. They make the AHL around 20/21. They're aren't too many that get there much earlier than that and the ones that do would be the same types getting to the NHL early out of the CHL. It's just a matter of preference with regards to things like coaching, family etc. Plus the overall quality of play has improved in the NCAA over the past 15 years or so. CHL hasn't gotten worse, NCAA just picked it's game up.

For the mid to low level guys, NCAA is great for them too. Can take their time. Be a 20 yr old freshman. Be 23 by the time they hit pros and be fully developed physically. Makes the transition easier. Their ceiling might not be higher but they can maybe carve out a 3rd or 4th line role for themselves. Or worse case have a nice AHL career.

The gap between CHL and NCAA isn't a thing anymore. It's just easier for most Americans to stay put.

Reactions: rve24

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
After Rogers sorted out the technical difficulties, I was able to watch the final 2 periods. Medvedev, 16, impressive debut between the pipes taking over from Willmore at the halfway point and not allowing a goal. Athletic goalie and a battler. Fagan played much better than in his first pre-season game. Hope there's a spot for Bruz (#2) on defence when the regular season begins. Copeland seemed a little too cookie cutter for me, Gilmartin type player, fluid skater, good hands but there's something missing. That's just after one viewing and so not a reliable indicator of what's to come. Just first impressions to be fair.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
After Rogers sorted out the technical difficulties, I was able to watch the final 2 periods. Medvedev, 16, impressive debut between the pipes taking over from Willmore at the halfway point and not allowing a goal. Athletic goalie and a battler. Fagan played much better than in his first pre-season game. Hope there's a spot for Bruz (#2) on defence when the regular season begins. Copeland seemed a little too cookie cutter for me, Gilmartin type player, fluid skater, good hands but there's something missing. That's just after one viewing and so not a reliable indicator of what's to come. Just first impressions to be fair.
Is Copeland considered a top 9 or top 6 forward?

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Is Copeland considered a top 9 or top 6 forward?
If Copeland find his grove he can be a very good addition for London. For the little bit we saw last night (TV difficulties) and a little bit of films on him, we are seeing someone who is searching himself but we could clearly see the kid has a lot of talent in him. If he plays smart with the right teammates he can play top six hockey, need more games to see where he could fit in, he won't be your top point getter on your team thought. IMHO

Matt93

Sep 30, 2005
I was at the game. Medvedev has very quick reflexes and never gives up on a puck. He will definitely be the goalie of the future.

I liked Boulton's game. He is a wrecking ball out there finishing his checks. I didn't like the fight as there wasn't much to the play and I don't think the Erie player wanted to go at all.

Fagan looked out of sorts but is expected from a 16yr old. Erie's first goal he was stripped at his blueline quite easily. As season in Jr B will do him well.

Brzustewicz played well and had a nice wrist shot for a goal. He will be like Dickinson last season.

Dickinson rushed the puck too much and tried dangling in the neutral zone too many times. I am hoping it's only because it is exhibition. He won't get away with that in regular season against vets.

No other players really stood out for me.

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
With Jack Beck off to Soo, I wonder if London pivots to NB, Peterborough or possibly OS or Windsor for one of their extra OA’s.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
With Jack Beck off to Soo, I wonder if London pivots to NB, Peterborough or possibly OS or Windsor for one of their extra OA’s.
It would be wise for London not to waste anymore cards just yet, might be best wait and see approach what other teams are doing and adjust accordingly at the dead line. Windsor showed us you don't always win with a loaded team while London showed you can with proper adjustment. IMHO Cheers!

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005
Some observances from St. Thomas...

Ryder Boulton will make the team as the 13th forward.
Dale's kind of player. Gives 100% on every shift. Will be a fan favorite very quickly.

The future goaltending star of this team is Alexei Medvedev.
Incredible reflexes and great positional play.

There are some great rookies who could play close to the OHL level right now, just not in London.

Last edited:

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
The money for hockey players though isn't enough that its a major factor in deciding CHL vs NCAA.

For the high end guys it's just easier to stay in America. The outcome is basically the same. They make the AHL around 20/21. They're aren't too many that get there much earlier than that and the ones that do would be the same types getting to the NHL early out of the CHL. It's just a matter of preference with regards to things like coaching, family etc. Plus the overall quality of play has improved in the NCAA over the past 15 years or so. CHL hasn't gotten worse, NCAA just picked it's game up.

For the mid to low level guys, NCAA is great for them too. Can take their time. Be a 20 yr old freshman. Be 23 by the time they hit pros and be fully developed physically. Makes the transition easier. Their ceiling might not be higher but they can maybe carve out a 3rd or 4th line role for themselves. Or worse case have a nice AHL career.

The gap between CHL and NCAA isn't a thing anymore. It's just easier for most Americans to stay put.
I'm not saying it's THE reason to choose the NcAA but it's one factor against the CHL.

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
If Mark can some how get Djibeil Toure from Sudbury he would be monster on the backend and shouldn't cost much

Reactions: LDN

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Yup ! Experience brings knowledge, but thanks for the ill-informed argument. Moving On
Ill informed? Ok if you say so lol.
Guess we should all accept your wisdom n posts as gospel.
So sorry. I've been corrected lol.

Last edited:

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Mehhh game. Gaz looked good.
Dicky is gonna be a beast this year.
Bowen? Not sure yet.
Still think EMAC17 will be your next London Knights Captain.

Reactions: sbpointer

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I hear ya.....
But with junior hockey as opposed to Hollywood it's about grassroots, nuetral sites to give back......blah blah. ( or so they say ;) )
I've seen a huge shift of the last 20 years. I'll stop now.......I'm just getting older n miss being involved when $ wasn't the only vonsidrration.
Certainly this isn't the only reason but of course we have seen massive declines in Kids playing the game at the minor hockey level. Perhaps a free òr cheap admission for today's kids to see the game with local "heros" involved would spark interest in a youngster? Aw the good old days ... o_Oo_O
I have a young Grandson that has parents who would like there Grandpa to get him involved in hockey. Challenge is I want him to play but I want him to play the game I got to play and love so much. Not sure it's out there anymore?

Last edited:

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I realize our fellow Knights supporter Otto is battling some health issues of late so when I don't see him posting and offering up his opinions it makes me a bit nervous? Here is hoping Otto you are doing well and are just resting up preparing for a super successful season with a deep run in the playoffs ultimately ending up in Saginaw next May?

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Still think EMAC17 will be your next London Knights Captain.
Great choice for his dedication and perseverance to the game! However with the depth chart on the backend super stacked do you think he will see the ice enough and especially at those key moments where having your "C" on the ice for communication with the zebras can be important?

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
O’Reilly looked really strong in the faceoff circle. It will be interesting to see if he sticks at Center.

Not much chemistry at all between the forwards that got rolled out last night. Gazizov was by far the most dangerous Knight.

Boulton plays a very interesting straight forward checking style and brings energy every shift. His skating is better than I expected…. Might be fast enough to make the team.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
O’Reilly looked really strong in the faceoff circle. It will be interesting to see if he sticks at Center.

Not much chemistry at all between the forwards that got rolled out last night. Gazizov was by far the most dangerous Knight.

Boulton plays a very interesting straight forward checking style and brings energy every shift. His skating is better than I expected…. Might be fast enough to make the team.
If Boulton doesn't make the team, it'll be because there is an imposter behind the Knights bench. After watching the much younger version, now we understand why Humphrey is in Niagara

Reactions: LDN and zman77

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Looking back on the Copeland trade Mark is a master
Trading Humphrey away get something before he got released
Basically Copeland,2nd & 3rd for Paris

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
Looking back on the Copeland trade Mark is a master
Trading Humphrey away get something before he got released
Basically Copeland,2nd & 3rd for Paris

Guessing Humphrey would rather go play close to home than play with a franchise in disarray.

Sad. League should really step in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad