London Knights 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015

'Outstanding' Maple Leafs rookie Easton Cowan to suit up vs. Sabres​

Head coach Sheldon Keefe told reporters Cowan will play Wednesday when the Maple Leafs take on the Buffalo Sabres in St. Thomas, Ont.
"Seems like almost every day he's out there, you come away thinking he was one of the best players on the ice," Keefe said. "So, just keep stacking together good days and see what happens."
Cowan had a goal and an assist in his pre-season debut Monday against the Ottawa Senators.
"He was outstanding," Keefe said after the game. "Every time he got out there, he was making something happen."
The Maple Leafs selected Cowan in the first round, 28th overall, during the NHL Draft in June.
The 18-year-old from Strathroy, Ont., had 20 goals and 53 points in 68 games with the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League last season.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Not many 28th overall picks make it in their draft year, if any at all? especially a player who the leafs reached to get, because he was ranked as a late second rounder.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cowan, Great player. I just would be completely shocked to see him stick with the leafs this year. I think it is more so, a case of the leafs not only pumping up a kids confidence, but also pumping him to the media because they were scrutinized a bit for reaching for him.
Exactly this. Last year, there was exactly one player from the entire draft class that played beyond the 9 game mark, and that was the first overall pick. The previous draft class only had Cole Sillinger (12th overall pick in 2021) and that has proved to be a mistake that has stunted Sillinger's development.

Only the elite 18 year olds should be in the NHL (e.g. Bedard or McDavid). Cowan still has a lot to learn in the OHL, especially offensively, and keeping him playing limited minutes against men will stunt that. So much of his game stems from his tenacity in the corners, but until he gains strength he'll get steamrolled by NHL blueliners.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Another surgery coming up

I like Simpson...I don't see him as a game stealer though
He was a game stealer in
I was thinking the same thing but Adam clearly beat the Knights almost singlehandedly by playing incredible. Simpson .... I didn't see that. Simpson gives me Trevor Can't vibes and not just because he's coming in from Peterborough. I hope he proves me wrong and I hope Bowen is lights out for the Pete's....I think the fresh start might do him some good.
Michael Simpson is a far better goaltender than Trevor Cann was. London is getting a really good goaltender.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Anyone who doesn't think the knights are all in this year is delusional

Medvedev made Bowen expendable

The ship has sailed for holding off until next year with Hagens committing to college (as one of the people who was advocating for not going all in this season).

The defence is more than set for this season. MacKinnon could be a candidate to be replaced with an overager that can lead the second line offensively. I think MacKinnon and Leonard are roughly equal in terms of overall ability, but Leonard has the benefit of being right handed and is not an OA. I think Brzustewicz has proved this preseason that he can handle being a bottom pairing defenceman this season.

Ideally, a Diaco and a Winterton would be the ideal acquisitions again this season. As it stands, the ability for this team to score goals is completely shouldered by the 05s. We'll see the steps that Barkey and Cowan took this season, but it'd be nice to have some more sure-fire secondary offensive pieces. Crane/Gazizov/Julien/McCue might be able to elevate their game, but they've all been inconsistent in their OHL careers at creating offensively.

Barkey-Cowan-Halttunen
OA/04-OA/04-Gazizov
McCue-Julien-O'Rielly
Copeland-Nicholl-Sim

Dickinson-Bonk
George-Leonard
Edward-Brz

Simpson
Willmore

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
The ship has sailed for holding off until next year with Hagens committing to college (as one of the people who was advocating for not going all in this season).

The defence is more than set for this season. MacKinnon could be a candidate to be replaced with an overager that can lead the second line offensively. I think MacKinnon and Leonard are roughly equal in terms of overall ability, but Leonard has the benefit of being right handed and is not an OA. I think Brzustewicz has proved this preseason that he can handle being a bottom pairing defenceman this season.

Ideally, a Diaco and a Winterton would be the ideal acquisitions again this season. As it stands, the ability for this team to score goals is completely shouldered by the 05s. We'll see the steps that Barkey and Cowan took this season, but it'd be nice to have some more sure-fire secondary offensive pieces. Crane/Gazizov/Julien/McCue might be able to elevate their game, but they've all been inconsistent in their OHL careers at creating offensively.

Barkey-Cowan-Halttunen
OA/04-OA/04-Gazizov
McCue-Julien-O'Rielly
Copeland-Nicholl-Sim

Dickinson-Bonk
George-Leonard
Edward-Brz

Simpson
Willmore
I still think it’ll be wait and see and London will spend within their internal constraints. All about how the market develops. They’re not giving up on this year but also not giving up on the future either.
I think they are banking on some natural progression from the 04s and then you have the two 06s who tore up the GOJHL. Their performances will likely tell the org how to approach the deadline.

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I agree. It might be a bit of wait and see for a couple of months to see what they got/need. I think O’Reilly and Nicholl are the wildcards here. If they can produce effectively then we might not need to add.

Very pleased this Simpson move was made prior to game 1. Getting that sorted out was vital to having a good start. Let’s hope the team gels and gets going early.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
I still think it’ll be wait and see and London will spend within their internal constraints. All about how the market develops. They’re not giving up on this year but also not giving up on the future either.
I think they are banking on some natural progression from the 04s and then you have the two 06s who tore up the GOJHL. Their performances will likely tell the org how to approach the deadline.
Yes I think that’s how they are gonna go.

Most recent example of players playing in Jr. B in their rookie year is Logan Mailloux, Oliver Bonk and Easton Cowan (all 1st round NHL picks).

If Sam O’Rielly and William Nichol progress well which I expect they will, them along with Gazizov could fill out that top 6 very nicely and they can start the next wave of future leaders for the Knights. I don’t expect them to be 1st round NHL picks, but they will be good players.

If by chance they don’t progress, I would think Mark would look at guys like Owen Beck and Connor Lockhart. (I do secretly think there is a Pete’s trade part 2, which will include draft picks).

Reactions: frontsfan67 and LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017

What’s this all about?

Most recent example of players playing in Jr. B in their rookie year is Logan Mailloux, Oliver Bonk and Easton Cowan (all 1st round NHL picks).

If Sam O’Rielly and William Nichol progress well which I expect they will, them along with Gazizov could fill out that top 6 very nicely and they can start the next wave of future leaders for the Knights. I don’t expect them to be 1st round NHL picks, but they will be good players.

If by chance they don’t progress, I would think Mark would look at guys like Owen Beck and Connor Lockhart. (I do secretly think there is a Pete’s trade part 2, which will include draft picks).
Interesting indeed.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

Does London has enough draft picks to be able to trade for both Owen Beck and Connor Lockhart? The Petes are going to want a minimum of two, 2nds, one, 3rd and a 4th for Beck along with a good 17 year old player and Lockhart will likely go for either a good player and a 3rd or a 2nd and a 3rd. I truly believe that Connor Lockhart will be with Petes for the season.

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
George took an awkward hit/fall into the end boards tonight. Didn’t play a whole lot after that.

Don’t think Edward played for Boston.

Halttunen currently playing with SJ as they finish their game tonight.

Reactions: LDN and zman77

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
If my math is correct we lost 110 goals from last years team and added 10 (Copeland) so we are needing 100 goals to get back to last years number of 269. I would say based on the improvement and the additions (Nicholl and O’Reilly ) it should be doable. With that being said the our GF last year was about as low as it could be for a top team. I’d say we need to get between 280-300 goals which means we need to add 125 ish

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Low end expectations based on their playoffs

Barkey and Cowan around 30-40 goals and 80 points each. Halttunen has the potential to hit 50 goals if he meets his potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad