London Knights 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
You guys are going to be incredible this year. Best coach in the league, Best goaltending in the west- best defence in the league probably and a good group of forwards. I definitely see you guys adding to your forward group though. Maybe a top 6 player or two?

Matt93

Sep 30, 2005
Bowen may turn out to be a good goaltender in this league but he looked shaky in pre-season because he probably knew the writing was on the wall. Wilmore and Medvedev looked better.

Hopefully Wilmore will get more starts this season to prepare for next season but we all know Dale likes to ride his #1 to 50+ starts.

Reactions: frontsfan67
Welcome back PP 🙏
Hope your healing up well!
Another surgery coming up

I was thinking the same thing but Adam clearly beat the Knights almost singlehandedly by playing incredible. Simpson .... I didn't see that. Simpson gives me Trevor Can't vibes and not just because he's coming in from Peterborough. I hope he proves me wrong and I hope Bowen is lights out for the Pete's....I think the fresh start might do him some good.
I like Simpson...I don't see him as a game stealer though

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Another surgery coming up

I like Simpson...I don't see him as a game stealer though

Doesn’t have to be the “game stealer” with the defense we have in front of him. Just needs to make the timely saves and keep us in it. Something that Zach Bowen couldn’t do last year and potentially this year. Maybe he does get there, but we need someone who can shut the door for this “go for it” year. That’s Michael Simpson.

Reactions: LDN
Doesn’t have to be the “game stealer” with the defense we have in front of him. Just needs to make the timely saves and keep us in it. Something that Zach Bowen couldn’t do last year and potentially this year. Maybe he does get there, but we need someone who can shut the door for this “go for it” year. That’s Michael Simpson.
When was the last time our D actually lived up to pre-season expectations?

Reactions: Fastpace

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
You gotta wondering how our second line shapes up. Do we eventually get someone like Owen Beck to drive that line. Do we wait and see how William Nichol and Sam O’Rielly adjust and could take that spot by Christmas. So many possibilities….

But I do think Kaeden Johnstone, Brody Crane and Juan Copeland become expendable and could be used as chips to get some picks or a player back in return.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I’m not talking about preseason lol.

Last edited:

ArielNederland

Jun 21, 2021
The way Keefe talked about cowan, it sounds like they are giving him every opportunity to make their roster. They really like him, so it might be a long time before we see him again

You gotta wondering how our second line shapes up. Do we eventually get someone like Owen Beck to drive that line. Do we wait and see how William Nichol and Sam O’Rielly adjust and could take that spot by Christmas. So many possibilities….

But I do think Kaeden Johnstone, Brody Crane and Juan Copeland become expendable and could be used as chips to get some picks or a player back in return.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I’m not talking about preseason lol.
Well..since the season hasn't started...you are discussing preseason whether you like it or not

TheOrangePylon

Jan 4, 2023
London, ON
The way Keefe talked about cowan, it sounds like they are giving him every opportunity to make their roster. They really like him, so it might be a long time before we see him again
Not many 28th overall picks make it in their draft year, if any at all? especially a player who the leafs reached to get, because he was ranked as a late second rounder.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cowan, Great player. I just would be completely shocked to see him stick with the leafs this year. I think it is more so, a case of the leafs not only pumping up a kids confidence, but also pumping him to the media because they were scrutinized a bit for reaching for him.

SteveCrow1

Aug 31, 2021
If george and/or cowan make their teams, then a rebuild/ retool might be needed since we don't have the picks to replace them
George will be back in London - am an Islander fan so know Lou Lamariello favors vets and Islanders have a deep veteran defense. Hopefully George has a great season back in London then no doubt a couple of seasons in the AHL before he gets a legit shot at the NHL.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Actually, I honestly can't remember....and that's going back over the entire Hunter era. I believe that the team we saw ( past season ) and the team we will be seeing ( upcoming season ) is the result of the players that Mark has managed to assemble. Not all that many threats to challenge for the league scoring title within recent memory. Offense has been average to mediocre at best.

However, the d-corps are an entirely different story, in that there are some elite-level players in that position on the current roster. Dale played to the team's strength last season, and managed to get to the Championship final. This season, those d-men are a year older, a bit stronger, and experienced.
No reason not to have high expectations this go round. A tweak to strengthen their secondary scoring might be enough to get this team another title.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Last year?
Covid year?
Both exceeded my expectations going in but I tend to stay away from hyperbole lol ;)
Hope alls well.
This D as is, barring injury will be solid.......I'd put it up against any 7 in the league.
Time will tell.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Not even close....without Brochu everyone will tell you we had nothing back there

Never seen it yet in my viewing...

Not everyone, sorry. Brochu made a huge difference but the D was strong. Give me an EC team that had better talent, mix and performance last year......
Quick to pucks, good outlets, transition, provided O.....yes mistakes but every Jr team does. The drove the offense alot more than normal by transition, rotating deep in the OZone......
We coulda had 1st place Windsors D ;) t

Ya don't get those team D #s with crap D n a great G. I'll say BB was the difference in 1 G low scoring games as he usually outplayed the opposite tender but they D lead the skaters and the overall #s are a team effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knights Watcher

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
Good value in this deal for the Petes considering the overage supply league wide.

Agree with others - re forwards. Need continuous improvement from Gazizov, Crane, Julien and breakouts from O’Reilly and Nicholl (when healthy). Assuming everyone is returned from the NHL.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Stellar yes...but I see him as more of a solid all around tender than a game changer. Brochu took games by himself
There is no Brochu this year, my target was Simpson. We have excellent defence and a great cast of forwards and youth for the next three years.

I see maybe moving a nichol/o’Reilly at the deadline for a O Beck type… might have to pay to play. This team now has an OHL championship goalie who won games in a memorial cup… no other team has that between the pipes!

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Stellar yes...but I see him as more of a solid all around tender than a game changer. Brochu took games by himself

From what little I saw in the O I'd agree but that's limited to games vs. London. Maybe you tuned to Petes games last year not involving LK?
Pre O.....I can't judge MM goalies potential lol Def. no goalie scout here.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhlyerPhanatic31

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Well I think the reality is, for the goalies available this year, we would have had to pay up huge for the game-changer in Dominic DiVincentis. He’s in a tier of his own… so we got the next best goaltender on the Market in Michael Simpson. Some others could say Colin McKenzie, but Simpson has more accolades but I would say they are in the same tier.

I wonder what Saginaw’s moves are?? They have a boatload of picks to revamp the roster, just haven’t done anything yet. Could they swing for the fences and get Dominic DiVencentis??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad