Lightning Rod Hyman: the pyrrhic battle continues

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Exactly - I hope this does not become a habit

We were 5 -1 at one point - you can watch the highlights on post game thread (last page)
Usually that's the sign of a young team. Hopefully Babcock slaps them out of that habit.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Showed some decent hands on his breakaway right before the turnover that led to his 1st goal tonight. Lundqvist made a big save. His speed was good, and his strength and balance looked a lot better than Wednesday’s game.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Hyman with more goals than Matthews. Think of how many points Matthews could have if brick-hands Nylander could finish a breakaway.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
He had a very good 2nd game, especially in the 1st period. His hustle and board work are truly elite, I do think he's best on the team by a solid margin in those categories. Good speed and strength too.

I agree that he's a drag on the line offensively, but he certainly helps with possession and defensive play. Plus he was a rookie last year - an old rookie, but still his first true season. He may have significant offensive upside, will be interesting to see what strides he can make with the puck this year. Babs is going with 3 balanced lines, and so far it's working great.

Being elite with his board work and his ability to tie up the defender while Matthews cycles in and gets the puck I think is a huge offensive contribution. Though he could get more goals if he works on burying chances in close.

Interestingly enough I’ve read he’s spent the summer working on scoring in ways and areas where he already gets the puck so often — probably in tight in front of the net.

If he was the same Hyman from last year alone he’ll probably get at least 5 more goals even strength just due to being unlucky last year. Add in additional work in those areas and we could be looking at a Kunitz level of production.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
On the shift that led to his first goal, I thought he looked like he had a better idea of what he was trying to do with his scoring chances.

Interestingly enough I’ve read he’s spent the summer working on scoring in ways and areas where he already gets the puck so often — probably in tight in front of the net.

A thing to consider is that Hyman probably mostly scored from different spots on the ice in the NCAA against inferior goaltending. I think it's forgotten that most of these new pro players who aren't superstar talents have to significantly alter their games.

P.S. Babcock loves Hyman's forechecking. I love his forechecking. But there is a better forechecker on the Leafs, his name is Matthews.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
51pts Hyman @2m or so nets us a 1st haha. Good on Hyman to show up and shut guys like me up. Hats off, if he keeps it up nobody will ever complain again.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
51pts Hyman @2m or so nets us a 1st haha. Good on Hyman to show up and shut guys like me up. Hats off, if he keeps it up nobody will ever complain again.
Lol I'm pretty sure there will be at least 1 poster who will complain vehemently! :laugh:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
good on him for finally burying a couple of the chances his line created for him , if he can score at least 20 people will cut him some slack

lol at Daddy losing his shit praising him after the game

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
good on him for finally burying a couple of the chances his line created for him , if he can score at least 20 people will cut him some slack

lol at Daddy losing his **** praising him after the game

If he can put in his share of production than he deserves quite a bit of praise, not just slack.

His presence on the line does work, the only question was whether or not his lack of production was so severe that they should try something else. If that question isn't there, then f***, he's great.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

lol at Daddy losing his **** praising him after the game

His line created for him? That first goal was all him. If Matthews did that, we'd all be flipping out. Even the 2nd one was largely created by himself.

Also, if he scores 20 goals, on top of everything else he brings, he should be getting more than just slack.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
His line created for him? That first goal was all him. If Matthews did that, we'd all be flipping out. Even the 2nd one was largely created by himself.

Also, if he scores 20 goals, on top of everything else he brings, he should be getting more than just slack.
i guess the rags player just decided to pass back in his own zone to Hyman who was trailing to play and behind everyone for shits and giggles

and on the second i guess he split himself into multiple people so he battle for the puck as well as stand in front of the net

i know you're a huge fan of his because he reminds you of Clarkson without the physicality but you should turn it down a notch since it was only one game

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
i guess the rags player just decided to pass back in his own zone to Hyman who was trailing to play and behind everyone for ****s and giggles

and on the second i guess he split himself into multiple people so he battle for the puck as well as stand in front of the net

i know you're a huge fan of his because he reminds you of Clarkson without the physicality but you should turn it down a notch since it was only one game

You are trying your hardest to not give him credit, eh?

If Matthews scored that first Hyman goal, you be giving Matthews all the credit. Hyman made a great play, stuck with the puck, picked up the turnover, and made a great move on Lundqvist. It was a great goal.

Did you even watch the game? The second goal, Hyman was battling against two Rangers behind the net, beat them, and it went in off Hank. That goal literally was all Hyman.

It's pathetic you can't even give him credit.

It's A-Okay to criticize our players, but to not give them credit even when they do good things... I can't explain that.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
i guess the rags player just decided to pass back in his own zone to Hyman who was trailing to play and behind everyone for ****s and giggles

Let's give Hyman his 15 minutes just in case last night was an aberration :)

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Maybe hanging around Matthews so much is gradually giving him some puck skills by osmosis.

That goal was a beauty, great fake and patience that 100% fooled Lundqvist, who is himself one of the more patient goalies 1-on-1. And the way he split the defense and almost scored just before that, you could be forgiven for thinking that was Matthews at first.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It's A-Okay to criticize our players, but to not give them credit even when they do good things... I can't explain that.

Well some posters do tend to dwell on the negative most of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad