Lightning Rod Hyman: the pyrrhic battle continues

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
good on him for finally burying a couple of the chances his line created for him , if he can score at least 20 people will cut him some slack

lol at Daddy losing his **** praising him after the game

He was asked a specific quesiton on Hyman... what did you expect him to say...?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I was wondering if Hyamn was body-snatched after that first goal. Very impressive effort and great patience to bury that. He deserves full credit for that one, what a great goal. If Hyman can score 20, then we should all have a very happy crow eating party, because that makes him a very valuable player on our first line. He still has a long way to go before he gets there and the corvids have to hide, but I love what we've seen from him so far this season. Keep up the good work Zach.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I was wondering if Hyamn was body-snatched after that first goal. Very impressive effort and great patience to bury that. He deserves full credit for that one, what a great goal. If Hyman can score 20, then we should all have a very happy crow eating party, because that makes him a very valuable player on our first line. He still has a long way to go before he gets there and the corvids have to hide, but I love what we've seen from him so far this season. Keep up the good work Zach.
Late to the party? In case you missed it his job on the 1st line is not to score goals.. last night was a bonus.

The man earns his money and deserves credit

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Late to the party? In case you missed it his job on the 1st line is not to score goals.. last night was a bonus.

The man earns his money and deserves credit

Not sure why you're being snarky. There's been lots of discussion about Hyman on the first line (the purpose of this thread) and the merits of it. The point I made is that if Zach finds a scoring touch there is no more argument. I'm fine with him in the forechecking role, but if he starts scoring too then there's no downside to be had at all and everyone who said he doesn't belong can happily eat their words.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Does anyone really expect a coach like Babcock to be really really impressed with Nylander? The guy is a great offensive player, but at this point in time, Babcock couldn't name all the similar players he's worked with. It's like a guy who's worked with musclecars his entire life and isn't impressed with straight-line speed anymore and wants to start installing an after-market suspension kit, Brembo brakes, and some wickedly sticky tires. What the game to him comes down to is who'll play a complete game. Who can do it all. For Babcock, there's no excuse not to get Hyman or Komarov-type attributes out of everyone. Of course he loves his Hyman.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
I thought Hyman showed great hands and touch yesterday on the goal and play before that. I'm on vacation though so only watched highlights and game in 6. But if a guy like Kadri scored that goal we'd all be talking about his niffty mitts.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I like clear-cut performances like these from controversial players because you can clearly see who is completely unreasonable on the subject and who isn't. Like the guys who thought Gardiner was really bad in the playoffs, or who won't give Bozak and JVR credit even in their best games. If you don't give Hyman credit after a game like this, you show that it doesn't matter what he does, your mind is already made up.

Reactions: RLF and Anthrax442

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
His line created for him? That first goal was all him. If Matthews did that, we'd all be flipping out. Even the 2nd one was largely created by himself.

Also, if he scores 20 goals, on top of everything else he brings, he should be getting more than just slack.

I think I know who you're replying to. Just FYI, this board gets noticeably better when they're blocked.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Maybe hanging around Matthews so much is gradually giving him some puck skills by osmosis.

That goal was a beauty, great fake and patience that 100% fooled Lundqvist, who is himself one of the more patient goalies 1-on-1. And the way he split the defense and almost scored just before that, you could be forgiven for thinking that was Matthews at first.
4 SHG last year actually shows that he's always had those skills.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I like clear-cut performances like these from controversial players because you can clearly see who is completely unreasonable on the subject and who isn't. Like the guys who thought Gardiner was really bad in the playoffs, or who won't give Bozak and JVR credit even in their best games. If you don't give Hyman credit after a game like this, you show that it doesn't matter what he does, your mind is already made up.

Yes, great game after a poor one. As for the mind made uppers. Some set the bar at 20 goals...then maybe it's worth having him there.lol. Do people realize if he gets close to 20 goals 5vs5, he may have more than Nylander does. Willie only had 13 ES goals last year. 10-15 5vs5 goals is very respectable when his line mates are getting hopefully 15-30+.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yes, great game after a poor one. As for the mind made uppers. Some set the bar at 20 goals...then maybe it's worth having him there.lol. Do people realize if he gets close to 20 goals 5vs5, he may have more than Nylander does. Willie only had 13 ES goals last year. 10-15 5vs5 goals is very respectable when his line mates are getting hopefully 15-30+.
I agree. I've read people that have minimum requirements to be satisfied with him that would put him at top line production at even strength.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I agree. I've read people that have minimum requirements to be satisfied with him that would put him at top line production at even strength.

I hear you. I am not an all about the stats guy,(it irritates me how people try to use them at times) but if the guy only plays ES and PK, it is obvious his numbers will be less than guys who play a lot of PP. And you know if he gets even 12-15, we will still hear how Player A,B,C etc would be better.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Thats sort of the point though? That we wish he could contribute first line offensive talent since he is playing on the first line. I think the point that Cor and I were separately making on the previous page is that if Hyman could put up top6 type offensive numbers he would be an extraordinarily valuable piece for us. As it is right now, he does bring a lot to the table. Great defensive play, outstanding on the forecheck, and I agree with having him on the first line because he rags pucks for Matthews and Nylander. But a player who does all of that AND scores is an elite winger.

As he is right now, Hyman is able to contribute to the line, but there is a very clear room for improvement in the offence he brings. If he scores 20 (15 at ES), that likely puts him at 6th on the team this year, but nobody would question his place because of everything else that he brings. After the offensive display of last night, it's fun to hope that he's made an improvement over the summer and is ready for a breakthrough.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
4 SHG last year actually shows that he's always had those skills.

Maybe, but I don't remember him scoring any goals that showed the kind of flash he had on that one shift last night. I mean, the guy looked like Crosby splitting the defense and nearly beating Lundqvist with a good move, chased down the turnover himself, and the way he faked out Henrik is not something I ever expected to see from Hyman.

Obviously everybody who comes even close to making the NHL has moves and we often forget that. I just haven't seen that confidence and puck control from him before.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Thats sort of the point though? That we wish he could contribute first line offensive talent since he is playing on the first line. I think the point that Cor and I were separately making on the previous page is that if Hyman could put up top6 type offensive numbers he would be an extraordinarily valuable piece for us. As it is right now, he does bring a lot to the table. Great defensive play, outstanding on the forecheck, and I agree with having him on the first line because he rags pucks for Matthews and Nylander. But a player who does all of that AND scores is an elite winger.

As he is right now, Hyman is able to contribute to the line, but there is a very clear room for improvement in the offence he brings. If he scores 20 (15 at ES), that likely puts him at 6th on the team this year, but nobody would question his place because of everything else that he brings. After the offensive display of last night, it's fun to hope that he's made an improvement over the summer and is ready for a breakthrough.

Ah yea, I am sure if he put up elite numbers, people wouldn't criticize...at least as much. Ok, but he isn't and likely never will be "elite". He is by no means an all around elite winger. If you are hoping for elite numbers, I think you will likely be disappointed. He is in the higher category at certain things, but we have an elite winger on the other side(Nylander) and an elite Centre. Hyman doesn't need to be an elite scorer, he just needs to be in the elite category at what he is doing. 15ES goals would have tied him with Marner last year and ahead of Nylander, Bozak and Komarov of our top 9. If he gets 15 ES this season, there will likely be a lot of in close garbage goals and that is just hard, dirty work and a little puck luck. 10+ES would be a great thing.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Maybe, but I don't remember him scoring any goals that showed the kind of flash he had on that one shift last night. I mean, the guy looked like Crosby splitting the defense and nearly beating Lundqvist with a good move, chased down the turnover himself, and the way he faked out Henrik is not something I ever expected to see from Hyman.

Obviously everybody who comes even close to making the NHL has moves and we often forget that. I just haven't seen that confidence and puck control from him before.
[yt]
Not bad here either and on the king again.
I think a lot of the angst is from confirmation bias. One poster told me Hyman could not stick handle with his head up!!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
[yt]
Not bad here either and on the king again.
I think a lot of the angst is from confirmation bias. One poster told me Hyman could not stick handle with his head up!!

It had never been seen before in all fairness.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Ah yea, I am sure if he put up elite numbers, people wouldn't criticize...at least as much. Ok, but he isn't and likely never will be "elite". He is by no means an all around elite winger. If you are hoping for elite numbers, I think you will likely be disappointed. He is in the higher category at certain things, but we have an elite winger on the other side(Nylander) and an elite Centre. Hyman doesn't need to be an elite scorer, he just needs to be in the elite category at what he is doing. 15ES goals would have tied him with Marner last year and ahead of Nylander, Bozak and Komarov of our top 9. If he gets 15 ES this season, there will likely be a lot of in close garbage goals and that is just hard, dirty work and a little puck luck. 10+ES would be a great thing.

I'm certainly not expecting elite offence from Hyman. I'm not even expecting good offence from Hyman. I'm just trying to point out what he needs to do to really end the "Hyman doesn't belong on that line" conversation. 15 ES goals isn't elite scoring numbers, but a winger who does everything else as well as Hyman does and has 15 ES goals could be considered an elite two way player. I don't expect that from him and would be very pleased if he improved to 10+ this year. That would be a 66% improvement in his biggest weakness and very praiseworthy. But it doesn't end the conversation.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Great game by Lightning Rod Hyman.
Now if we can forget the 2nd period of game 2 ever existed, we can get back to it.

6 points (minimum) every 5 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->