Lightning Rod Hyman: the pyrrhic battle continues

RLF

May 5, 2014
I'm certainly not expecting elite offence from Hyman. I'm not even expecting good offence from Hyman. I'm just trying to point out what he needs to do to really end the "Hyman doesn't belong on that line" conversation. 15 ES goals isn't elite scoring numbers, but a winger who does everything else as well as Hyman does and has 15 ES goals could be considered an elite two way player. I don't expect that from him and would be very pleased if he improved to 10+ this year. That would be a 66% improvement in his biggest weakness and very praiseworthy. But it doesn't end the conversation.

15-20 goals and say 20 assists won't end it. Some will give credit and those who gave none for the playoffs, none to any reasons for him being there already, will still find issue. It will still be Brown etc could have done the same thing or lets see if he can do it again or etc etc. Some are more worried about being wrong, then anything else and will defend til the end.

WaitingforCointreau

Oct 9, 2017
We throw a bit of shade on Zach Hyman in our new comedy series:

We are die hard Leafs fans, but Mr. Hyman is a convenient lightning rod!

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Had yet another good game tonight. Motor running high, worked hard, unlucky not to score. Pretty solid start to the season for Zach.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Hyman can play. If only he was left handed, he would have more success with puck protection and accepting/giving passes on the left side.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Thought he was awful offensively in the first with the play dying on his stick many times, but didn't focus on him in the last 2 periods

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Has looked better this season. I still have some issue with him on the first line but at least he's making an effort to actually look up and see who's around to make a pass to. Still a few times tonight where he tried that silly wrap around he loves to try.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
That line, had no chemistry.

A couple of times, Hyman was open in the neutral zone ahead of Nylander, and Nylander would not pass him the puck. He wouldn't shoot it in either.

Either they Hyman off that line, or they take Nylander off that line.

Even in the offensive zone, Nylander did not pass the puck to Hyman. Pass the puck to Hyman, and you basically never get it back.

Watch the video, and every team is going to do this now. If Nylander or Matthews has the puck, just leave Hyman wide open. If Hyman gets the puck in space, he will give it up without creating a chance.

In tight, along the boards, back check, in front of the net, all alone in on the goalie, Hyman is good. All other situations with the puck, Hyman is really bad to the point that Nylander don't even want to pass the puck to him.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Was impressed with him again tonight. Really hope he can keep this up.

He got carried away at least once trying to make a move down low behind the net with Matthews open in the corner. He turned the puck over. He usually differs which is good.

He can keep his game up, its all based on hard work which he commits too. He does alot for that line.

RLF

May 5, 2014
That line, had no chemistry.

A couple of times, Hyman was open in the neutral zone ahead of Nylander, and Nylander would not pass him the puck. He wouldn't shoot it in either.

Either they Hyman off that line, or they take Nylander off that line.

Even in the offensive zone, Nylander did not pass the puck to Hyman. Pass the puck to Hyman, and you basically never get it back.

Watch the video, and every team is going to do this now. If Nylander or Matthews has the puck, just leave Hyman wide open. If Hyman gets the puck in space, he will give it up without creating a chance.

In tight, along the boards, back check, in front of the net, all alone in on the goalie, Hyman is good. All other situations with the puck, Hyman is really bad to the point that Nylander don't even want to pass the puck to him.

Nylander is a puck carrier, he likes to take the puck over the blue line under control if he feels he can. I have definitely seen him dump it in at times when pressured and carrying it is not an option. They don't pass the puck much to Hyman in the O-zone because most of the time, he goes to the net to screen the goalie and occupy a d-man. Why pass to a guy who is covered infront of the net? If the puck gets loose, Hyman chases it down and tries to create a turnover for Matthews/Nylander to get it back and create while Hyman goes back to the net. It is a simple formula and has been very effective by giving the two shooters a screen to fire through. I don't expect, nor will I expect Hyman to be part of a moving cycle game with the other two and D. If they leave Hyman wide open in front of the net, which would be stupid, I am sure you will see more pucks to the net for Hyman to try and bang in.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hyman had another really strong game against the Hawks and looked like a young power forward in the making as he gains more confidence.

When he lowered his shoulder and leaned into Keith and took the puck hard to the net to create his own scoring chance was impressive.

He also made some nice passes to both Nylander and Matthews that they didn't finish off.

As a PKer he is a force out there, and he is relentless in his forechecking and compete.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Seems Hyman trained to go from no offensive skill to no offensive skill except for protecting the puck while driving to the net

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Hyman had another really strong game against the Hawks and looked like a young power forward in the making as he gains more confidence.

When he lowered his shoulder and leaned into Keith and took the puck hard to the net to create his own scoring chance was impressive.

He also made some nice passes to both Nylander and Matthews that they didn't finish off.

As a PKer he is a force out there, and he is relentless in his forechecking and compete.

he had a great game for sure, most of his passes weren't very good though. The 2 on 1 with Nylander was behind nylander it was quite something nylander actually got a shot off. Same sort of thing on a couple of passes to Matthews. THe fact he is actually seeing a pass to be made is a huge step forward and if he can get his accuracy up a bit he should actually be able to contribute offensively to that line.

I am pleasantly surprised with the improvement hyman has made with the puck

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Seems Hyman trained to go from no offensive skill to no offensive skill except for protecting the puck while driving to the net
2 point that show your bias
1 he has always protected the puck well and drives the net. Since you can't see that it speaks to bias. Others who don't want Hyman on the 1st line have complained of his finishing skill but never his puck protection skills.
2 protecting the puck and driving the net is an offensive skill. The fact you need to say he still has no offensive skill is contradictory and speaks to bias.
At least wait until he has a bad game or make more valid critiques

kfernandes29

Aug 16, 2005
I have to admit, I was one of the guys who thought Leivo would be a better option than Hyman on Matthews' wing. But boy do I look wrong. I always loved Hyman's hustle and his relentless forecheck, but he is beating guys one-on-one and making the strong move inside on breakaways now. He also looks like he has worked on his stick skill around the net a little bit too.

He could turn out to be a perfect power forward for today's game. I'm probably more impressed with him than any other player so far this season.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Hyman in my books is an elite defensive player and PKer. Him and Brown continue to keep the Leafs in games by shutting down the opposition especially on the PK.

Having said that, I'd prefer to see Brown on the Matthews line instead of Hyman. Move Hyman to the 4th line with Komarov and use him mainly on the PK and shutdown situations.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
When even Zeke is starting to waver you know Hyman is on the right track. He's been very good so far IMO and to repeat the obvious again, if he can do a good job on that line then we have more talent to spread out on the other lines which is a very good thing.

RLF

May 5, 2014
When even Zeke is starting to waver you know Hyman is on the right track. He's been very good so far IMO and to repeat the obvious again, if he can do a good job on that line then we have more talent to spread out on the other lines which is a very good thing.
The irony is that the reason he is creating more for himself is that he is being more selfish with the puck, which he was said not to have the skill to do.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I mean, if the line plays like they did last night then even I'll agree not to split them up. That's pretty much as good as a line can play.

To reward the trio Babcock even gave them a 2nd PP minute together in the 3rd period, where Hyman joined his ES linemates on the PP for a shift.

Hyman getting PP time with all the offensive talent on the team is not the norm.

Their play together wasn't lost on the coach, but then again in general it never is.;)

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Hyman has played terrific and in these last two games and if he keeps it up I think he is the perfect linemate for Matthews, and he played well in the playoffs last year, all good signs. This doesn't invalidate criticism leveled towards him and his puck skills are nowhere near top 6 level but, as I've pointed out before, most all of Hyman's critics acknowledged that having a strong forechecker in his spot was a good thing we just wanted him to handle the puck at an NHL level he's done a really good job for two straight games. If Hyman plays like he has I think he is the ideal player in that spot but I need to see alot more of those, also he still sometimes struggles with really simple plays(fails to dump in the puck) and these are still really frustrating.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
2 point that show your bias
1 he has always protected the puck well and drives the net. Since you can't see that it speaks to bias. Others who don't want Hyman on the 1st line have complained of his finishing skill but never his puck protection skills.

Vehemently disagree. He showed nowhere near the ability to skate with and protect the puck last year that he has showcased this season, I almost fell out of my chair when he got around Kieth.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Vehemently disagree. He showed nowhere near the ability to skate with and protect the puck last year that he has showcased this season, I almost fell out of my chair when he got around Kieth.
I've actually posted videos from last year that dispute this.
Also how does a player get 4 short handed goals if he can't skate the puck around defenders?
All this does not mean Hyman is not improving. Remember that last year was his rookie season. The game slow down for him this year.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I've actually posted videos from last year that dispute this.
Also how does a player get 4 short handed goals if he can't skate the puck around defenders?
All this does not mean Hyman is not improving. Remember that last year was his rookie season. The game slow down for him this year.

Could be. I kept saying this last year - why do people assume he can't improve? The guy's a rookie playing in a situation where there was a ton of pressure on him. A year under his belt, a bit more confidence etc., too early to say for sure but Hyman just might be "new and improved". And if he is, watch out rest of the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->