Post-Game Talk: Lightning 3, Oilers 1

oilinger

Jul 11, 2016
Looks like I got that goal confused with another play earlier in the game. On the Kucherov goal he did make it back but then proceeded to blindly fire the puck and turn it over.

Your vision must differ considerably from reality. On the Kucherov PP goal Drai did not turn the puck over; he prevented the GA and then passed it to Bear behind the net, who turned it over. If anyone should have picked up Kucherov coming to the net it was RNH.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Is it OK if I watch the games instead of reading advanced stats that don't tell the whole story while the game is going on.

This is the difficulty with trying to discuss this with you as you will cite these kinds of stats while not supporting your assertions on what you saw on the ice. In which case you already admitted you were wrong in terms of what you saw, but then you go to stuff like this.
Its not even a discussion. Its changing goalposts when you are wrong.

people are watching, that's why they are noticing.

Even Dustin Nielson on his orning show has brought up the "Is Drai sulking/pouting away from McDavid"?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Good result, notwithstanding the Kucherov goals. The media narrative that was building up over the past few days was how the oilers were "coming out of it" and "ending the season on a high". Dangerous talk if you want the coaching staff gone.
I quoted this because I’ve noticed this talk too and what the implications of it probably are.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
When Draisaitl is on the ice without McDavid, the Oilers score only 40% of the goals. Not sure how you can spin this positively. The rest of the team without Mcdavid or Drai has a 41% GF.

Was I wrong when I said Drai had a bad turnover on that goal?
lmao. You don't even know which goal you were talking about. How am I supposd to know which goal you were talking about and what aspect of a play you are blaming Draisaitl on. I can't read your mind when you haven't even been clear about what play you are referring to. You already acknowledged you must have had plays mixed up. So obviously I don't know what you are referring to. How could I? ;)

I don't defer to some of the stats out there which are unit stats in the first place. If Drai is playing with doorknobs all the time when he's not with McD I suspect that might have some influence. But I don't infer from that that Draisaitl sucks..

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Draisaitl is very overrated. He has 62 points in 67 games in a season where scoring is up. If he drove his own line all the time like Malkin, he would have even fewer points. He's way overpaid. Elite players find ways to score. Draisaitl is not an elite player.
Actually he's played most of this season not only away from McDavid but also with a rotating door of wingers that would be lucky to make a high school team. And while we're on the ifs, buts, and ands, how about the fact that IF the Oilers had an even remotely functional powerplay without Woodcrap running it, Draisaitl would have MORE points?

Reactions: PGW

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
With the way some people act around here I think they would genuinely be happier if we had no talented offensive players in the lineup.

There are 3 forwards on this team that have produced this season. It shouldn't be that hard to find someone else to scapegoat.

lol, yeah lets turn on the team's 2nd best player, because McDavid needs less help.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Good result, notwithstanding the Kucherov goals. The media narrative that was building up over the past few days was how the oilers were "coming out of it" and "ending the season on a high". Dangerous talk if you want the coaching staff gone.

The coaches and GM aren't going anywhere regardless of end season results IMO so no amount of losing here on out is going to change that. What a bunch of losses might facilitate is more player movement. Just look at the roster now, there are lots of useless players especially up front so changes have to be made there. I expect the 1st rounder to be in play to make that happen, can't see RNH or Klefbom being dealt without it being a sideways move at best.

On another note, the college basketball tournament (March Madness) has been unreal. I have a hard time caring too much about this game when there's so much awesome basketball going on.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Not sure why people keep on complaining about Drai. I thought he made some good defensive plays today and created some chances. People also have to keep in mind that he has played a lot of hockey the past 2 seasons.

Everyone just likes to complain about the good offensive players we have like Hall and Eberle. But then they complain when they trade them away.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
people are watching, that's why they are noticing.

Even Dustin Nielson on his orning show has brought up the "Is Drai sulking/pouting away from McDavid"?

who the hell is Dustin Neilson and why should I care?

Should I cite Rishaug if I don't agree with an opinion?

Many, you kind find any pundit to back up anything you want on any player. Why not debate the point yourself? I asked you several posts ago to state what you thought Draisaitl was at fault for in the Kucherov goal you blamed on Draisaitl (repeatedly)

now your referring to somebody I've never heard of. Apparently he's on some radio show lmao

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I never said any of that. Nor do I believe that. But I don't think he's a piece of garbage like some of you.
I never said he was a piece of garbage.
grow a thicker skin, and and get a tissue....all I did was question his play THIS game and you lost your mind.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
With the way some people act around here I think they would genuinely be happier if we had no talented offensive players in the lineup.

There are 3 forwards on this team that have produced this season. It shouldn't be that hard to find someone else to scapegoat.
You would think. Funny how Kassian, Cagguila, Slepyshev, Cammalleri, Pakarenin, etc. all get a free pass for doing nothing. And a player almost at PPG gets absolutely maligned on these boards.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Your vision must differ considerably from reality. On the Kucherov PP goal Drai did not turn the puck over; he prevented the GA and then passed it to Bear behind the net, who turned it over. If anyone should have picked up Kucherov coming to the net it was RNH.
He fired it at Bear's stomach.

lmao. You don't even know which goal you were talking about. How am I supposd to know which goal you were talking about and what aspect of a play you are blaming Draisaitl on. I can't read your mind when you haven't even been clear about what play you are referring to. You already acknowledged you must have had plays mixed up. So obviously I don't know what you are referring to. How could I? ;)

I don't defer to some of the stats out there which are unit stats in the first place. If Drai is playing with doorknobs all the time when he's not with McD I suspect that might have some influence. But I don't infer from that that Draisaitl sucks..
Feel free to watch the video posted above. That was not a good sequence.

Draisaitl's linemates are bad but truly great players still find a way to produce. McDavid has a 55% GF away from Drai. Honestly, Drai is probably a 60-70 point guy if he has to drive his own line. That's great and he's a very good #2 C. The problem is, he's being paid like one of the best players in the league and he isn't even close. The contract is Chia's fault but Drai's play and effort level has been poor lately and he needs to improve.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I never said he was a piece of garbage.
grow a thicker skin, and and get a tissue....all I did was question his play THIS game and you lost your mind.
You question his play every game. Not just THIS game. Probably half to two thirds of the games this season you have been all over him. You and others, of course.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That might be one of the worst days of my life if it happens. That is, we keep Todd on and Flames get Coach Q.
I’d like to see how the organization sells status quo to the fans if Calgary fires Gulutzan after the Flames, while still missing the playoffs, have a much better season. Hard to convince me you really care about winning when your rival is willing to admit they have problems when you won’t yourself.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
who the hell is Dustin Neilson and why should I care?

Should I cite Rishaug if I don't agree with an opinion?

Many, you kind find any pundit to back up anything you want on any player. Why not debate the point yourself? I asked you several posts ago to state what you thought Draisaitl was at fault for in the Kucherov goal you blamed on Draisaitl (repeatedly)

now your referring to somebody I've never heard of. Apparently he's on some radio show lmao

you shouldn't care.....all I'm saying is I'm not the only one who has takin notice,and it is a thing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You're smart for taking them that way rather than just getting pissed off.

Thanks, when I can, I see if I can convert comments like that to combustible humor. Makes is more fun.

Heres what always occurs in PGT. In first few pages you get some really odd comments scapegoating a player, then pages later you get more reasonable comments weighing in and rebuking the outlier comments. It takes until later in the evening until some reason prevails.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I wonder if the Oilers can get a 2nd rounder for Drai so they can get rid of his salary. Probably not at that salary, might have to retain in order to get any value.

Seriously, how can anybody evaluate his performance now? It's garbage time and he's playing with garbage players. Yeah the effort hasn't been there every night but who on the team outside of McDavid is bringing it every game? Honestly, if McDavid wasn't playing for the Art Ross, I doubt he would be putting as much energy into the games either. Please, lets refrain from running another good and in this case potentially great player out of town. So many other issues to complain about.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
You question his play every game. Not just THIS game. Probably half to two thirds of the games this season you have been all over him. You and others, of course.
ya wrong.
it's obvious who follows blindly and who can watch games without bias.

I know where you stand now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
H

Feel free to watch the video posted above. That was not a good sequence.

Draisaitl's linemates are bad but truly great players still find a way to produce. McDavid has a 55% GF away from Drai. Honestly, Drai is probably a 60-70 point guy if he has to drive his own line. That's great and he's a very good #2 C. The problem is, he's being paid like one of the best players in the league and he isn't even close. The contract is Chia's fault but Drai's play and effort level has been poor lately and he needs to improve.

ftr I agree with the bolded. I stated it earlier in the thread. But a 22 yr old player that is that good already is pretty damned good and Drai is a power Center getting better. Kopitar type player. You pay for those becaue he is a tank to play against and much more cerebral game than you give him credit for.

I will say though if Drai had somewhat better linemates or a PMD on the team he'd probably fare better pts wise. On a team like Tampa Drai would be ppg EASILY.

ps nice video load. I get to see the add and then a black screen...I already watched the replay, not sure what you're seeing but that advertising video didn't help much..

Last edited:

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
ya wrong.
it's obvious who follows blindly and who can watch games without bias.

I know where you stand now.
Where do I stand exactly? Truthfully, I know that Drai's season hasn't been ideal for him and to be honest, I expected more. It started with a concussion, those stupid Nurse rumours, the garbage power play, etc., etc. So, I can see without bias that he hasn't been spectacular and arguably disappointing in light of his contract. But, on the flip side, have you ever said anything positive about him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad