Post-Game Talk: Lightning 3, Oilers 1

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
in principle I'm not against giving ice time to fringe players, or even to try to get Lucic going.

The bad thing to me is that I figure that the team really should be trying to make McDavid win the Art Ross. I know it seems petty, but it would be a small victory for this team and I think every player on the team would be proud about it. So... why is Tmac doing things for these growth reasons, rather than supporting McDavid to the max? Imo Drai should be with McDavid for the rest of the season. And yeah, Puljujarvi should get more leash.

If McDavid wins the Art Ross it's that much more embarrassing to Chia and McLellan. You have the Art Ross trophy winner so when people are going to look at why the team can't even make the playoffs, it looks that much worse on the GM and coaching staff. Don't think they want him to get it, they both probably would be quite happy if Kucherov takes it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If McDavid wins the Art Ross it's that much more embarrassing to Chia and McLellan. You have the Art Ross trophy winner so when people are going to look at why the team can't even make the playoffs, it looks that much worse on the GM and coaching staff. Don't think they want him to get it, they both probably would be quite happy if Kucherov takes it.
that could be true

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Good result, notwithstanding the Kucherov goals. The media narrative that was building up over the past few days was how the oilers were "coming out of it" and "ending the season on a high". Dangerous talk if you want the coaching staff gone.

I think McLellan is certainly safe for next season now. Not sure about the rest of the staff though...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think McLellan is certainly safe for next season now. Not sure about the rest of the staff though...

His staff is going nowhere, Todd isn't going to allow it. At best the Oilers may be able to convince him to add an extra "associate coach" (maybe Coffey) full time.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I was at the game with the family, blew a thousand on tickets, food and $15 beers. Team played like crap. Should have went yesterday instead. FML

A game at Sunrise/Ft.Lauderdale would definitely have been cheaper and you'd have better seats. Unfortunately Panther fans are less knowledgeable about hockey and cheer/boo at the weirdest things.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Needs to be a movement to get Todd fired. We can't just trust Chia and MacT (his right-hand man) to do it. Outward pressure might help. No guarantees, but couldn't hurt. We'd need the stat nerds to get behind it, so there's actually evidence to back up how terrible the coaching staff is, and so the Oiler brass know it's just not raw emotion; there's substance to the demanding the change.
I’m no stats nerd by any stretch, and even I can see that having a dead last PK, and a laughing stock PP is ‘actual evidence’ of poor coaching - both tactically and in personnel deployment.

I would think that getting scored on by the first shot of the game at a rate that beggars belief isn’t exactly indicative of a well coached team either.

His team hasn’t performed. It’s not all on him because he’s had a lot of key players (players I’m sure Chiarelli told him were good enough) either injured or getting exposed. And the depth on this roster (that Chiarelli built) can’t compensate for any of that.

But bottom line, he’s been entirely unsuccessful in his mandate to build a competitive team from the squad he was given. He hasn’t even come close.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Do you need to be reminded how horrible the teams PP is?

Add the fact the team gets the least amount of PP in the league. Combine the two and you can understand why Draisaitl only has 62 points.

Imagine if the Oilers PP was somewhere near the top in the league and they were at the top of the league in PP opportunities. McDavid and Draisaitl would be 1 and 2 in scoring with the rest of the league way behind. A extra 60 PP's would go along way in padding their stats.

I get that you're defending but..

62 pts, playing half the season with dolt wingers, and at age 22,with more pts than Nuge has ever posted (while playing with linemate allstars in Hall and Eberle) is rendered to "only has". What do you mean? 62pts in 67GP is GOOD. Especially considering no valid linemates, no PMD, no PP.

Anywhere else and Drai would be having an 80 pt season.

Its odd how different the expectations of the respective players are. Nuge can put up 45pts and only 18 goals in 95 games last year and there were no end of posts here saying he was still great "one of the best players on this team" and just focused more on D (which he wasn't doing either)

Drai can finish this season with 70pts in 75GP and people still think this is some kind of horrible..

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
McDavid/Drai/RNH.

After that the forwards are a complete gong show.

I like Khaira, he is worth keeping. If they would use Puju, he would be useful as well. I find he has been playing well but not being used. TODD BEING TODD. Maybe Puju with Drai and hopefully Maroon re-signs. Poof, we only need to sign @ 7 players and all is good . Hear that one before?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I almost feel sorry for Strome. Drai setup I'm up several times today and the guy tries hard, gets in lots of open positions and can't finish anything. In all I think Strome had 7 scroring chances. Nothing.

Its the Lucic and Strome stonecold show.

Cammy I don't even expect a goal. All you're ever getting from him is an assist.

But I put blame also on Pulju now. He we have to be getting something more from this player. He is a talent, He's not using it.

AND THATS THE BOTTOM LINE CAUSE STONE COLD SAYS SO.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I don’t think so. If Trotz or Quenneville shake loose and are willing to come here, then Mclellan is gone IMO.
I agree. Where there is smoke there is fire and rumour is Katz wanted him gone in Feb. Todd gets out-coached. If Quinville becomes available, pick up the phone

Reactions: PulYou

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
I must say that Kucherov didn't really impress me yesterday. He scored two goals but has the benefit of line mates who can cycle, retrieve loose pucks and win board battles. Definitely doesn't like ok as dynamic as mcdavid or even Malkin.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Mark my words. The oilers are doing the same thing to JP as they did with yakupov. A young player needs to be given a chance to gain confidence. If they are given a chance and they succeed, it could unlock some potential, which could make the oilers a better team. They are RUINING THIS PLAYER! HE'S IN DANGER OF BEING A BUST!

I want this kid to succeed so badly. I can't stand this franchise sometimes.
You did notice he was on Draisaitl wing right? As usual did very little with the opportunity.
Puljujarvi needs to be better, much better.

Not surprised though. The rookies which have an almost guaranteed spot on the team are having the most problems with effort since the season has been lost. Except Caguillia. Caguillia has effort but no luck (skill?).
Puljujarvi Slepyshev Kiahra and a bit Caggiula. Surprised Benning and Nurse seem to be still working hard but it's difficult to see in defenseman. Khaira has had a few good games then disappears.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I must say that Kucherov didn't really impress me yesterday. He scored two goals but has the benefit of line mates who can cycle, retrieve loose pucks and win board battles. Definitely doesn't like ok as dynamic as mcdavid or even Malkin.

I agree. He kind of reminds me of Dany Heatley. He'll get you offense but he isn't actually driving it.

While I don't necessarily like Berkshire's articles (or most of SNET's for that matter), this kind of breaks it down
Why Lightning's Nikita Kucherov shouldn't be in Hart Trophy conversation - Sportsnet.ca

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I agree. He kind of reminds me of Dany Heatley. He'll get you offense but he isn't actually driving it.

While I don't necessarily like Berkshire's articles (or most of SNET's for that matter), this kind of breaks it down
Why Lightning's Nikita Kucherov shouldn't be in Hart Trophy conversation - Sportsnet.ca

I see him as a similar player to Jamie Benn, the puck just seems to follow him and he's the beneficiary of playing with a great center like Stamkos/Seguin. He's still a top 5-10 winger in the league though, he's incredibly talented.

Reactions: nightfighter

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I see him as a similar player to Jamie Benn, the puck just seems to follow him and he's the beneficiary of playing with a great center like Stamkos/Seguin. He's still a top 5-10 winger in the league though, he's incredibly talented.

That works too actually. Amusingly right after Benn won Art Ross, got new contract, his production slowed down. Obviously a bit of that was tied to off season surgery

Reactions: nightfighter

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Kucherov and the lightning were resting for the playoffs.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
That works too actually. Amusingly right after Benn won Art Ross, got new contract, his production slowed down. Obviously a bit of that was tied to off season surgery

Yeah I think this is Kucherov's peak, and it will be short lived. Similar to when Iginla or Benn when they won it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Kucherov has been highly criticized by Tampa fans. They're all over him. Its one of the funniest thigns to see. Just yesterday in the Tampa thread Oiler fans are reminding him "hey, he doesn't suck, he leads the NHL in points" it was hilarious.

That said, yeah, he's much more team dependent on his pts and yes he has Hedman all day any day. The Lightning are built to score. McDavid on that team would have 120 pts right at the moment.

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Kucherov has been highly criticized by Tampa fans. They're all over him. Its one of the funniest thigns to see. Just yesterday in the Tampa thread Oiler fans are reminding him "hey, he doesn't suck, he leads the NHL in points" it was hilarious.

That said, yeah, he's much more team dependent on his pts and yes he has Hedman all day any day. The Lightning are built to score. McDavid on that team would have 120 pts right at the moment.

I think a new less stubborn coach that actually adapts and adjusts on the fly for any given game situation, McDavid would already have 100 points. The fact he is gonna hit that with little to no PP offense shows how pathetic the uppers are with their game planning

Reactions: PulYou

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad