Post-Game Talk: Lightning 3, Oilers 1

Proko88

May 6, 2010
I attended this game live at Amalie Arena with center ice-ish seats. If you have a chance to attend do it - the Lightning folk put on a show from arena entrance (they had an outside party and cheerleaders who cheered then opened the doors) til the end. Most pro sport events I've attended (NHL included) only have half the amount of entertainment.

Onto the game. What a disaster. 40-30 shots was only because the Oilers two PPs where they had bunch of shots but other than Nuge's shot and maybe one other... there wasn't much in terms of scoring chances for us. Lightning destroyed us. We cycled the puck in their zone maybe twice? We could barely enter the zone and get a clean shot. The score should have been 4-0 Tampa... Hedman scored on his own goalie.

The worst play of the night? Golden boy in the third lost the puck at the O-zone blueline and it turned into a 2-on-1 but he didn't bother backchecking.. he just slumped and let it happen... and only after Montoya made a save and the puck moved out of the zone is when McDavid suddenly had a burst of energy.

Drai's giveaway behind the net that lead to the GA was also horrific.

The same problem has plagued this team all season - poor breakouts, mishandling of pucks in the D-zone with full possession (often trying to make a fancy pass), and an allergy to shooting (players always look to make a cross ice pass). The Lightning are the opposite of this... their players drive to the net, they attempt to shoot as a first option rather than overhandling the puck and attempt to make another pass.

I feel sorry for folks who spend hundreds to attend games in Edmonton on this sad sack of a team.
I loved when Hedman made a drop pass to nobody and the whole crowd boo’d him. Then 30 seconds later he scored and the place erupted... lol

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I’m no stats nerd by any stretch, and even I can see that having a dead last PK, and a laughing stock PP is ‘actual evidence’ of poor coaching - both tactically and in personnel deployment.

I would think that getting scored on by the first shot of the game at a rate that beggars belief isn’t exactly indicative of a well coached team either.

His team hasn’t performed. It’s not all on him because he’s had a lot of key players (players I’m sure Chiarelli told him were good enough) either injured or getting exposed. And the depth on this roster (that Chiarelli built) can’t compensate for any of that.

But bottom line, he’s been entirely unsuccessful in his mandate to build a competitive team from the squad he was given. He hasn’t even come close.

That is what I have been saying that the team is never ready and that is on the coaching. You can tell when they are coming outta the tunnel and Metallica is playing they ain’t ready. How many times were they scored on 1st? Maybe we need a new intro tune? Can I propose “Sympathy for the Devil” by the Rolling Stones?

In all seriousness, Todd had a great team in SAN Jose and was up 3-0 on LA and lost

Reactions: PulYou

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->