Value of: Leon Draisaitl for a defenseman

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Oilers better have Drai right behind McDavid on their untouchable list. He is so far ahead of anyone else there it's not even funny. He's just a terrific player, who should keep improving. A perfect compliment to McDavid, or perhaps even a linemate. Puljujarvi is the only other guy in the same stratosphere.

For example, if I was the Oils GM and Drai was on another team, I would happily offer Eberle+RNH for Drai. He's going to be a 1B center for next decade. RNH and Eberle will be gone in a year or two and the Oilers likely won't be much worse for it when they do leave.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Its not the offensive RHD-man you are looking for (we got one, but he just extended for 8 x 8), but IMO a Braun for Drai would be good for both teams. IMO Braun is a solid #2 RH TWD but is best in a shut-down top-player role. A top four of:

Sekera - Braun
Klef - Larsson

would be pretty darn good. Not sure if you could protect 8+1 for the expansion draft and still make sense for you or not. (Glancing at your roster I think you could if made this trade but not for me to say). Just throwing this out there for thought.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Its not the offensive RHD-man you are looking for (we got one, but he just extended for 8 x 8), but IMO a Braun for Drai would be good for both teams. IMO Braun is a solid #2 RH TWD but is best in a shut-down top-player role. A top four of:

Sekera - Braun
Klef - Larsson

would be pretty darn good. Not sure if you could protect 8+1 for the expansion draft and still make sense for you or not. (Glancing at your roster I think you could if made this trade but not for me to say). Just throwing this out there for thought.

There'd have to be a big add to Braun for Drai, I'd imagine.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
This thread became something like a train crash with strobe lights.

It's loud and headache inducing, but for some reason I have to keep watching until it comes to an end.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
There'd have to be a big add to Braun for Drai, I'd imagine.

Possibly a small one due to Drai's potential ceiling. (He could be a true 1C for a playoff team in a few years. At the moment I peg him as a solid 2C with lots of potential). I could see adding Tierney to play 3C for you, but that is about as much as I would consider.

A solid top-pairing RHD 29 year old veteran (Braun) with 3-1/2 years of term at 3.8 M is not often traded, especially to a team within the same division while both are vying for the same top-spot. I think Braun would tip your defense in to solid playoff potential (especially since he knows your coach's system already) and Drai would help solve Sharks current scoring woes. It is a toss up to me on if this would bite the Sharks in the #%@ for this year's play-off chances or not.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Possibly a small one due to Drai's potential ceiling. (He could be a true 1C for a playoff team in a few years. At the moment I peg him as a solid 2C with lots of potential). I could see adding Tierney to play 3C for you, but that is about as much as I would consider.

A solid top-pairing RHD 29 year old veteran (Braun) with 3-1/2 years of term at 3.8 M is not often traded, especially to a team within the same division while both are vying for the same top-spot. I think Braun would tip your defense in to solid playoff potential (especially since he knows your coach's system already) and Drai would help solve Sharks current scoring woes. It is a toss up to me on if this would bite the Sharks in the #%@ for this year's play-off chances or not.

He's putting up much better than 2C numbers right now, and its not even close.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Not an Edmonton fan, so not helping me, per se. But the oilers definitely need a PMD more so than a defensive* d man. Larson while not as good can help with that. Edmonton needs someone with a good outlet, and the vision to QB a PP.

That isn't a shot at Braun either. He's a tremendous player. Just not sure he fits th need of Edmonton as much as you're depicting.

Last edited:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

Yeah, let's trade our big bodied top end center to a divisional rival so they can replace their current soon to be retired big bodied 1C. Braun does not fit the Oilers needs at all. They need an offensive puck moving type, so pretty much the exact opposite player Braun is. Draisaitl is trending in the Kopitar direction. Burns is the only defenseman that would even start that conversation.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Braun isn't close in either quality or playing style. I would offer Eberle for him though.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Braun isn't close in either quality or playing style. I would offer Eberle for him though.

No thanks. Eberle would kill our cap and would not be the guy I would break up our top 4 for.

Since several posters say that Braun doesn't fit your needs, especially since you picked up Larsson, I guess there is nothing to discuss. Looking fwd to seeing your team on 23rd. Be interesting game.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
So Sergachev's mom is definitely an HFBoards poster.

Or player agent, since he knows or is connected to 'powerful people' or something.

When it comes to Sergachev, one thing is clear: he better pick up his game. He has 1 goal and 11 points in 16 games in the OHL so far since being sent down. In other words, he should be producing better than this for a 'almost a guaranteed #1 Dman'. He's going to lose elite prospect status, if he ever was even considered one (slight exaggeration, but he hasn't looked elite at all this season, and he didn't put up really that close to a point-per-game in his rookie season, either. He's pretty 'yawn worthy' to me, in all honesty). From what I remember of the draft, guys like Bob Mackenzie considered Juolevi the top Dman in the draft, and even then they weren't over the moon with him. They were thinking he'd be a #2/3 guy in the long run, and the same went for Sergachev. And hey, didn't we trade for a Dman that went even HIGHER in the draft -- and was thought of just as highly by pundits -- just a couple years ago from the Islanders? How did that work out for us again? Yeah, not interested. Period. Move on. This shouldn't even be a discussion anymore. Man, I wish thread creators had more power over their own threads...

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
This is kind of going off my own topic, but a guy that should be considered after the stupid expansion draft (which will put a lot of team building on hold) is Ryan Ellis. He shouldn't cost a Draisaitl, and he could fit into the 2nd or 3rd pairing on the right side, depending on if we keep Russell or Davidson or whomever. But it wouldn't matter, because since we don't really have a true top pairing that plays huge minutes, everyone will get their 18 to 22 minutes a night and be happy. Nashville might even be interested in Nuge for him (plus something else). But yeah, it would have to wait for LV to pick their welfare picks.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

No one questions Draisaitls two way game, he's 7th in scoring and top 20 in face off wins among all centres. What else does he have to do?

Braun is not a top pairing D and is not needed with Larsson on the roster(Braun a softer version).
:laugh: And a 4C like Tierney is not needed in Edmonton( when Letestu is better at everything)

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
McDavid and Draisaitl as a 1-2 should be the foundation of the Oilers future. They have other pieces to shift around to address D.. definitely not Draisaitl

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Even your jokes don't make sense. Your obsession with draft position is ridiculous.

I'm still curious how Sergachev is a guaranteed elite "#1 offensive defenseman" in the NHL if he isn't one in the OHL. Maybes are "silly and unreasonable", but a guarantee is perfectly fine.

Draft position matters. Your obsession of dismissing draft position is ridiculous! Maybe the Oilers had too many top 10 picks in the last 10 years and have taken it for granted?

Never said Sergachev is "guaranteed". I said it's highly probably with the skills he has that he becomes a top 2D. And 1 year after the draft, we will know even more about his potential. That goes for all top prospects but most on here are too focused on talking about all the "busts" in previous drafts where they were weaker drafts. Yeah there will always be draft picks that don't live up to potential but the percentages are very small! Especially in the top 10 in a very deep draft year.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Draft position matters. Your obsession of dismissing draft position is ridiculous! Maybe the Oilers had too many top 10 picks in the last 10 years and have taken it for granted?

Never said Sergachev is "guaranteed". I said it's highly probably with the skills he has that he becomes a top 2D. And 1 year after the draft, we will know even more about his potential. That goes for all top prospects but most on here are too focused on talking about all the "busts" in previous drafts where they were weaker drafts. Yeah there will always be draft picks that don't live up to potential but the percentages are very small! Especially in the top 10 in a very deep draft year.

The percentages of top 10 picks not reaching is not small. Near 50% and higher for defensemen.

Why would any team trade a potential superstar who is playing extremely well in the NHL for a possible future superstar who is not reaching expectations in junior?

We would have interest in Sergachev. But you are misreading current values by suggesting Draisaitl for him. Think closer to Eberle than Drai.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The percentages of top 10 picks not reaching is not small. Near 50% and higher for defensemen.

Why would any team trade a potential superstar who is playing extremely well in the NHL for a possible future superstar who is not reaching expectations in junior?

We would have interest in Sergachev. But you are misreading current values by suggesting Draisaitl for him. Think closer to Eberle than Drai.

You and some others think there is no interest for a guy like Sergachev which is your opinion (right or wrong). Why are you asking the same questions over and over again? Haven't we talked about it enough? It's not a pissing contest, state your opinion and be respectful of others. If you don't like others opinion, that's fine. No need to go crazy.

So all the other trades where players are traded for 1st round draft picks were bad ones according to your logic. One example of many but the Bruins trading Kessel for a package deal to the Leafs is one good comparison to IF the Oilers trade Drai. Kessel was about the same age (21 I believe) and got two 1st round picks (both top 10 picks). That was a bad deal for the Bruns right? How foolish of them to gamble on 2 1st round picks and get Seguin and Hamilton.

Moral of the story... your logic of why the Oilers would trade Drai for top 10 prospects or 1st round picks as being silly is silly in itself. Yes, there are other deals that can be made but getting all disrespectful and going on attack mode because you don't like the deal is childish. Be reasonable please!

"Near 50% and higher for defensemen" for what? They become busts vs impact players? I don't have the actual #'s or time to research this but that seems like a stretch on your part. Any factual info you want to share? I'm curious to see this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad