Value of: Leon Draisaitl for a defenseman

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Leon Drai for a defenseman value thread. Not saying he's going to be traded, or that it's even remotely likely; I really have no idea. Probably only Chiarelli knows this. However, this isn't a trade speculation thread. This is a trade value thread. Now theoretically, IF Drai was ever on the block (which, again, he is most probably NOT) what is the best Dman from your team that you would offer, or from another team that you think he's worth and that would make sense for both teams value-wise (and other variables).

Preferably the Dman would:
-shoot right-handed;
-be able to QB a PP;
-be at least decent defensively;
-be under the age of 28;
-have a cap hit of 6m or under;
-be signed for at least 3 more seasons after this one, or be an RFA after his current contract is up;
-have at least one year pro experience -- preferably NHL, but experience in other pro leagues will be considered accordingly.

The Dman doesn't HAVE to have ALL these attributes, so please don't complain. I'm just saying that the more of these attributes the Dman coming back has the better, and the more interested we'd be in him.

Important Note:
What we are NOT interested in as the main chip coming back are very young Dman prospects. For example, a Juolevi+ or Sergachev+. These guys are too high of a gamble for a player who's already proven a lot in his very short time in the NHL in Draisaitl, and continuing to prove more and more doubters wrong, if there are any left. So the Dman must have at least SOME pro experience. Drai will NEVER be traded in a deal in which the main piece is a prospect without any pro experience, so dream on if you think that is likely, because it will never happen.

So have at 'er.

So again, please no "Drai wont be traded" posts. I realize that there's a 99.999% certainty he wont be traded. This is merely a VALUE thread, not trade speculation.

EDIT:
Just to add, here are Drai's current stats so far, as of when this post was created:
30 games, 13 goals, 13 assists, 26 points.
On pace for 36 goals and 36 assists over a full 82 games (not saying he's going to score that many, but that IS his current pace. But I would admit he'll more than likely slow down to some degree -- how much that will be is arguable).

Last edited:

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
If Coyotes could somehow get Michael Stone to agree to a sign and trade, he would fit every single bullet point you made (except possibly the QB part
Plays well on PP though). And Coyotes need a good young NHL center like Draisaitl more than most teams do

I'm not an Arizona fan, so I can't make an offer. But IMO this is perfect for Coyotes. Hardest part would be selling Stone on doing a sign and trade, but McDavid and playoffs are pretty good incentives.

Perhaps a Coyotes fan could turn this into an offer.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
After watching the Pen's tonight with my roomie, as an Oilers fan he kind of reminds of Malkin by the way his demeanour is on the ice. Half the time he looks like he doesn't care, but all of the sudden he just makes a play that makes me go wow.. In terms of value it's tough as he is still developing into his role, but it'd probably have to be a developing D with solid #1 potential.

Seth Jone's trade comparable at the worst

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
If Coyotes could somehow get Michael Stone to agree to a sign and trade, he would fit every single bullet point you made (except possibly the QB part
Plays well on PP though). And Coyotes need a good young NHL center like Draisaitl more than most teams do

I'm not an Arizona fan, so I can't make an offer. But IMO this is perfect for Coyotes. Hardest part would be selling Stone on doing a sign and trade, but McDavid and playoffs are pretty good incentives.

I personally think that Draisaitl can get better than Stone... a potential #1-C arent too frequent in the NHL

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Ceci, Stone, Dumba...these are garbage offers. Not bad players but #3/4 defenceman don't return Draisaitl.
Those players get RNH or Eberle.

Draisaitl is worth a Hanifin, Parayko type defenceman or don't bother.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
After watching the Pen's tonight with my roomie, as an Oilers fan he kind of reminds of Malkin by the way his demeanour is on the ice. Half the time he looks like he doesn't care, but all of the sudden he just makes a play that makes me go wow.. In terms of value it's tough as he is still developing into his role, but it'd probably have to be a developing D with solid #1 potential.

Seth Jone's trade comparable at the worst

It's really too bad we couldn't land Seth Jones last season. He would fit in SOOOOO perfectly with our club. We had huge two holes on our right-side D: We did need a Larsson type, which obviously we landed, but we also needed a Seth Jones type VERY BADLY that can add more offense, and be a threat on the PP. We really should've ponied up more to land him. :( Huge missed opportunity.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Krug
Lindholm
Hamilton
Faulk
Jones
Rielly

I dunno it seems at an odd point for defensemen development right now in the NHL, either D are looking really good but are on teams with poor D depth so they're too valuable to their respective team or players just are too inexperienced to value this high imo, it's a tough time to try and evaluate what kind of D Drai would get in return

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Justin Faulk, once he re-establishes his offensive game, is the defenseman you're describing.

With that being said, I think Edmonton made their big trade in the offseason. GMPC should go all in on Shattenkirk in free agency, if he makes it there.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I personally think that Draisaitl can get better than Stone... a potential #1-C arent too frequent in the NHL
Yeah, it would cost more for sure. Arizona has the other pieces to get it done though IMO, if the GMs can agree on value.

Could do somethung bigger like Strome + Stone for Draisaitl + ???. Or maybe Chiarelli is super high on Duclair or Dvorak or Crouse and the deal could expand in that direction.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
It's really too bad we couldn't land Seth Jones last season. He would fit in SOOOOO perfectly with our club. We had huge two holes on our right-side D: We did need a Larsson type, which obviously we landed, but we also need a Seth Jones type that can add more offense, and be a threat on the PP. We really should've ponied up more to land him. :( Huge missed opportunity.

Oh I fully agree, I believe if RNH could find his offensive game again it could've made Drai in some extent expendable in the long-term in terms of RNH having a more cost controllable cap hit in the long run and therefore making a trade like this kind of trade possible but 30 games into the season any trade mentioning Drai doesn't even get talked about by Chia

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Parayko for Draisaitl++ is going to happen this summer. The Blues aren't going to let Shatty walk for nothing. They'll resign him and try and go all in for the chance at a #1C that they've desperately wanted for years. Whether Draisaitl fills this hole, I don't know.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Justin Faulk, once he re-establishes his offensive game, is the defenseman you're describing.

With that being said, I think Edmonton made their big trade in the offseason. GMPC should go all in on Shattenkirk in free agency, if he makes it there.

Faulk would be very interesting. Back to back seasons of scoring at 0.60 points-per-game rate, which is basically a 50-point clip, and a 32 point season before that. I'm already sold on his offensive ability. He's young, right-handed, a threat on the PP. I think I would do that, unless there's something I'm missing or forgetting about him. I guess the one thing he needs to do is improve his defense, but maybe the coaching staff could help him with that.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

All signs point towards Shattenkirk wanting nothing to do with Edmonton so I don't see that happening.

I think Faulk would be a good option in this type of deal, but as you state I need to see him prove his offence to start last season wasn't a fluke.

With that said I think a more realistic option for the Oilers right now would be to look into trading RNH+Klefbom or Nurse for a stud offensive Dman. Not sure who that might fetch, and without trying to go against the OP's wishes, that seems much more realistic than a Draisaitl deal.

Last edited:

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Yeah this trade screams Justin Faulk to me, but the Hurricanes are doing very well. I doubt they trade Faulk just for the sake of a trade.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton

Shattenkirk doesn't want to come here, plus assuming he is looking for big term and AAV I dont think he would fit into our longterm plans.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Why? Your D seemed "ok" in the last 2 games.

If you want to improve, you could do Drai+Sekera for allstar D.

(What you really need to look is making a 2nd forward line. McJesus can't win every game in his lonesome. 1-forward line is too easy to stop)

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Parayko for Drai. Blues should resign Shatty and trade Parayko for a guy like Drai. Ofc i hope they dont so we can sign Shatty cause we need a guy like him alot!

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
I know this will probably get shut down by Dallas instantly, but Klingberg for Drai would be an interesting core of a trade to look at, in terms of Edmonton's needs he's young, offensive prowess, right handed, cap controlled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad