Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Sabers

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This home game that can define the season, if we lose, this team may be in full tank mode.

A very interesting game from this stand point.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
This home game that can define the season, if we lose, this team may be in full tank mode.

A very interesting game from this stand point.

I can't see us being in full tank mode 9 games into the season lol, the team isn't just going to get less talented because we lost. What may happen is the knee jerk reaction of a trade or the firing of Carlyle (one can only hope).

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
If they lose 3 games even after getting boo'd and having a players meeting - in some ways the pressure will be off this team to be an Elite team - the media - the fans - the rest of the league will see the Leafs as an easy game on the schedule.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is what I am expecting from the new Lupul -- Kadri -- Kessel line verses the Sabres.

Light 'Em Up by Fall Out Boy

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
It is definitely time for Kessel and Kadri to play together. It'll be telling to see how Bozak does on his own. This will be the first time Kessel plays with another C when Bozak is healthy right?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can't see us being in full tank mode 9 games into the season lol, the team isn't just going to get less talented because we lost. What may happen is the knee jerk reaction of a trade or the firing of Carlyle (one can only hope).

Firing Carlye, not sure what this will accomplish. Scotty Bowman and Toe Blake would have a difficult time winning with this bunch.

People that think it is as simple as the coaching, really do not see just how flawed this team is. I am not expecting the players we have to suddenly become 2 way studs.

Team will win a few games if the #1 line and or Reimer or Bernier steal us games. The formula is the same one as last year. Nothing has changed.

Kyle Doobas*

If we lose our next 3 straight (Buffalo, Columbus, Chicago), will the heads start to roll?
Columbus & Chicago will be tough. Looking at it now, I didn't even realize how difficult a schedule we had over the first half of the season.

At least we'll be getting it over with quickly and relatively easily this time? :laugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They make a trade of some significance before Carlyle is let go.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Paul Hendrick @HennyTweets
Holland, Panik, Robidas and Polak working hard as a unit on the PK this morning. No shots allowed on a good shift moments ago. #TMLtalk

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Firing Carlye, not sure what this will accomplish. Scotty Bowman and Toe Blake would have a difficult time winning with this bunch.

People that think it is as simple as the coaching, really do not see just how flawed this team is. I am not expecting the players we have to suddenly become 2 way studs.

Team will win a few games if the #1 line and or Reimer or Bernier steal us games. The formula is the same one as last year. Nothing has changed.

I agree. Too early anyway. Wait until Feb or so, then we can put an interim guy in charge and figure out what to do in the off-season. I really hope the brass come up with some long-term vision here and don't try to patch this wreck (as has been typical in the past).

If it was me in charge, my plan (very generally) for the rest of the year would be to trade some older vets if possible, finish as low as possible (without being obvious about it) and try to acquire at least one more 1st round pick.

This is not a good team. Time to face that reality if it's not clear yet!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Best quotes before tomorrows game:

Carlyle using his best Churchill voice: We will never surrender! :shakehead

Phaneuf: I definitely need to be better individually but our main goal is to win the hockey game. :amazed:

Kadri: We need to play like we care. :help:

Kessel: It's one hackey game, who cares! :sueme:

I would not be surprised if we lose this one. :baghead:

I'll be cautiously optimistic if they win it! :boredom:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Paul Hendrick @HennyTweets
Holland, Panik, Robidas and Polak working hard as a unit on the PK this morning. No shots allowed on a good shift moments ago. #TMLtalk

Hendrick looking for the positives. Surprised no one has pointed out how bad the PP is that they couldn't even get a shot.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

Look at how much it accomplished for Anaheim. They sky-rocketed up the standings after they ditched Carlyle.

We don't got 2-way studs, but we got a ton of offensive potential. Probably good enough to make playoffs in the east.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree. Too early anyway. Wait until Feb or so, then we can put an interim guy in charge and figure out what to do in the off-season. I really hope the brass come up with some long-term vision here and don't try to patch this wreck (as has been typical in the past).

If it was me in charge, my plan (very generally) for the rest of the year would be to trade some older vets if possible, finish as low as possible (without being obvious about it) and try to acquire at least one more 1st round pick.

This is not a good team. Time to face that reality if it's not clear yet!

RC will be fired at some point this season, this team is just not very good, barring the Leafs turn into a 2 way machine of a team. Which can only happen if we trade personnel.

Being it is a cap league now, trades are hard to manufacture.

I see us being a .500 team at best, February is going to be a key time. We are going to sell off a few players. Hopefully acquire some picks so we have some bullets to fire this draft.

I don't know if I trust Nonis to be the one making the deals, so it will be interesting if he is the GM still by then, how he approaches another missed playoffs.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
If we lose our next 3 straight (Buffalo, Columbus, Chicago), will the heads start to roll?

I predict a win, an OT loss and a loss (not necessarily in that order), which would give them three points and keep them on an 82 point pace - not bad enough for a top pick, not good enough for the playoffs.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
No idea what to expect really. Normally you'd predict a win against not a great team in Buffalo, but Leafs also tend to go against the expected.

So I'll say...probably win. Leafs at their worst can easily get killed by Buffalo, but at their best they can win. So depends if the team shows up or not.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Bozak - Clarkson

Hmmmm

Now is the time for Kadri to show he can be a 1C. If he can't, not sure how long he will be around for, sadly

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Totally disproportionate pessimism here. Leafs will crush the Sabres. Having watched the Sharks/Sabres game, I can tell you that they only beat them by accident.

The Leafs have been average defensively and on the PK - their problems early this season are scoring. Well, the Leafs really don't have a long-term problem there. About the only thing we can expect them to do is score. Kadri and Lupul in particular are underperforming statistically in a way which just belies their effort on ice. They are sporting mammoth possession numbers (58-60% Corsi). Gardiner is also sporting great possession numbers, so his production disappointment isn't going to last long as long as he is not in the pressbox or bench.

I am really not that worried about this team at all... if they can bury their chances with a little more regularity, which they have had no problem doing in the past, they'll be a playoff team.

Buffalo won't be in it at all.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
After being embarrassed at home against Bruins missing their best player in Chara, I'm expecting a real bounce back game here.

Buffalo has only scored 11 goals in 9 games this year, so once the Leafs get 2 goals it should be 2 points in the bank.

I'm calling it Kessel with a big 4 point game and Leafs win going away.

buttman*

After being embarrassed at home against Bruins missing their best player in Chara, I'm expecting a real bounce back game here.

Buffalo has only scored 11 goals in 9 games this year, so once the Leafs get 2 goals it should be 2 points in the bank.

I'm calling it Kessel with a big 4 point game and Leafs win going away.

How many Sabres will break out of their slumps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad