Proposal: Leafs Trades to Fix Defensive Woes

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If Freddie played half as well as he has these playoffs he's probably covered a lot up this year
Freddy was really bad for the first few games of the playoffs. Plenty of weak goals and goals in the first minute of play to deflate the team.

He has been much better the last 2 or 3 though .

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Seems like the Flames and Leafs could be natural trading partners. Calgary needs skill on RW and have depth on D. Toronto has three quality, young RWers and need to upgrade their D.

I wonder if something could be done around Brodie and one of Marner, Nylander or Kapanen? What gets a deal done?

I don’t know how “untouchable” each of these guys are for the Leafs. The only non starter for the Flames would be Hamilton. I can’t see the Flames moving him.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Seems like the Flames and Leafs could be natural trading partners. Calgary needs skill on RW and have depth on D. Toronto has three quality, young RWers and need to upgrade their D.

I wonder if something could be done around Brodie and one of Marner, Nylander or Kapanen? What gets a deal done?

I don’t know how “untouchable” each of these guys are for the Leafs. The only non starter for the Flames would be Hamilton. I can’t see the Flames moving him.

Idk Marner is untouchable he has been ppg for like the last 60 or so games.

Nylander could be dealt but unlikely and Kappy is unknown he's really coming together but we are pulling a Tampa cause another winger for us has emerged in Andreas Johnson.

I'd think one of the latter two could be dealt but I'm not sure Brodie is that guy. As a leafs fan I'd take a chance that he rebounds but many leafs fans don't want to meh.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

does Brodie play RD? The left side is pretty full for the Leafs. Would imagine that only Kapanen would be on the table for Brodie after last season if he plays the right side

Rasmus Andersson is probably a better discussion point

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
does Brodie play RD? The left side is pretty full for the Leafs. Would imagine that only Kapanen would be on the table for Brodie after last season if he plays the right side

Rasmus Andersson is probably a better discussion point

Brodie was a top pairing RD until Gulutzan came along. I used Brodie instead of prospects because it seems the Leafs are looking for top four help now, not futures.

Would Marner or Nylander be available, realistically? Calgary needs a RHS who can play legit top six RW minutes.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Brodie was a top pairing RD until Gulutzan came along. I used Brodie instead of prospects because it seems the Leafs are looking for top four help now, not futures.

Would Marner or Nylander be available, realistically? Calgary needs a RHS who can play legit top six RW minutes.
I think we'd be willing to wait on a guy like Andersson because he looks ready to at least get started now, out patchwork top 4 is doing alright and there's not much pressure to force the compete window open (especially if we win tonight, that will look like progress to fans and ownership)

There's a chance that one of Marner or Nylander would be available for Hamilton, that would be the only way that I can see that being realistic.

But, something around Andersson for...Kapanen/Brown maybe?

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
That Carolina proposal is hilarious somehow a d prospect kapenen and a 2nd is worth 2 top 4 defenseman

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I honestly think the Leafs need a strong defensive guy I.e Vlasic/Giordano.

Gio has been a rock defensively this past year.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
So... uh. Is Gardiner always that bad, or did someone that’s never played defence before just replace him tonight?

To be fair to Jake, this was probably his worst game all year. Hainsey and Andy were also awful as well. I thought Hainsey was worst than Jake all series, but he gets a free pass for some reason.

With Jake, you get flashes of brilliances, and flashes of awful. He was just playing in over his head right now, against a ~top 3 team in the league, IMO...possibly the best.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Dougie Hamilton for Mitch Marner lets go

Although the Leafs need a defensive defenseman badly. Should have ponied up for Hamonic last summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad