Proposal: Leafs Trades to Fix Defensive Woes

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
This is going to be a lot faster written than my previous post, as my computer crashed 20s before posting it ... :[

Nylander
for
Weber, Toronto's 2018 2nd, Montreal's 2019 2nd, Michael McCarron.

Kadri, Kapanen, Liljegren and Toronto's 2019 2nd
for
Faulk, Pesce and Aho.

Zaitsev
for
Athanasiou, Islander's 2019 2nd.

Toronto's 2019 1st, Montreal's 2019 2nd
for
Zuccarello

Resign Komarov and Bozak.

Aho/Matthews/Marner
Hyman/Bozak/Zucc
Marleau/Athanasiou/Brown
Komarov/Leivo/McCarron

Rielly/Weber
Gardiner/Faulk
Pesce/Hainsey

For complete transparency, I am open to critique/conversation for all of the trades except the Montreal one. People on these boards criminally undervalue Weber due to his "atrocious contract" when in reality the Leafs would absolutely take him for the right price considering he fills such a needed role for the team. Weber has a LOT higher value than people give him credit for

The Leafs end up getting a lot better on the right side, and the addition of Pesce gives them a natural replacement for Gardiner. Aho serves to ultimately replace the loss of Nylander, and Marner could replace Bozak if there was a solid 2RW that the Leafs could bring in via trade.

Their offensive group definitely gets weaker short term, but they get cap flexibility around Zucc, Marleau, Komarov, Bozak and Gardiner's deals while ultimately retaining a very solid young core and getting infinitely better defensively.

The primary goal for any franchise is to win a Stanley Cup, at any cost --- and I am of the belief that this roster with the addition of a Top 6 RW at the Trade Deadline could contend for a cup.
Horrible.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The Leafs defensive problems are overblown... they had the 11th least goals against in the league. Ahead of teams like Washington, Tampa and the Wild.

It isn't just down to goaltending either as Freddy had 2 very rough stretches during the regular season.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Something around Andersson from Calgary for Brown or Kapanen would make a lot of sense for both sides. Flames have 2 or 3 guys in Stockton who could play a bottom pairing role and Andersson is likely a 2nd pairing guy already and just can't get in unless they find a taker for Stone.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Something around Andersson from Calgary for Brown or Kapanen would make a lot of sense for both sides. Flames have 2 or 3 guys in Stockton who could play a bottom pairing role and Andersson is likely a 2nd pairing guy already and just can't get in unless they find a taker for Stone.
WE'll take stone instead of Weber

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Maybe they should go after Carlson. Although he will likely get a nice deal somewhere that might not be worth what he is getting. I like him but dont think I would pay him like one of the best D in the game. He would be a great pick up for them though. If I was them I would continue building this team the way they have. Use FA sparingly and draft well. Then there will be a perfect opportunity to grab a real impact player down the line and that guy could put you over the top. Maybe wait another offseason and go for McDonagh or Karlsson. Adding one of those guys would make the Leafs insanely tough to beat.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
When Toronto calls you and tells you what your defensemen are worth:

ofeAK1s.gif

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

We don't need more middle six wingers. We need a top liner.

Much better off using the money we'll save on andersson to go after a big fish

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
The Leafs defensive problems are overblown... they had the 11th least goals against in the league. Ahead of teams like Washington, Tampa and the Wild.

It isn't just down to goaltending either as Freddy had 2 very rough stretches during the regular season.
4th most shots against in the league.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Like **** we will. Weber is coming, just at a reasonable return.
literally would not take Weber for free. If he's an outlier (an extreme outlier based on his size, have a look at how many top pairing dmen there are at 6'4" or bigger over the age of 33 in the NHL), then he fills a major hole for the Leafs that we may be able to fill internally in the long run with Liljegren or find another external avenue like a UFA next summer

if Weber follows the very likely path of regression, his contract is an absolute boat anchor through the prime of the Leafs compete window that's taken years to set up

Someone will take Weber and pay something decent for him, but it shouldn't be a team with a young core just starting to compete, it should be a mature team looking to extend its window and willing to live with a bad contract after a couple of years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad