Proposal: Leafs Trades to Fix Defensive Woes

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
This is going to be a lot faster written than my previous post, as my computer crashed 20s before posting it ... :[

Nylander
for
Weber, Toronto's 2018 2nd, Montreal's 2019 2nd, Michael McCarron.

Kadri, Kapanen, Liljegren and Toronto's 2019 2nd
for
Faulk, Pesce and Aho.

Zaitsev
for
Athanasiou, Islander's 2019 2nd.

Toronto's 2019 1st, Montreal's 2019 2nd
for
Zuccarello

Resign Komarov and Bozak.

Aho/Matthews/Marner
Hyman/Bozak/Zucc
Marleau/Athanasiou/Brown
Komarov/Leivo/McCarron

Rielly/Weber
Gardiner/Faulk
Pesce/Hainsey

For complete transparency, I am open to critique/conversation for all of the trades except the Montreal one. People on these boards criminally undervalue Weber due to his "atrocious contract" when in reality the Leafs would absolutely take him for the right price considering he fills such a needed role for the team. Weber has a LOT higher value than people give him credit for

The Leafs end up getting a lot better on the right side, and the addition of Pesce gives them a natural replacement for Gardiner. Aho serves to ultimately replace the loss of Nylander, and Marner could replace Bozak if there was a solid 2RW that the Leafs could bring in via trade.

Their offensive group definitely gets weaker short term, but they get cap flexibility around Zucc, Marleau, Komarov, Bozak and Gardiner's deals while ultimately retaining a very solid young core and getting infinitely better defensively.

The primary goal for any franchise is to win a Stanley Cup, at any cost --- and I am of the belief that this roster with the addition of a Top 6 RW at the Trade Deadline could contend for a cup.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
This is going to be a lot faster written than my previous post, as my computer crashed 20s before posting it ... :[

Nylander
for
Weber, Montreal's 2018 2nd, Toronto's 2018 2nd, Montreal's 2019 2nd, Michael McCarron.

Kadri, Kapanen, Liljegren and Toronto's 2019 2nd
for
Faulk, Pesce and Aho.

Zaitsev
for
Athanasiou, Islander's 2019 2nd.

Toronto's 2019 1st, Montreal's 2019 2nd
for
Zuccarello

Resign Komarov and Bozak.

Aho/Matthews/Marner
Hyman/Bozak/Zucc
Marleau/Athanasiou/Brown
Komarov/Leivo/McCarron

Rielly/Weber
Gardiner/Faulk
Pesce/Hainsey

For complete transparency, I am open to critique/conversation for all of the trades except the Montreal one. People on these boards criminally undervalue Weber due to his "atrocious contract" when in reality the Leafs would absolutely take him for the right price considering he fills such a needed role for the team. Weber has a LOT higher value than people give him credit for

The Leafs end up getting a lot better on the right side, and the addition of Pesce gives them a natural replacement for Gardiner. Aho serves to ultimately replace the loss of Nylander, and Marner could replace Bozak if there was a solid 2RW that the Leafs could bring in via trade.

Their offensive group definitely gets weaker short term, but they get cap flexibility around Zucc, Marleau, Komarov, Bozak and Gardiner's deals while ultimately retaining a very solid young core and getting infinitely better defensively.

The primary goal for any franchise is to win a Stanley Cup, at any cost --- and I am of the belief that this roster with the addition of a Top 6 RW at the Trade Deadline could contend for a cup.
Habs laugh and hang up. Leafs want Weber think Marner.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Habs one is terrible.
I wouldnt trade Weber straight up for Nylander, let alone add three 2nds...

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Seabrooke and Weber are good dman getting older and worse on very expensive contracts they aren’t worth much especially not a young elite winger in Nylander

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Seabrooke and Weber are good dman getting older and worse on very expensive contracts they aren’t worth much especially not a young elite winger in Nylander
You watch hockey much? Never compare Seabrook to Weber. Seasbrook is terrible.Weber is still a #1

Reactions: GHJimmy

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
That Carolina deal is terrible for them(maybe take out Aho and you have fair deal)

Also how exactly does the Islanders pick get involved in the Detroit deal?

Reactions: TFHockey and Kuola

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Habs laugh and hang up. Leafs want Weber think Marner.

Habs fan here. I added a 3rd 2nd by accident; was an oversight.

Habs definitely want to rid themselves of the Weber contract sooner rather than later. Not to say that his value will drop off the face of the earth, but if it did we definitely wouldn't want to be stuck with it at that point.

Adding either Nylander or Marner would be huge, but I think the Leafs organization value Marner a lot higher than Nylander for a myriad of reasons. Nylander fits our system just fine, especially considering RW is a position of weakness for this team.

I wouldnt trade Weber straight up for Nylander, let alone add three 2nds...

I think that statement is almost as ignorant as:

You couldn’t trade me enough to take on Weber and his contract

---

It doesn’t fit with the Leafs rebuild at all....

The Leafs aren't rebuilding --- not even close. That chapter of your team is closed for now.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
and the Habs can try patch things together for another run and waste Weber's remaining good years in the gutter and not get a bloody thing for him. While the Leafs make the playoffs for the next 10 years.
And never win the cup in those next 10 yrs to extend their streak to 60.WTG

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
You really think you can get Faulk, Pesce, AND Aho without giving up one of the big three? That’s horrible for the Canes.

You can’t just throw together lesser pieces and expect the other team to gift you more valuable players.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
That Carolina deal is awful for the Canes lmao. Losing a third of their defense and their top scorer
As Rangers fan I'd do the zuc deal

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->