Proposal: Leafs Trades to Fix Defensive Woes

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You have to give something to get something. Nylander is young and from Calgary to boot. He can grow with the core. Plus we have a log jam in our D prospects.

Giving Giordano would make us get to last place.

No one on the team can do what he does every night. There’s a reason Brodie went from elite top pairing to average middle pairing.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
The issue then becomes how does the puck get up the ice? The game today (vs even 10 years ago) is all about speed and transition. And for all the issues Gardiner can have (and there's some there), his ability to transition the puck is still an asset to the team. Especially on his current contract.

Everyone who watches the Leafs sees Gardiner make many mistakes that even the greenest rookies wouldn't make.
He is too old to change.
It's time to move on from Jake, JVR and Uncle Leo ( I'd consider keeping Bozak if his price is right).

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Giving Giordano would make us get to last place.

No one on the team can do what he does every night. There’s a reason Brodie went from elite top pairing to average middle pairing.

What's the solution then? Icing a bubble team every year? There needs to be changes and I can't think of a better get for either team. Let Valimaki, Andersson, Fox, and Kylington have a shot. Until then, I think Hamilton, Brodie, Stone, and Hamonic are more than serviceable.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What's the solution then? Icing a bubble team every year? There needs to be changes and I can't think of a better get for either team. Let Valiamki, Andersson, Fox, and Kylington have a shot. Until then, I think Hamilton, Brodie, Stone, and Hamonic are more than serviceable.

There’s a lot you can do before you trade your 1D. Especially for someone like Nylander.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Remember when people said Gardiner was as good or better than Tanev. I remember

There are a lot of polls we can look back on, or comments about who Jake was better than... and there’s a nice list.

I still think he’s a good middle pair option on a team with a legit top pair.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
There’s a lot you can do before you trade your 1D. Especially for someone like Nylander.

I don't know what you're smoking dude. Nylander is worth more than Gio, it's just about team needs. Hence why I said I would add to Gio. Take your homer shades off. We don't NEED Gio, we NEED someone with a right hand shot on the wing to play with your buddy in your avatar.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Everyone who watches the Leafs sees Gardiner make many mistakes that even the greenest rookies wouldn't make.
He is too old to change.

The same can be said for many many D - especially those who are trying to push the play up the ice. Just remember that the grass isn't always greener elsewhere. The difference is that instead of watching them for 82 games, you see those D for 2-10, where they likely only make a handful of mistakes vs you getting to watch Gardiner for an entire season and seeing said mistakes every game.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't know what you're smoking dude. Nylander is worth more than Gio, it's just about team needs. Hence why I said I would add to Gio. Take your homer shades off. We don't NEED Gio, we NEED someone with a right hand shot on the wing to play with your buddy in your avatar.

Don’t even know what to tell you if you think moving Gio for forward help will improve our team.

We NEED a 1D in a predominantly offensive defence core, more than we need a scorer. If Calgary’s bottom 6 chipped in for more than 25 goals and the second lines shooting normalizes; we can forget this absurdity that Calgary needs to buy a RW over anything.

Keep in mind, Nylander just pulled an Eberle when Boston was physical on him. Remind me which division we play in again? That’s right,the one where Dinosaurs still roam free.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
The same can be said for many many D - especially those who are trying to push the play up the ice. Just remember that the grass isn't always greener elsewhere. The difference is that instead of watching them for 82 games, you see those D for 2-10, where they likely only make a handful of mistakes vs you getting to watch Gardiner for an entire season and seeing said mistakes every game.

There is a well known quote that I feel applies here “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”.

I think Leafs fans have had enough insanity with Jake.

Morgie44

Apr 18, 2018
Remember when people said Gardiner was as good or better than Tanev. I remember

The things that some Leaf fans say makes me cringe. Tanev-Reilly would be a legit top pair. Would be willing to give up a lot to get a top-pairing defensive d-man, as building from the net out is the only way to go. That being said, the middle-pairing needs an upgrade too.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
:coyotes

RW Mitch Marner
Conditional 2nd round pick in 2020
(if OEL doesn’t re-sign)

:leafs

LW Max Domi
D Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Conditional 1st round pick in 2020 (if OEL doesn’t re-sign)

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Why do people always propose a trade with the leafs involving Tanev. Personally I'd rather watch the leafs **** the bed every playoffs and waste their prime years away.

The Leafs are in year two of a rebuild and made the playoffs in both years. If that’s shitting the bed than so be it. Chris Tanev is a good player but rarely healthy, he needs to stay healthy to be worth much.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
as much as i like Nylander and people think Weber hold no value, this is a bad trade for Montreal

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
The Leafs are in year two of a rebuild and made the playoffs in both years. If that’s ****ting the bed than so be it. Chris Tanev is a good player but rarely healthy, he needs to stay healthy to be worth much.

2008 5th Overall pick
2009 7th Overall pick
2010 2nd Overall pick *traded
2011 8th? Overall pick *traded
2012 5th Overall pick
2014 8th Overall pick
2015 4th Overall pick
2016 1st Overall pick

"We are in year 2 of our rebuild"

Its painfully obvious you need defensive help. You would have won the series if you had 1 or 2 better defenseman. Yeah it sucks giving up firsts but good D are expensive and rightfully so. Jake Gardiner is just awful. Its time to move on. Bite the bullet and pay up for someone good that can help you. If not Tanev than someone else, but to take the next step you need to do it.

Last edited:

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
2008 5th Overall pick
2009 7th Overall pick
2010 2nd Overall pick *traded
2011 8th? Overall pick *traded
2012 5th Overall pick
2014 8th Overall pick
2015 4th Overall pick
2016 1st Overall pick

"We are in year 2 of our rebuild"

Nice picks, I love how you showed high picks were traded like the Leafs weren’t trying to come up with bandaid solutions instead of a full tear down. How about year 2 of a proper rebuild, is that better for ya wise ass?

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
Justin Faulk, considering his Hurricanes are in the process of new ownership and probable culture change, should be an attractive target for Shanahan and company. Now, selfishly I don't want to see Kasperi Kapanen on the move as I feel Babcock has criminally under used him however given his dad's connection to Raleigh this would be appear to be a sensible match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad