Proposal: Leafs Trades to Fix Defensive Woes

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The Leafs really should bite the bullet and make a serious play for Tanev. What that value amounts to is difficult to say, but he would do their defense absolute wonders. And he comes far cheaper than a higher profile defenseman like Weber.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The Leafs really should bite the bullet and make a serious play for Tanev. What that value amounts to is difficult to say, but he would do their defense absolute wonders. And he comes far cheaper than a higher profile defenseman like Weber.

We needed a guy like him badly this series, I must admit.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Toronto doesn't need to go to that extreme. Let Polak walk and brig in a RD who isn't inept defensively and can move the puck. That will also lessen the dependency on Gardiner.

I also think that this series was a great example as to why it's time to let Komarov walk. Toronto has the young wingers... what they need to keep are the centers. Contracts are going to come into play so they need to be careful, but out of their UFAs the only ones I'd be all that interested in is Pleks and Bozak. Sign one and find an above average depth FA C. Then just keep cycling in the kids on the wings.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Trade Gardiner for a bag of pucks and the Leafs will be much better!

The issue then becomes how does the puck get up the ice? The game today (vs even 10 years ago) is all about speed and transition. And for all the issues Gardiner can have (and there's some there), his ability to transition the puck is still an asset to the team. Especially on his current contract.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Honestly, I don't think the Leafs need to get rid of Gardiner. To be at his utmost best, he needs to either be sheltered more or have an incredibly steady partner that can make up for his gaffes in the D zone and be the leader in the D zone.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Giordano and a small add for Nylander.

Calgary instantly goes to bottom feeding.

Brodie and Stone are the only two D I’d think were remotely available. Tre didn’t spend a tone of assets to break the D corps up right away.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Calgary instantly goes to bottom feeding.

Brodie and Stone are the only two D I’d think were remotely available. Tre didn’t spend a tone of assets to break the D corps up right away.

You have to give something to get something. Nylander is young and from Calgary to boot. He can grow with the core. Plus we have a log jam in our D prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad