Proposal: Leafs Trades to Fix Defensive Woes

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This is going to be a lot faster written than my previous post, as my computer crashed 20s before posting it ... :[

Nylander
for
Weber, Toronto's 2018 2nd, Montreal's 2019 2nd, Michael McCarron.

Kadri, Kapanen, Liljegren and Toronto's 2019 2nd
for
Faulk, Pesce and Aho.

Zaitsev
for
Athanasiou, Islander's 2019 2nd.

Toronto's 2019 1st, Montreal's 2019 2nd
for
Zuccarello

Resign Komarov and Bozak.

Aho/Matthews/Marner
Hyman/Bozak/Zucc
Marleau/Athanasiou/Brown
Komarov/Leivo/McCarron

Rielly/Weber
Gardiner/Faulk
Pesce/Hainsey

For complete transparency, I am open to critique/conversation for all of the trades except the Montreal one. People on these boards criminally undervalue Weber due to his "atrocious contract" when in reality the Leafs would absolutely take him for the right price considering he fills such a needed role for the team. Weber has a LOT higher value than people give him credit for

The Leafs end up getting a lot better on the right side, and the addition of Pesce gives them a natural replacement for Gardiner. Aho serves to ultimately replace the loss of Nylander, and Marner could replace Bozak if there was a solid 2RW that the Leafs could bring in via trade.

Their offensive group definitely gets weaker short term, but they get cap flexibility around Zucc, Marleau, Komarov, Bozak and Gardiner's deals while ultimately retaining a very solid young core and getting infinitely better defensively.

The primary goal for any franchise is to win a Stanley Cup, at any cost --- and I am of the belief that this roster with the addition of a Top 6 RW at the Trade Deadline could contend for a cup.
Lol...got as far as Nylander for Weber and gave up....

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
LEAFS - COYOTES

Nick Hjalmarsson, Max Domi
For
Jake Gardiner, Connor Brown, Dymtro Tymashov/Jeremy Bracco, 2nd

LEAFS - CANUCKS

Chris Tanev
For
1st 2019, Josh Leivo, Calle Rosen

LEAFS - SABRES

Jake Gardiner, Small Add
For
Ryan O’Rielly

DOMI - MATTHEWS - KAPANEN
MARLEAU - O’RIELLY - MARNER
HYMAN - - KADRI - - NYLANDER
JOHNSSON - GOAT - GRUNDSTROM

RIELLY - TANEV
HJALMARSSON - ZAITSEV
DERMOTT - HAINSEY
Nice to know you have 2 YES 2 Jake Gardiner's playing on the Leafs.:facepalm:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
There's no damm way Carolina does that trade, just bad.

Toronto shouldn't be looking at Weber.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Nylander for Weber trade is bad just because of how many injuries Weber has been racking up in the past few years. Nylander is to young to give up on. Not sure what Carolina would want for Faulk if they would even be willing to trade him tho.
All those injuries. Here's another guy that doesn;t know shit about what he's talking about. 1 injury does not = lots of injury.
Get a clue bud.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
LEAFS - COYOTES

Nick Hjalmarsson, Max Domi
For
Jake Gardiner, Connor Brown, Dymtro Tymashov/Jeremy Bracco, 2nd

LEAFS - CANUCKS

Chris Tanev
For
1st 2019, Josh Leivo, Calle Rosen

LEAFS - SABRES

Jake Gardiner, Small Add
For
Ryan O’Rielly

DOMI - MATTHEWS - KAPANEN
MARLEAU - O’RIELLY - MARNER
HYMAN - - KADRI - - NYLANDER
JOHNSSON - GOAT - GRUNDSTROM

RIELLY - TANEV
HJALMARSSON - ZAITSEV
DERMOTT - HAINSEY

Neat trick . Trading J Gardiner twice

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Enough to know that both these players make zero sense in trade for Toronto
Why does it make zero sense for Toronto. His cap hit isn’t that bad. Plus the cap is going up. He’s a number 1 defenceman. Not all players have to be 25 and younger. Look at what Chara has been doing for Boston. He brings veteran leadership and experience to the team. Whatever his contract looks like in 4-5 years, deal with it then. There are always ways out of getting out of a contract. Now if you’re talking zero sense cause of a trade that’s fine. Montreal won’t get Nylander or Marner. If they want picks and prospects then Toronto should look at it. If not then by all means they can look somewhere else.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I see no reason why Carolina whom struggled to score goals is going to trade their top goal scorer. Skinner is from Toronto and would make more sense......

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Why does it make zero sense for Toronto. His cap hit isn’t that bad. Plus the cap is going up. He’s a number 1 defenceman. Not all players have to be 25 and younger. Look at what Chara has been doing for Boston. He brings veteran leadership and experience to the team. Whatever his contract looks like in 4-5 years, deal with it then. There are always ways out of getting out of a contract. Now if you’re talking zero sense cause of a trade that’s fine. Montreal won’t get Nylander or Marner. If they want picks and prospects then Toronto should look at it. If not then by all means they can look somewhere else.
They would look elsewhere if they were looking to trade him.There not.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Reading this thread, it kinda seems that a lot of Habs fans have a bit of TML complex at the moment.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
The more I think about it. The more it appears that Matthews I'd a terrible center come playoff time. Hanafan and a 2nd for Matthews.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
our C depth would suck if all of these happened. i definitely don't want weber and his contract and i'd especially not want to trade nylander for him. the red wings would not want zaitsev and his awful contract and no way to trading a 1st for zuccarello

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00