Proposal: Leafs Trades to Fix Defensive Woes

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Thread titled fix Leaf's D. OP wants to trade scraps for Aho. :scratch head:

Not to mention taking Carolinas top 2 RD. wow that late 2nd will really help. Carolina might trade one of the 2 not both.

A Leafs fan earlier mentioned something around Nylander and Pesce. Start there.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
As an admittedly huge fan of Weber (though I wish we never traded for him) lets look at the facts, shall we?

Cons:
Weber is 33 this season.
Weber is coming off of a 26 game season, and a surgery.
Weber is signed for the next 6 seasons after this one.

Pros:
Weber is absolutely a 1D
Weber absolutely is our best defenseman
Weber absolutely will continue to be elite for at least another 3-4 years
Weber could very likely end up like Chara, and contribute at a top 4 pace for the rest of his career.

Realistic problems for either side:
We trade him, and he becomes Chara 2.0, we just lost a RD for the next half-decade.
We trade him, and he falls off after two or three seasons, we just nabbed a top 6 winger for the next decade for two years of Weber and 4 years of wasted cap.
We don't trade him now, and he falls off in two or three seasons, we are stuck with a degrading defenseman, or we trade him for three quarters instead of a dollar.

The Habs free up a ton of cap space and add to a position of relative weakness.

They can offer Carlson 7m to fill Weber's void, and still come away with close to the same cap-hit while Nylander is on ELC.

Draft a winger (Tkachuk, Zadina or Svechnikov) to play 3RW, and move Shaw/Patches

Chucky, Drouin, Lehkonen on the left, Nylander, Gallagher, Draft Pick on the right --- the Habs wing depth becomes absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

Get lucky and snag a 2C + LD in a trade for Patches + our 2019 1st, and sign Tavares and that team becomes a cup contender overnight.

Don't kid yourself, Weber is great, but freeing up that cap gives the Habs an abundance of options with the caliber of players hitting the market in the next 400 days.

Chances are Weber still has many good years left than just a couple.

Also, you keep talking about how much capspace and depth on wing the habs would have, but those two are literally already the two biggest strengths of the habs. You even added that we were picking one of svech/zadina/tkachuk, which makes having nylander even more redundant.

The habs are expected to have 18 mil in capspace this summer with only Danault needing to be re-signed.
Also, Nylander will be needing a new contract this summer, and will probably get 7mil, which isnt far off what Weber is getting. So we wouldnt even be gaining cap space.

Finally, Weber is easily worth more than a 60 pt soft winger. If we were to trade Weber, it will certainly not be for that.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Not to mention taking Carolinas top 2 RD. wow that late 2nd will really help. Carolina might trade one of the 2 not both.

I'd want a better defenseman than Pesce for Nylander and Hanifin/Slavin are a combination of too expensive and wrong handed. I don't think we're good trade partners.

Reactions: Liferleafer

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

Not quite? Kadri is 30 goal scoring shutdown center in his mid 20's on a sweet heart contract. Liljegren and Kapanen are the Leafs top prospects. Liljegren scored at the highest PPG for a dman in the AHL at 18 years old. Kapanen is probably tied with McDavid as the fastest player in the league. The Leafs want no part of trading those players either.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
No thanks we are fine, the only thing our D needs is time to mature.

Dermott,Littlegrin and Borgman up and coming, rielly/gards/zaitsev still young enough. Carrick is a fine 7th D

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
This is going to be a lot faster written than my previous post, as my computer crashed 20s before posting it ... :[

Nylander
for
Weber, Toronto's 2018 2nd, Montreal's 2019 2nd, Michael McCarron.

Kadri, Kapanen, Liljegren and Toronto's 2019 2nd
for
Faulk, Pesce and Aho.

Zaitsev
for
Athanasiou, Islander's 2019 2nd.

Toronto's 2019 1st, Montreal's 2019 2nd
for
Zuccarello

Resign Komarov and Bozak.

Aho/Matthews/Marner
Hyman/Bozak/Zucc
Marleau/Athanasiou/Brown
Komarov/Leivo/McCarron

Rielly/Weber
Gardiner/Faulk
Pesce/Hainsey

For complete transparency, I am open to critique/conversation for all of the trades except the Montreal one. People on these boards criminally undervalue Weber due to his "atrocious contract" when in reality the Leafs would absolutely take him for the right price considering he fills such a needed role for the team. Weber has a LOT higher value than people give him credit for

The Leafs end up getting a lot better on the right side, and the addition of Pesce gives them a natural replacement for Gardiner. Aho serves to ultimately replace the loss of Nylander, and Marner could replace Bozak if there was a solid 2RW that the Leafs could bring in via trade.

Their offensive group definitely gets weaker short term, but they get cap flexibility around Zucc, Marleau, Komarov, Bozak and Gardiner's deals while ultimately retaining a very solid young core and getting infinitely better defensively.

The primary goal for any franchise is to win a Stanley Cup, at any cost --- and I am of the belief that this roster with the addition of a Top 6 RW at the Trade Deadline could contend for a cup.

Deleted...Just a fifty pound bag of, "Nope."

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
The Leafs are not a cup contender yet. They aren't really supposed to get passed round 1 or 2 at this stage. Let their specs develop, and maybe trade away something like a 2nd round pick if a decent 2nd pair Dman is available (like when Methot went to Dallas). They have 3 solid top 4 Dmen and only really need 1-2 guys and some experience to reach the next tier IMO. No point in making a big splash when they are on track.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
3-4 blockbuster trades and you don't have have a 4th line centre. Leivo literally has zero experience at centre and McCaron is not much better...

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Seabrooke and Weber are good dman getting older and worse on very expensive contracts they aren’t worth much especially not a young eylite winger in Nylander

The only thing elite Nylander has showed so far in the playoff is his softness.

Reactions: Snowman

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Weber is not the answer for Toronto, but if they're serious about fixing their D, I think they're going to have to swallow a pricetag they don't want to. They need a D better than Rielly. That's gonna cost either Marner or Nylander, and probably more.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
This is going to be a lot faster written than my previous post, as my computer crashed 20s before posting it ... :[

Nylander
for
Weber, Toronto's 2018 2nd, Montreal's 2019 2nd, Michael McCarron.

Kadri, Kapanen, Liljegren and Toronto's 2019 2nd
for
Faulk, Pesce and Aho.

Zaitsev
for
Athanasiou, Islander's 2019 2nd.

Toronto's 2019 1st, Montreal's 2019 2nd
for
Zuccarello

Resign Komarov and Bozak.

Aho/Matthews/Marner
Hyman/Bozak/Zucc
Marleau/Athanasiou/Brown
Komarov/Leivo/McCarron

Rielly/Weber
Gardiner/Faulk
Pesce/Hainsey

For complete transparency, I am open to critique/conversation for all of the trades except the Montreal one. People on these boards criminally undervalue Weber due to his "atrocious contract" when in reality the Leafs would absolutely take him for the right price considering he fills such a needed role for the team. Weber has a LOT higher value than people give him credit for

The Leafs end up getting a lot better on the right side, and the addition of Pesce gives them a natural replacement for Gardiner. Aho serves to ultimately replace the loss of Nylander, and Marner could replace Bozak if there was a solid 2RW that the Leafs could bring in via trade.

Their offensive group definitely gets weaker short term, but they get cap flexibility around Zucc, Marleau, Komarov, Bozak and Gardiner's deals while ultimately retaining a very solid young core and getting infinitely better defensively.

The primary goal for any franchise is to win a Stanley Cup, at any cost --- and I am of the belief that this roster with the addition of a Top 6 RW at the Trade Deadline could contend for a cup.
Nylander for Weber trade is bad just because of how many injuries Weber has been racking up in the past few years. Nylander is to young to give up on. Not sure what Carolina would want for Faulk if they would even be willing to trade him tho.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Nylander for Weber trade is bad just because of how many injuries Weber has been racking up in the past few years. Nylander is to young to give up on. Not sure what Carolina would want for Faulk if they would even be willing to trade him tho.

So like 1 injury?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
You couldn’t trade me enough to take on Weber and his contract. It doesn’t fit with the Leafs rebuild at all....

That big gaping rugged high end stay at home RD hole leading to your D getting bullied around fits your rebuild nicely though.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So your plan is to rob the rest of the league blind then American History X curb stomp the Hurricanes?

No one that’s not the Leafs wants anything to do with those deals . Except the Zuccarello one.

Reactions: SkinnerIsStrawng

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
So your plan is to rob the rest of the league blind then American History X curb stomp the Hurricanes?

Sick movie.

No one that’s not the Leafs wants anything to do with those deals . Except the Zuccarello one.
The Leafs don't make any of the moves in the OP, except Zaitsev for Athanasiou and a 2nd. Mostly because Zaitsev didn't come back the same player after his concussion and he could hurt our cap and because Athanasiou is a burner that would fit in here.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
How does Weber make zero sense? You’d rather keep your trash defence (minus Reilly/Gardiner than aquire a number one physical beast dman? He’s what you need in the playoffs not soft no shows.
He'd be a great add, but he's mid-30's, with a heavy contract, coming off an injury that caused him to miss most of the season. We need to factor that into the value when negotiating.

Reactions: TMLeafs18

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I understand that but why take on Weber’s contract that will be a nightmare with the cap for years, makes zero sense
Not really. He makes 7.8 million a year. In 5 years you trade him with incentive. In those 5 years you hope they have won a cup. Considering the cap is going up and top pairing defenders are getting a lot more, it’s not to bad.

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
Leaf fans don't want to hear it but soft one dimensional 60 point wingers who dont show in playoffs are worth Eberle value. Half the teams in league would love to have Weber so stop trying to spin he's some kinda cap dump. 2nd trade the canes give up 2 defenseman and get a prospect to replace them? I remember when they didn't want to give up Nylander for Tanev, lol. No way Van even considers Nylander now.
This is literally the dumbest thing I’ve read this year

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2