GDT: Leafs State of the Union + Locker Clean Out Day (4/27/18)

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I will say this

This playoff format SUCKS!!!!

105 points with no home ice and you face a 112 point team in the first round

Just brutal
Exactly, let's eliminate some of the top teams points wise ASAP. It's bad enough that there were upsets in the 1st rounds under the old playoff scheme.

The NHL NEEDS to go back to 1 verses 8, 2 versus 7 etc. in the 2 conferences!

After a 105 point regular season, our Leafs deserved to have home ice advantage in the 1st round! Not that we would have had it this season!

Reactions: DanM

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
both Matthews + Marner said they want to play more together next year.

SCREW THAT NOISE:mad:

well, unless they both ink up this summer.:naughty:

"PUFFY" stats do not always lead to winning teams

crest on front>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>name on back

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
In the 1-8 format we would've faced Pittsburgh and lost so the format wasn't the issue.

Ok let's put it this way, yes we would have faced Pitts, but overall the 1-8 is much better, we would not be facing Pitts every year.

Reactions: glue

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Exactly, let's eliminate some of the top teams points wise ASAP. It's bad enough that there were upsets in the 1st rounds under the old playoff scheme.

The NHL NEEDS to go back to 1 verses 8, 2 versus 7 etc. in the 2 conferences!

After a 105 point regular season, our Leafs deserved to have home ice advantage in the 1st round! Not that we would have had it this season!

Agreed, and yes this year we would have faced Pitts in the 1-8 format (as one poster let me know) but it wouldn't be Pitts every year.

1-8 is better in the long run

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
So you'd rather have played the champs from the last 2 years? Nashville and Winnipeg aren't complaining they're actually pumped for that series. The Jets were even chanting it. Great teams fears no one and makes no excuses.
Yes I would have rathered Pittsburgh. I didn't say we feared anyone, but the stats and standings say that Boston and the Leafs were both better teams than Pittsburgh this season, I don't care what they did the past 2 seasons. I think we could have beat them and we also would have had home ice advantage.

Reactions: Clark4Ever and glue

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
So you'd rather have played the champs from the last 2 years? Nashville and Winnipeg aren't complaining they're actually pumped for that series. The Jets were even chanting it. Great teams fears no one and makes no excuses.

If great teams fear no one, why would you be worried about facing the pens? I’d welcome that more than routinely facing the Bs/Bolts every postseason.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
When we shut down that line, we beat them. It's playing with fire if you ride or die with 1 line.
Agreed, but I'd argue the Leafs have better depth than the Bruins. At the very least we would have two very capable lines, and most likely it would be 3 good lines.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
I will say this

This playoff format SUCKS!!!!

105 points with no home ice and you face a 112 point team in the first round

Just brutal

The previous format was just as bad. The Leafs had more points than the Canes in 2002 and it was the Canes who had home ice.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Doesn't feel like someone that he will or wants to be back? That is a bizarre way to answer that question.

Last edited:

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
In the 1-8 format we would've faced Pittsburgh and lost so the format wasn't the issue.

Not that I think a series against the Pens would have been easy, but I do think that Pens would have been a better matchup for the Leafs then the Bruins.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
I wouldn't really mind if all of our UFAs walk. Especially if we can land Tavares in free agency and improve our defenseman.

If Nylander can land us a #1D I wouldn't mind trading him.

pengdeng12

Feb 13, 2018

It was fking obvious. Even since that blues injury he wasn't the same. Sure he was getting points but he was engaged in on the forechek

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
You know, over the years with the cap and all the changes the game has gone through, I don't find it better.

I get that parity has helped the game somewhat, and has helped a lot of markets compete, and agree that the league needed these changes to help the overall product, but it sucks that the changes effectively nurture some of the advantages larger market teams have had (Not that the leafs had competent management over the years) but I miss the game as it was.

I am happy to see all the young talent, and glad that athletes are better than ever, but with the loser point, shootouts, instigator, over the glass delay, new playoff format, hard cap, red line etc. I really don't see it as a better product.

Even just looking at the cap world. First you can't keep your team together, and second the playoff format puts you against a 112 point team without home ice in the first round lol

Meh whatever, I am just ranting, I guess Pitts does it, so it's possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad