GDT: Leafs State of the Union + Locker Clean Out Day (4/27/18)

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
honestly, I don't understand this whole thing that he has to play more. like he can produce amazing numbers playing less (which i firmly believe is partially due to the sports science department). like if he had crap numbers etc - it makes sense. but now? not really.
If you're Auston Matthews and you see people like Schmaltz getting more ice time than you, would you not want to play more? Do you not want to be the guy to come over the boards at the beginning of every powerplay?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If you're Auston Matthews and you see people like Schmaltz getting more ice time than you, would you not want to play more? Do you not want to be the guy to come over the boards at the beginning of every powerplay?

I just looked at about 4 seasons of the Wings when Babcock was there and the top 2 TOI forwards .... Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

It'll come.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lauro

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Honestly, I'd rather they both go there instead of the Marlies.

of course as leaf fans we prefer them with the marlies. But representing their countries is a huge thing for some players especially European players, they are both NHLers now (for me anyway) id leave it up to them

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nylander might play for sweden

kind of hope he doesn't. Fans have turned on him already and going there is a lose/lose situation imo. Dominate and the narrative is "soft swede can only dominate on the big ice" and don't dominate "he is an average player cant score at the WHC".

Obviously he probably doesn't give a shit about that, but I can see the narratives now

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Again - if i wasn't producing, sure. you can argue that. But if it was me, if i got 69 points my first year, and i was gonna eclipse that had i not been injured, why it would bother me if someone was getting more ice time than me? I'm still getting my points, and I don't have to play that much meaning (theoretically) i'm fresher down the stretch (which was the plan again injuries aside), winner winner chickpea dinner.

and even if that's not the case - I would also gather that Babcock and the sports science department talks to everyone about why the ice time is being dolled out (because most of the guys are roughly around the same amount of minutes across the board). I've also said I think if the player is on fire that night sure, throw him over the boards more often.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Do you not want to be the guy to come over the boards at the beginning of every powerplay?

I'm sure he does, but it's partly by circumstance and possibly design that he wasn't.

We had very good offensive depth and it just happened to be that the power-play he wasn't on was the one that clicked first.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
kind of hope he doesn't. Fans have turned on him already and going there is a lose/lose situation imo. Dominate and the narrative is "soft swede can only dominate on the big ice" and don't dominate "he is an average player cant score at the WHC".

Obviously he probably doesn't give a **** about that, but I can see the narratives now
Sweden wants to pay his insurance. Thats how popular he is here.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Obviously he probably doesn't give a **** about that, but I can see the narratives now

who cares. i mean i don't want him to go because i don't want him to get hurt. but he shouldn't not go because dumb people have dumb opinions.

Reactions: Loosie

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Sweden wants to pay his insurance. Thats how popular he is here.

that's great I think he goes, I didn't even think about insurance how does that work when he doesn't have a contract right now? are they insuring him for future earnings?

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
that's great I think he goes, I didn't even think about insurance how does that work when he doesn't have a contract right now? are they insuring him for future earnings?
Something like that. Nylander probably gonna cost 10-20 million dollar to play whc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad