GDT: Leafs State of the Union + Locker Clean Out Day (4/27/18)

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Just got beat by a team who loads up one line, forgive us for thinking it may work in Toronto.
Boston plays it together, Pittsburgh plays it apart. Sometimes Kessel is with Malkin/Crosby, sometimes not. Chicago usually had Toews/Kane on different lines. Of all the things that need to be addressed, this is small potatoes and not the place to start.

30 goal scorer out.
3C
4C
D
Organizational depth at C is not good.
Better Playoff support upgrade.
GM returning or not?
Gardiner UFA

Start there.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The previous format was just as bad. The Leafs had more points than the Canes in 2002 and it was the Canes who had home ice.
Oh yes, Division winners got home ice!

Screw the rivalry BS with inter-division quarter finals! You should reward the teams with the highest points IMHO.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Gary Roberts and his group should be training our whole team starting a week from today lol

One can dream..... :yo:

But he would whip their asses in elite shape

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Just got beat by a team who loads up one line, forgive us for thinking it may work in Toronto.

There's more than one template for success. Loading up one line is not an infallible strategy by any means. In fact, I would suggest the opposite is true based on recent Stanley Cup champions.

And furthermore, the main reason Boston barely squeaked past us is because Freddy was sub par in at least 4 of the 7 games. If Marner played with Matthews we still would have lost.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Doesn't feel like someone that he will or wants to be back? That is a bizarre way to answer that question.

or a vet just stating the facts, today is not about him

it's about our players and the great season they had

and our bright future

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
There's more than one template for success. Loading up one line is not an infallible strategy by any means. In fact, I would suggest the opposite is true based on recent Stanley Cup champions.

And furthermore, the main reason Boston barely squeaked past us is because Freddy was sub par in at least 4 of the 7 games. If Marner played with Matthews we still would have lost.
I suppose my point wasn't that we would have a cup if they were together. But is it so ludicrous to think that we may be a better team with them together? Why not at least give it a shot, maybe in training camp at least?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I’m glad Matthews doesn’t require surgery.

I want to see him get back to lifting sticks, stealing pucks and creating scoring chances. He didn’t do that much this year.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Boston plays it together, Pittsburgh plays it apart. Sometimes Kessel is with Malkin/Crosby, sometimes not. Chicago usually had Toews/Kane on different lines. Of all the things that need to be addressed, this is small potatoes and not the place to start.

30 goal scorer out.
3C
4C
D
Organizational depth at C is not good.
Better Playoff support upgrade.
GM returning or not?
Gardiner UFA

Start there.

4th C is done IMO

Aalt/Gauth will be good enough.

even then we have a "back up 4thc" with one in the ahl and a top 9 C "fill in" with willi

so to say "depth" i'd say we are fine

we just need to pick up 1 top 9 c starter or convert willi

maybe offer gards to edm and see what rhsD they have.

playoff support upgrade???? non issue i believe age/time is all that is needed here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad