GDT: Leafs State of the Union + Locker Clean Out Day (4/27/18)

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Just got beat by a team who loads up one line, forgive us for thinking it may work in Toronto.

And the 3 games Toronto won that top line had 0 points. So the message is clear, you shut that line down you win. We just weren't able to do it for a 4th game. Otherwise we'd be getting ready to play Tampa tomorrow.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
And the 3 games Toronto won that top line had 0 points. So the message is clear, you shut that line down you win. We just weren't able to do it for a 4th game. Otherwise we'd be getting ready to play Tampa tomorrow.
Yeah I think they live and die by that line doing well so it'll be interesting to see how they can go toe to toe with Tampa's depth which is arguably better than ours.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
Brian Burke is stepping down in Calgary.

Shanny bringing him back :sarcasm:

Im not for bringing him back let me make that clear up front.

I predicted to a friend of mine that we would win the cup under Burke about 4 years before he became our GM. Whats funnier? he became GM within the time frame I said it would happen. The reason for my prediction was that around that time (memory is a finicky thing so you'll have to excuse a year or 2) the league had a major crackdown on holding/hooking/interference. I saw this was going to be an issue for BB with his admiration for very large players who held/hooked and slowed the game down to their pace. I assumed the league was going to let up on those calls after Crosby got a cup or 2. They didn't. Although this year they seemed to be ignoring holding again with hooking/interference being only called every once in a while.

My point? The league may be ripe to start introducing a couple of BB style players into our mix. With our speed, adding an ability to slow the opponent down would be incredible.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
No. Auston Matthews is on the second unit. He's still our best player. Don't let one series fool you.

Auston Matthews has never been on the "#1 powerplay."
2 straight years the Kadri-Marner-Bozak-JVR unit out produced the Matthews-Nylander unit.

Reactions: Loosie

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Auston Matthews has never been on the "#1 powerplay."
2 straight years the Kadri-Marner-Bozak-JVR unit out produced the Matthews-Nylander unit.

Obviously, when they get the first look and the most minutes. Babs could find an even better combo, with or without Matthews, but he's too stubborn to try something else.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Its a pretty terrible UFA crop if we're looking to keep costs under 6M/yr. My first choice would be Willy to C, but I don't see it happening, so I expect Bozak back. Basically looks like Bozak or Riley Nash if you want a middle 6 C since Filppula hates Babs.

Thornton might be a good shorter term solution for about $6.25

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Not that this means anything, but did you see how fast Matty said yes to playing with Marner lol

low talk low talk low talk YES I DO lol
Well of course he does , who doesn't want to play with the best player on the team ?

Reactions: DanM

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
True, he's a wild card and I have no idea what type of numbers he'd want.

I just picked that, as he's almost always made about the same, just a little more than Marleau. Figured he might be up for that again.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Obviously, when they get the first look and the most minutes. Babs could find an even better combo, with or without Matthews, but he's too stubborn to try something else.

oh yes.
we could have the leagues best power play instead of 2nd best. For shame.

oh and for your information. Babcock does not run the powerplay. It's Hiller.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
oh yes.
we could have the leagues best power play instead of 2nd best. For shame.

oh and for your information. Babcock does not run the powerplay. It's Hiller.
Babs runs everything, even if he chooses to appoint someone to direct the PP.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Babs runs everything, even if he chooses to appoint someone to direct the PP.

okay. I just remember he saying that Hiller does PP, Smith is defense and PK
but if that is wrong, then i apologise and i stand corrected.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
The minutes are evenly distributed on the PP ( less than a 10 sec interval between the two). The Marner unit was the number 1 unit in the entire league. If you're trying to find fault with the deployment it's that the 2nd unit was given too much ice. They were awful for a couple of months.
Once they put Matthews and Nylander back on their strong sides it picked up again.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
okay. I just remember he saying that Hiller does PP, Smith is defense and PK
but if that is wrong, then i apologise and i stand corrected.
You're right that he's likely given someone else the duties to lead, but everything goes through him.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->