User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Me at home listening.:laugh:

1672239293958.gif

FanForLife

Oct 27, 2018
Winnipeg
No you said it’s consistent and that it affects every team equally that it “evens out”. I’m saying who cares if they call or miss an “even” amount on every team. It’s not just about the number but the timing.
YOU said about calls being made when the game is basically over anyways don't count. "You’re equating yeah they missed calls when a team is trying to catch up with yeah but they’ll call or not call an equally bad one on the other team when it’s a 5-0 game" Your words, not mine NEVER did I mention what the game situation is, or when that game is. It maybe a time where it is 5-0, or it maybe a 3-3 game. I don't know, no one does. Jets got screwed over this game, I agree. But they will benefit from bad/missed calls sometimes too unless you truly believe there is conspiracy against them by the refs/NHL. I don't. Individually, Sceiffele doesn't do himself(hence, the team) or the team any favors by showing up the refs...they don't like that.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
well, the losing sucks. But we're pretty well-entrenched as far as playoffs go so there's ample time to right the ship. But it needs to start asap...
Were in a good spot but I'd say overall grasp has been dwindling. COL is 3pts behind us with 2 games in hand for WC1 Spot. And we're 4 pts up from 9th. The west has tightened up.
Also give Mallot a chance for goodness sake. They keep throwing in these waiver pickups who can't score if their life depended on it, maybe time to give Mallot who has been a good soldier on the Moose his shot. He can't be worse. Any of Kuhlman, Gus, AJF can sit as far as I am concerned.
Any infusion of skill or offensive iq will be a welcomed addition. Half the fwd group is waiver wire or ahl players. Gus provides 0 out there. AJF, I saw this brought up elsewhere, if he played without a stick would it matter? Kuhlman, Stenlund, Eyssimont these guys aren't giving you consistent offense. Neither is Harkins really.

I don't usually pay that heavy attention to waivers but seems like if there are ever skill guys, they are usually available beginning of the year... Ie: Milano or Sprong this year.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The refs aren’t out to get anyone they simply are incompetent at the worst times.
Every team gets jobbed.
I remember a game several years ago ( can’t remember where) Chevy went from his box to the box which happened to have NHL officials because we absolutely got a raw deal that very game and not surprisingly our games were officiated way differently after that.
Does anyone else recall that?
It was the early era of Maurice when we were among the top penalized teams.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
My summation of this game is Helle let in 2 very soft goals he should have had. The first one went right thru his legs -- very bad. Minnesota goalie was good, but wasn't tested a lot on real good chances.
I read this and went back to look at the highlights package.

The first one went in under his arm.

Reactions: Inanna and Jets 31

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Nice analysis

Ajf-stenlund-kuhlman played a good 4th line game except they are our third line - I thought stenlund got caught deep a few times - on two goals for sure and didn't have the speed to backcheck

I'm not a fan of the loaded line - put eyssimont or kuhlman with pld and Connor to give them some space

Gagner-scheif-harkins - try that and reward the guy who's been here forever instead of our waiver wire flavour of the week

Lowry will have a good checking line regardless of who's with him

I'd really look at samberg-dillon and bump pionk down to third pairing with Capo - he needs to simplify his game
I'm not sure Stenlund was at fault on either of those. The first one was definitely Lowry who took himself out of position going for the big hit, probably pissed that he didn't get a hooking call on a breakaway, that could have led to a 4 on 4 instantly. It was a 3 on 2 from the Minnesota blue line because of that.

The 2nd goal was a 2 on 2 situation right after the PK, and maybe he could have played deeper in the zone, to protect his d-man but that was a one on one battle that Pionk lost badly, or Zuccarello won skillfully, however you want to see it, which created an odd man rush. Other than that and another chance given up in the 3rd I thought PIonk played a pretty strong game, and he was given the tough assignment, Minnesota's checking line, which is physical, and for which he paid the price. There's some passes he made in this game that could have been buried by NHL calibre shooters. And therein lies the problem.

i understand what you are saying and I don't disagree that with 2 strong centres there's more offense, except that these guys that are playing up the lineup aren't the kind of guys who generate offense consistently, Duby and Connor are, and I liked the chances they created, I'd say there were at least 4 or 5 grade A chances. Eyssimont I noticed falling down a lot this game, whenever he delivered a check, and he missed his chance to score. Gagner is a defensive liability I'm not sure you want him on Scheife;e's line, no matter who else is on it.

I do think Harkins could get a different look, maybe swap him for Kuhlman on Lowry's line, get Eyssimont and Harkins back together, but I mean that's not a game changer by any means.

Flyby

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2022
There is complaining about isolated missed calls and then there was what we witnessed last night. That was criminal incompetence on the part of the refs last night. Not even mentioning the many hooks, holds and trips that were let slide, they ignored a vicious deliberate elbow the face of Pionk by Greenwood that likely broke his nose (and a hit to the face is still a hit to the head and needs to be reviewed by the league), they also CHOSE not to call a blatant high stick that fillets Connor’s face open. The ref initially had his arm up so it was a conscious choice and don’t tell me a 4 minute major in the last 5 minutes wouldn’t have given us a chance to tie that game up. I just can’t believe there is not more outrage, by the team and the fans!!!

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The refs aren’t out to get anyone they simply are incompetent at the worst times.
Every team gets jobbed.
I remember a game several years ago ( can’t remember where) Chevy went from his box to the box which happened to have NHL officials because we absolutely got a raw deal that very game and not surprisingly our games were officiated way differently after that.
Does anyone else recall that?
It was the early era of Maurice when we were among the top penalized teams.
You mean the Kane era where he spent every commercial break chirping the refs...

Reactions: Eyeseeing

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I read this and went back to look at the highlights package.

The first one went in under his arm.
Very well could be, and maybe it was the 2nd one thru his pads, either way I thought he let in 2 very soft goals that deflated the team. Most of the time he would have had those. With our lineup right now, we need great Goaltending imo.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The fact officiating changes completely come playoffs is really all you need to know to see that officiating in the NHL is very bad. I wish they would put the names of the refs back on their uniform, i get sick of calling them assholes all the time.:naughty:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'm not sure Stenlund was at fault on either of those. The first one was definitely Lowry who took himself out of position going for the big hit, probably pissed that he didn't get a hooking call on a breakaway, that could have led to a 4 on 4 instantly. It was a 3 on 2 from the Minnesota blue line because of that.

The 2nd goal was a 2 on 2 situation right after the PK, and maybe he could have played deeper in the zone, to protect his d-man but that was a one on one battle that Pionk lost badly, or Zuccarello won skillfully, however you want to see it, which created an odd man rush. Other than that and another chance given up in the 3rd I thought PIonk played a pretty strong game, and he was given the tough assignment, Minnesota's checking line, which is physical, and for which he paid the price. There's some passes he made in this game that could have been buried by NHL calibre shooters. And therein lies the problem.

i understand what you are saying and I don't disagree that with 2 strong centres there's more offense, except that these guys that are playing up the lineup aren't the kind of guys who generate offense consistently, Duby and Connor are, and I liked the chances they created, I'd say there were at least 4 or 5 grade A chances. Eyssimont I noticed falling down a lot this game, whenever he delivered a check, and he missed his chance to score. Gagner is a defensive liability I'm not sure you want him on Scheife;e's line, no matter who else is on it.

I do think Harkins could get a different look, maybe swap him for Kuhlman on Lowry's line, get Eyssimont and Harkins back together, but I mean that's not a game changer by any means.
What I didn't like about stenlund is that he chased the play on lowrys break... and got caught deep - same thing on the third goal... got caught and couldnt catch up

There's just too many trigger men on the loaded line - all you need is someone to hustle and create space - maybe Harkins is that guy... look at bunting or Hyman- they succeed just by a strong forecheck wreKinh havoc - that's not scheifs game

Kfc-pld-harks
Gagner-scheif-stenlund
Barron-lowry-kuhlman
Ajf-toni-eyss

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
It's being recast by some as "he was just doing his thing." Lol...folks, sometimes bad is just bad. He obviously had only run through it a couple times before going out. He lost it at several points...I play guitar myself and am VERY familiar with baffle-fingers :laugh:
Wasn't it $6 beer night before the game? Could explain some of it, after all he is a Winnipegger and knows a deal when he sees it...:dunno:

Me at home listening.:laugh:

Yeah, I would say I was doing that too...

Reactions: Jets 31

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

Your detailed analysis is both informative and thought provoking - good job. Agree with your premise that a big issue is the lack of finishing when we do get a prime scoring opportunity, but imo this was disturbingly evident last night from the top line itself ( and not just the so called bottom nine). Scheifele in particular but also Connor both were unable to capitalize on many ocassions. Maybe this is inevitable from a team whose GF is significantly greater than xGF.

But if you look at the game from the vantage that Helle and Scheif both had off games, it`s not hard to understand why we lost. By the way, I thought Lowry had one of his poorest games of recent as well, both by eye test and by stats. He was matched against their top line but really got eaten alive.

Last edited:
Reactions: kanadalainen

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
There is complaining about isolated missed calls and then there was what we witnessed last night. That was criminal incompetence on the part of the refs last night. Not even mentioning the many hooks, holds and trips that were let slide, they ignored a vicious deliberate elbow the face of Pionk by Greenwood that likely broke his nose (and a hit to the face is still a hit to the head and needs to be reviewed by the league), they also CHOSE not to call a blatant high stick that fillets Connor’s face open. The ref initially had his arm up so it was a conscious choice and don’t tell me a 4 minute major in the last 5 minutes wouldn’t have given us a chance to tie that game up. I just can’t believe there is not more outrage, by the team and the fans!!!

They chose not to call the high stick on Connor because Pionk's stick lifted Steel's into Connor's face.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I wouldn't say iron clad grip. The 9th place team in the West is 4 points behind the Jets, with the Jets having a game in hand. Minnesota and Colorado could put the Jets in a WC position if they win their games in hand, 1 and 2 respectively.

It's not panic mode, but time to be concerned. Getting the Canucks twice in the next 5 games might be winnable games, but those games in Alberta are going to be crucial, and very intense games. And no one is looking to be back in the lineup for those games.

Getting points is crucial at all times, avoiding slumps is the key.

Right now I'm concerned. Rick Bowness is relying on several players who weren"t good enough to stick in the NHL at various points of this season, 5 who have been through waivers, to give the team a push. That's a lot to ask.
I didn`t give this a "like" but it certainly does provide a good dose of realism to the current situation. :nod: There are far too many on this board who get their expectations way too high ,too quickly when things are going well- and then of course get overly down and panicky when things inevitably turn down.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
What an awful game.
The Wild are so boring.
When a team dominates us usually there's at least some entertainment from them dominating possession and getting chances in our end. Minny was very efficient with the few chances they had.
Hellebuyck seemed to be off against them again.
This line up isn't built to come from behind so a weak goal or 2 is insurmountable.

Nobody could do much of anything, Scheif in particular seemed to be off and a bit low energy (waiting for the puck to come to him).

Gustaffson had some really promising games early in the season. It felt like he had cemented his role in the bottom 6. These last couple of weeks he has been awful. I don't know if he's playing banged up or if he's lost some confidence but whatever it is he is a negative to the team in his current form.

I hate that other Canadian teams will get to feast on us while we are so weak.
After the 3 games we play the Bolts on January 6th.
Saku and Perfetti might both be ready for that one.
2 games later (Jan-10th) vs the Wings seems to be a game that several players may be available for.

The Jets will need to finish January strong and roll through February to be in the hunt for a top Central spot.
It would be a shame to be in the Wild Card dog fight after such a strong start to the season.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
What an awful game.
The Wild are so boring.
When a team dominates us usually there's at least some entertainment from them dominating possession and getting chances in our end. Minny was very efficient with the few chances they had.
This line up isn't built to come from behind so a weak goal or 2 is insurmountable.

Nobody could do much of anything, Scheif in particular seemed to be off and a bit low energy (waiting for the puck to come to him).

Gustaffson had some really promising games early in the season. It felt like he had cemented his role in the bottom 6. These last couple of weeks he has been awful. I don't know if he's playing banged up or if he's lost some confidence but whatever it is he is a negative to the team in his current form.

2 games later (Jan-10th) vs the Wings seems to be a game that several players may be available for.

The Jets will need to finish January strong and roll through February to be in the hunt for a top Central spot.
It would be a shame to be in the Wild Card dog fight after such a strong start to the season.
Game was bad, i actually quit watching half way through the second period when the result was obvious!

Reactions: GNP and PaulPooley

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
After the dude from Big Sugar debacle, it looks like TN is going to one-up themselves for the Canucks game - they asked me if I wanted to sing the anthem.

• Haha
Reactions: SUX2BU and Jets 31

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
After the dude from Big Sugar debacle, it looks like TN is going to one-up themselves for the Canucks game - they asked me if I wanted to sing the anthem.
I missed the anthem but just saw it now.

I wish people would just sing the anthem and be done with it. These renditions or personal flairs etc are so unnecessary imo for something that should be so simple and uniform all around.

And ppl in the crowd should really stand and sing or shut the f*** up for 120 seconds. And REMOVE THEIR HATS, BEANIES OR TUQUES (sorry major pet peeve as you can tell).

Idk I learned this shit 20 some years ago in elementary. It's not hard at all

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
They chose not to call the high stick on Connor because Pionk's stick lifted Steel's into Connor's face.
I don't agree wth that at all. There was a play a couple of games ago where Stenlund got knocked down and as a result his stick came up on a player and he was penalized.

The prevailing idea is you have to be in control of your stick at all times, so Steel in that case should still be held accountable.

This is the main problem with nhl officiating, the rules are not defined well enough which leads to too much interpretation by the refs.

Until that's corrected we will continue to see uneven application of the rules and the awful result of that.

What an awful game.
The Wild are so boring.

That third period was unwatchable. The Mild played rope a dope, flip the puck out, interfere, interfere, interfere.

I would hate it if my team played like that.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Coming back into town for Christmas, I was excited to be going to the Minny and Vancouver games considering how exciting the Jets had been playing for several weeks. But then of course our top players start dropping one by one to injuries/Illnesses, and now we’ll be lucky to get a win either game.

Way she goes, sometimes.

And wow, the crowd sure has lost all its energy. It was like TNSE was charging fans per Go Jets Go chant.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Adversity isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
Rough patch now but we have points banked.
Just have to weather the storm and keep playing hard.
This team is putting the effort in and that’s all you can ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad