Post-Game Talk: Lack of talent, Jets lose 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FanForLife

Oct 27, 2018
Winnipeg
why does there need to be a conspiracy against any team for them to get more bad calls then good, all it takes is poor officiating, do you have any actual data that has tracked all penalties, missed calls and bad calls for every team to support your "all calls are evened up" argument

I've watched a shit ton of hockey outside of the jets and what is a penalty one night is not a penalty the next, that leads to way to much inconsistency to have an even playing field where things can even themselves out and some teams are going to end up getting the short end of the stick

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
You win. Jets are totally screwed all the time by refs, no other team has calls missed. The NHL has directed referees to screw Winnipeg. How could I be so blind??
I just pointed out that not all missed calls are equal. Not that it’s a conspiracy. You’re equating yeah they missed calls when a team is trying to catch up with yeah but they’ll call or not call an equally bad one on the other team when it’s a 5-0 game. I don’t want 5 penalties for each team I just want the right call and consistency. And pointing out that it’s more than just mathematics.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
after looking at the schedule for january, I think if we play like we did tonight and helle plays like helle we can get through this stretch until guys return

People tend to look at the team and whether they make the playoffs in a vacuum - the reality is the West is pretty bad this year. I think given where they are right now it's still a very strong chance they make it and as players come back from injury the team should start putting points up again.

FanForLife

Oct 27, 2018
Winnipeg
why does there need to be a conspiracy against any team for them to get more bad calls then good, all it takes is poor officiating, do you have any actual data that has tracked all penalties, missed calls and bad calls for every team to support your "all calls are evened up" argument

I've watched a shit ton of hockey outside of the jets and what is a penalty one night is not a penalty the next, that leads to way to much inconsistency to have an even playing field where things can even themselves out and some teams are going to end up getting the short end of the stick???

And buddy I watched a lot of hockey too, and played junior and senior hockey...and you are right about the inconsistency. What you fail to mention is that the inconsistency is consistent, which circles me back to officiating/calls evening out in the end. Short term(ie one game), fine, teams get screwed. But I can give you examples of EVERY team in the league over the years losing a game by a missed call or weak penalty. One question...do you really believe its just the Jets getting all bad(missed) calls, all the time? Simply incorrect.

FanForLife

Oct 27, 2018
Winnipeg
I just pointed out that not all missed calls are equal. Not that it’s a conspiracy. You’re equating yeah they missed calls when a team is trying to catch up with yeah but they’ll call or not call an equally bad one on the other team when it’s a 5-0 game. I don’t want 5 penalties for each team I just want the right call and consistency. And pointing out that it’s more than just mathematics.
I never mentioned about a time when calls are missed or made. That's you. That may be true, or it may not, but I didn't say that.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
And buddy I watched a lot of hockey too, and played junior and senior hockey...and you are right about the inconsistency. What you fail to mention is that the inconsistency is consistent, which circles me back to officiating/calls evening out in the end. Short term(ie one game), fine, teams get screwed. But I can give you examples of EVERY team in the league over the years losing a game by a missed call or weak penalty. One question...do you really believe its just the Jets getting all bad(missed) calls, all the time? Simply incorrect.
did I say the jets are getting all bad calls all the time? no, I said nhl reffing is awful and some teams are going to get the short end of the stick, that doesn't mean they only get bad calls... it means they just get more bad calls then good.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I never mentioned about a time when calls are missed or made. That's you. That may be true, or it may not, but I didn't say that.
No you said it’s consistent and that it affects every team equally that it “evens out”. I’m saying who cares if they call or miss an “even” amount on every team. It’s not just about the number but the timing.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Some of you are too quick to go into panic mode. The team still has an iron grip on a playoff spot. This is why it was important to bank points, it allows you to weather a rough patch without making drastic moves. By the sounds of it we get a good chunk of our injured players back within two weeks. If there is a good deal to be had make or but we aren't in a position where we need to panic.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Well i'm blaming this loss on that god awful anthem, whoever gave the ok to that should not be in charge anymore because they don't know music. Jesus that was awful. Not picking on Helly but he has to be better than last night when we are a one line hockey team. That anthem though....

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Some of you are too quick to go into panic mode. The team still has an iron grip on a playoff spot. This is why it was important to bank points, it allows you to weather a rough patch without making drastic moves. By the sounds of it we get a good chunk of our injured players back within two weeks. If there is a good deal to be had make or but we aren't in a position where we need to panic.
I wouldn't say iron clad grip. The 9th place team in the West is 4 points behind the Jets, with the Jets having a game in hand. Minnesota and Colorado could put the Jets in a WC position if they win their games in hand, 1 and 2 respectively.

It's not panic mode, but time to be concerned. Getting the Canucks twice in the next 5 games might be winnable games, but those games in Alberta are going to be crucial, and very intense games. And no one is looking to be back in the lineup for those games.

Getting points is crucial at all times, avoiding slumps is the key.

Right now I'm concerned. Rick Bowness is relying on several players who weren"t good enough to stick in the NHL at various points of this season, 5 who have been through waivers, to give the team a push. That's a lot to ask.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
My analysis of this game is a couple of leaky goals in the 1st period were a big deflation for this team. Could have gone up early on the PK, but the momentum shifted quickly. Jets got it back after the Dubois goal, but lost it with a poor defensive play by Neal Pionk to give up a clean 2 on 1 from the blueline immediately after a disappointing PP.

I don't know what a 4 minute PP would have done at the end, but I think the 8 minutes of PP time the Jets deserved, and got none instead was a big difference maker in this game.

I think the poor officiating is going to continue, I think Scheifele's antics in Washington won't help the refs see the game in the Jets favour. I just hope that poor reffing isn't the theme of the Jets 2023 part of the season.

Minnesota is a real nemesis for the Jets. They play like their coach did, rugged hard nosed hockey. They have the skill to make a good PP. and score some nice goals. There's structure in their game. And the goaltending has been good.

With some smaller skilled d-men I'd like to see a Jets lineup that could lean on that Wild defense, make them work harder in their zone.

I like the lineup changes Bowness made, the power line had some grade A chances that could have gone in. I liked the 4th line, with AJF-Stenlund-Kuhlman they played a good 4th line game. Secondary scoring is going to be a big issue while this team recuperates.

This team needs the next game, in a confidence building way. Because I think right now it's hard to be confident when you're taking your licks, and stars are getting worn down, and you look down the bench, and there's only a handful of players that belong in the roles they are in. Everybody else is just playing to stay in the league.

DugSmail

Oct 12, 2015
Must be tough for Chevy to make a trade of any significance, first find a player for your top six that doesn't have Winnipeg on the shit list, second find a player that is actually available who fits into your cap structure, third not get hosed because you feel pressure and your team is falling out of a playoff spot. Would a trade be helpful right now, all depends on who you get and what you give up for him but I think that Chevy stands pat.
This, plus one player, even a top 6 forward is not going to singlehandedly fix our issues - and what you give up for this poster is going to create another hole elsewhere.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Well i'm blaming this loss on that god awful anthem, whoever gave the ok to that should not be in charge anymore because they don't know music. Jesus that was awful. Not picking on Helly but he has to be better than last night when we are a one line hockey team. That anthem though....

Who butchered the anthem? Been having issues watching games, thx

Reactions: hockeyarena

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
My analysis of this game is a couple of leaky goals in the 1st period were a big deflation for this team. Could have gone up early on the PK, but the momentum shifted quickly. Jets got it back after the Dubois goal, but lost it with a poor defensive play by Neal Pionk to give up a clean 2 on 1 from the blueline immediately after a disappointing PP.

I don't know what a 4 minute PP would have done at the end, but I think the 8 minutes of PP time the Jets deserved, and got none instead was a big difference maker in this game.

I think the poor officiating is going to continue, I think Scheifele's antics in Washington won't help the refs see the game in the Jets favour. I just hope that poor reffing isn't the theme of the Jets 2023 part of the season.

Minnesota is a real nemesis for the Jets. They play like their coach did, rugged hard nosed hockey. They have the skill to make a good PP. and score some nice goals. There's structure in their game. And the goaltending has been good.

With some smaller skilled d-men I'd like to see a Jets lineup that could lean on that Wild defense, make them work harder in their zone.

I like the lineup changes Bowness made, the power line had some grade A chances that could have gone in. I liked the 4th line, with AJF-Stenlund-Kuhlman they played a good 4th line game. Secondary scoring is going to be a big issue while this team recuperates.

This team needs the next game, in a confidence building way. Because I think right now it's hard to be confident when you're taking your licks, and stars are getting worn down, and you look down the bench, and there's only a handful of players that belong in the roles they are in. Everybody else is just playing to stay in the league.
Nice analysis

Ajf-stenlund-kuhlman played a good 4th line game except they are our third line - I thought stenlund got caught deep a few times - on two goals for sure and didn't have the speed to backcheck

I'm not a fan of the loaded line - put eyssimont or kuhlman with pld and Connor to give them some space

Gagner-scheif-harkins - try that and reward the guy who's been here forever instead of our waiver wire flavour of the week

Lowry will have a good checking line regardless of who's with him

I'd really look at samberg-dillon and bump pionk down to third pairing with Capo - he needs to simplify his game

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Nice analysis

I'm not a fan of the loaded line - put eyssimont or kuhlman with pld and Connor to give them some space

100% agree with this.

simon_cowell_gif_youre_awesome_the_x_factor_happy_sigh.gif

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I wouldn't say iron clad grip. The 9th place team in the West is 4 points behind the Jets, with the Jets having a game in hand. Minnesota and Colorado could put the Jets in a WC position if they win their games in hand, 1 and 2 respectively.

Agree.

and @surixon, with all respect (I always appreciate your analyses):

If you ask me nothing is iron-clad at this point in the west. Even in our division (a weak one), we'll need to look out for the Avs for when they get their return to relative health. Others have pointed out that the difference between a wild card team and third place is not a lot - we are sitting at 43 points which is right in the middle of a whack of Western conference teams.

OTOH I do agree that we are merely going through a rough patch, no panic required. Realistically the Jets will lose a bit of ground, gained back when all players return and we have the situation under control.

mcdonald-chris-mcdonald.gif

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2006
The dude from Big sugar, he sang the US anthem and played electric guitar, both were bad then just guitar for the Canadian anthem and his guitar play was awful.
I walked in to the arena as this sonic atrocity was unfolding. Had no idea it was the dude from Big Sugar. I assumed someone was torturing a cat while the cat was learning how to play guitar.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm not panicking.

Isn't this our first 3 game losing streak of the season?

The Jets have 4 top nine forwards out, a very impactful bottom 6 out, and a top 4 D.

They haven't had a practice in over 3 weeks! So those players playing up the lineup aren't even getting a lot of instruction.

Even during our beastly 10 games in 16 days we played the best team in the nhl very well. If Helle was normal Helle last night and we got a bounce out two we would have won despite all this.

I think we will stick with what we have and hold our own. Then when we get some players back and get some real practices I think we will get back to challenging for a top 3 finish in the west.

I still feel good about this team because for the first time in years this team looks organized, passionate and hard working. That overcomes a lot, and you pair that with some elite talent and all world goaltending and you have a real contender.

I do think we will pick up a legit scorer at some point this season, but Chevy will do it when the team gets a deal that makes sense for the Jets now and in the future.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
The dude from Big sugar, he sang the US anthem and played electric guitar, both were bad then just guitar for the Canadian anthem and his guitar play was awful.

It's being recast by some as "he was just doing his thing." Lol...folks, sometimes bad is just bad. He obviously had only run through it a couple times before going out. He lost it at several points...I play guitar myself and am VERY familiar with baffle-fingers :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad