Kyle Dubas or Mark Hunter as next GM?

Should the Leafs next GM be Dubas or Hunter?

• Kyle Dubas

Votes: 91 72.8%
  • Mark Hunter

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
I think Dubas is probably the guy, but what about Yzerman as a dark horse? From Ontario, and spent all those years playing with Shanny in Detroit. I have no idea if he wants to leave Florida (probably not, and his team is awesome) but it's kind of interesting to think about.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think Dubas is probably the guy, but what about Yzerman as a dark horse? From Ontario, and spent all those years playing with Shanny in Detroit. I have no idea if he wants to leave Florida (probably not, and his team is awesome) but it's kind of interesting to think about.
Holland or Jim Nill are more likely than Yzerman. It would be interesting to see a list of ex players/coaches/managers who have ties to Shanahan who are currently in front office roles. I have no doubt they will bring someone in from outside the organization.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Ken Holland will sign here this summer, Lou will spend his last season in an Advisory role

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Holland would be a disaster for the franchise. He'd cripple us like Chia did to Edmonton

I think he's a smart guy and I'm sure he means well but his last bit with the Wings has been awful. With that said, so were Lamoriellos last few years with New Jersey and he adapted pretty well to a rebuild here. I like Hollands philosophy at the draft and has hired some good scouts to make his job easy. Either way, I agree that it wouldn't be a very good move and likely end up really bad.

But like Merzinger said earlier in the thread, you want someone that has been here from the beginning. Going outside of the organization will just reset what was started and that guy will want to make his own moves. It happens all the time and it would likely set us back.

Dubas was here before Hunter and Lamoriello. He's been the best AHL GM by far since taking over the team duties, building a top notch foundation there and found a top notch coach. I like Hunter and obviously wouldn't mind him as a GM but you're then losing your best asset in him because he won't be able to be in the arenas nearly as much.

The people that hate Dubas seem to only have the argument that he's young, which isn't much of an argument.

Reactions: Menzinger

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think he's a smart guy and I'm sure he means well but his last bit with the Wings has been awful. With that said, so were Lamoriellos last few years with New Jersey and he adapted pretty well to a rebuild here.

But like Merzinger said earlier in the thread, you want someone that has been here from the beginning. Going outside of the organization will just reset what was started and that guy will want to make his own moves. It happens all the time.

Dubas was here before Hunter and Lamoriello. He's been the best AHL GM by far since taking over the team duties, building a top notch foundation there and found a top notch coach.

The people that hate Dubas seem to only have the argument that he's young, which isn't much of an argument.
yeah I'd take Dubas honestly. Hunter is great too though. The only outside person I'd want is Yzerman

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
I think he's a smart guy and I'm sure he means well but his last bit with the Wings has been awful. With that said, so were Lamoriellos last few years with New Jersey and he adapted pretty well to a rebuild here. I like Hollands philosophy at the draft and has hired some good scouts to make his job easy. Either way, I agree that it wouldn't be a very good move and likely end up really bad.

But like Merzinger said earlier in the thread, you want someone that has been here from the beginning. Going outside of the organization will just reset what was started and that guy will want to make his own moves. It happens all the time and it would likely set us back.

Dubas was here before Hunter and Lamoriello. He's been the best AHL GM by far since taking over the team duties, building a top notch foundation there and found a top notch coach. I like Hunter and obviously wouldn't mind him as a GM but you're then losing your best asset in him because he won't be able to be in the arenas nearly as much.

What's Dubas ever won? There's my argument. His teams have never won anything. It's all rhetoric about him. A young mans fantasy.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

no one hates Dubas , it just gets tiring listening to people invent fairy tales to prop up his accomplishments , case in point "building a top notch foundation on the Marlies" , wtf does that even mean ? or "he was here before Hunter" like being hired 3 months earlier means anything as to who is more qualified to be our next GM

the Marlies exist as a development tool for the Leafs and the roster is mostly acquired through the draft which is run by Hunter or euro/college ufa's which are also scouted by Hunter and the staff he built with a few vets sprinkled in to help with the development and to provide stability/leadership to the kids

also GM's oversee and approves every move that's made on the farm , AHL gm's are mostly figure heads

and KD only has his supporters for the most part because he's young and they think it'll be "sick" if he was hired as GM

this being said , the way the team is trending the next GM whoever it will be will be set up for success , possibly to the same level Bowman jr was in Chicago

Last edited:
Reactions: Myopic

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Lou isn't going to retire anytime soon...but if he had to unexpectedly step aside, I'd chose Mark Hunter. Dubas hasn't done diddly squat...I still don't get the hype about him.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This is one topic I prefer to keep an open mind about. We simply know too little about these guys to confidently say that they'll be a good GM for us. Dubas has done well with the Marlies though. As for Hunter, I feel like what he's shown and his particular expertise fits better in a support role focused on scouting.

I wouldn't mind having Lou handle the big contracts first though.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
This is one topic I prefer to keep an open mind about. We simply know too little about these guys to confidently say that they'll be a good GM for us. Dubas has done well with the Marlies though. As for Hunter, I feel like what he's shown and his particular expertise fits better in a support role focused on scouting.

what has Dubas done well with the Marlies ?

roster - he doesn't supply the players

contracts - he doesn't negotiate them

coach - yup , he recommended Keefe to be hired

Dubas may be the next great GM but there's nothing that we as fans can definitely point to as to show he's proved to be the best candidate.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I think Yzerman is one of the best GMs in the NHL, but can’t see him wanting to give up what he’s built in Tampa.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Dubas may be the next great GM but there's nothing that we as fans can definitely point to as to show he's proved to be the best candidate.

You couldn't "prove" anyone is the best candidate. I can't even decide who I think is the best candidate, let alone even attempt to prove it. It's a subjective question.

Dubas hasn't won any cups, he must be doing something right to be where he is with the resume he has at such a young age. He's ahead of the curve by decades.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You couldn't "prove" anyone is the best candidate. I can't even decide who I think is the best candidate, let alone even attempt to prove it. It's a subjective question.

Very good point.

As outsiders we have very limited access to information too, impossible for anyone to have any great understanding at present as to whom the best candidate will be. At best we can develop preferences based on a limited amount of details that we have access too

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Dubas hasn't won any cups, he must be doing something right to be where he is with the resume he has at such a young age. He's ahead of the curve by decades.
I agree there's no way to prove anyone is the best candidate but we can try to at least look objectively at the experience they bring without doing back flips to try to juice up past accomplishments to justify the reasons you believe he's the best candidate for the job.

without his families contacts he wouldn't be anywhere and basically we're back to "since he's young and in the position he's in he must be a genius"

also i have no idea what the obsession some have with age , does it really matter how old our next GM is other than not wanting to constantly find a new one every few years because we keep hiring people in their 70's

Last edited:

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I think Hunter has the edge because he is a former player. That gives instant credibility and being an insider of this exclusive club has its advantages. GM's spend a ton of time on the phone building bridges and talking to each other. Having rapport with these career hockey men helps.

"There’s only one GM in the league who came into the position without any significant playing experience or NHL connections at all. But he’s the longest-serving boss of the group: Leafs GM Lou Lamoriello, who came straight from the NCAA way back in 1987."

Do you think Dubas will be the exception to the rule? Working as a GM in the AHL has little value in my opinion. Dubas works in the same city as it's NHL affiliate, so he has Shanny & Lou looking over his shoulder. He doesn't make any meaningful or impactful trades nor does he draft players.

I have a feeling that Hunter will leave the organization if he isn't promoted as the next GM...I highly doubt that he will be satisfied with his current role as their draft guru. Yes Hunter spends a lot of time in rinks but he also has a large network of scouts and insiders across the globe. He can't be everywhere and must rely on other people. When he is sent videos of prospects his gift is in player evaluations or confirming what other scouts are saying. If he is the GM he will still be tightly woven into drafting decisions. If he leaves the organization, ALL is lost.

Here is an interesting article: Did they (GM's) play the game?
Did They Play the Game? Your Ultimate NHL GM Guide

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

I am pretty sure Lou controls 90% of the player management on Marlies. Dubas runs the day to day stuff.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I agree there's no way to prove anyone is the best candidate but we can try to at least look objectively at the experience they bring without doing back flips to try to juice up past accomplishments to justify the reasons you believe he's the best candidate for the job.

without his families contacts he wouldn't be anywhere and basically we're back to "since he's young and in the position he's in he must be a genius"

also i have no idea what the obsession some have with age , does it really matter how old our next GM is other than not wanting to constantly find a new one every few years because we keep hiring people in their 70's

Age aside, you don’t become the assistant GM of an NHL team without having talent.

Dubas may have gotten an advantage at the start of his career - then again, hard to name somebody in hockey management who didn’t benefit from some sort of nepotism in their career.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I am pretty sure Lou controls 90% of the player management on Marlies. Dubas runs the day to day stuff.

And what is this based on? Other than speculation...:

Seems like folks are doing their best to try and descredit Dubas’ accomplishments. The Marlies are one of the best run AHL organizations and what we know is that Dubas runs that team.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
And what is this based on? Other than speculation...:

Seems like folks are doing their best to try and descredit Dubas’ accomplishments. The Marlies are one of the best run AHL organizations and what we know is that Dubas runs that team.

The Marlies are run by the Leafs, its common sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad