Kyle Dubas or Mark Hunter as next GM?

Should the Leafs next GM be Dubas or Hunter?

• Kyle Dubas

Votes: 91 72.8%
  • Mark Hunter

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The results of this poll are staggering. Hunter has a much greater pedigree to qualify him as the next general manager.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I wouldn't be surprised if Lou Lam is given another extension this summer and Shanny lets Lou decide when he would like to step down.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The results of this poll are staggering. Hunter has a much greater pedigree to qualify him as the next general manager.

Results are skewed, poll should have an Other option. IMO, that would be the leader
I wouldn't be surprised if Lou Lam is given another extension this summer and Shanny lets Lou decide when he would like to step down.

I'd agree that a Lou Lam extension is far more likely than one of these two taking over.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Funny reading people trying to grasp at straws to say Dubas has such a huge hand with the Marlies. If you're on the side, just ask whether Dubas acquired the majority of the difference makers on that team or did they come from Maple Leafs transactions (ie trade, draft, FA).

Beyond that, the team has been just as good under him as it was under the last regime, if not slightly worse. Previous regime got us to a CC Final and a semi, Dubas hasn't got to the finals. So it's not like Marlies success is a new thing here.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

I am pretty sure Lou stays as long as he wants, I wouldn't feel comfortable with Dubas being in charge of the Leafs roster/prospect management, but i like Dubas in the org.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

Hopefully not, his one year rebuild is a failure, I can see our Picks being auctioned off for an ill fated run for the Cup by Lou and Babs. Successful teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh had multiple years of rebuilding before several Cup runs.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
We still don't have a confessor to the 2 time Stanley cup star Kessel debacle. Lou saves that horrible trade by getting Andersen. Dubas will get mangled on the trades, unless he does none.
The analytics on that trade reek to the heavens. I mean the corsi just sucks!!! Dubas age divided by the number of bad trades equals zero. Yzerman is the guy.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Hopefully not, his one year rebuild is a failure, I can see our Picks being auctioned off for an ill fated run for the Cup by Lou and Babs. Successful teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh had multiple years of rebuilding before several Cup runs.

giphy.gif

mrw_i_get_accused_of_hating_my_family_for_making

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Hunter is the assistant GM of the Leafs by the way and he will not stay as a part of the Leafs under Dubas and as I see Hunter as far more valuable to the Leafs ...Hunter is a far better choice. His contacts in the hockey world is far greater then Dubas as well as his ability to run a successful organization something Dubas has not yet done.

Source?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Sounds about right. Not exactly (Lou doesn't quite get to decide when) but something like this.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Listening to Mirtle and Jonas Siegel, that seems like it will happen.

Lou is not a guy whose going to want to give up control - pretty much why he was forced out by Devils ownership from his previous gig.

Still, Shanahan has quite the quandary on his hands. His respect for Lou vs the fact that he’s got internal guys wanting promotions and that other teams have already been circling to try and poach them (he the Avs trying to interview Dubas).

Will be very interesting to see what happens this summer. I won’t be surprised to hear Lou get a 1 year extension though. Gives Shanahan another year to make up his mind.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Kadri 7th overall, Rielly 5th overall, Nylander #8OA, Marner #4OA, Matthews #1OA, & Liljegren that's 5 X top 10 picks & Lil who was once ranked as one.

Rebuild is over, and now we're in the winning stage and developing on the fly.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I saw what Hunter/Dubas did with the Kessel trade as acting GMs at the time and also their 1st entry draft filling the prospect pool with smurfs that Babcock has little use for.

Shanny also saw and evaluated Kyle and Mark and shortly after Lou Lam arrived.

I'd hate to think what the cap hit and salaries of the 3 Amigo's would look like if Shanny turned the reigns over to either of these greenhorns.

Lets stay the course and let Mark Hunter scout and Dubas play with Corsi stats and Lou Lam handle the heavy lifting.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Prefer Hunter, don't really care for Dubas, but if the organization wants to find someone externally, I'm good with that. But for me, Lamouriello can and should hold the job as long as he wants.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I think LL will get extended. Just dont go for the quick fix and trade picks LL, we are not quite there yet. And I kinda like his mobster walk up to the big stage on draft day!

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I saw what Hunter/Dubas did with the Kessel trade as acting GMs at the time and also their 1st entry draft filling the prospect pool with smurfs that Babcock has little use for.

Shanny also saw and evaluated Kyle and Mark and shortly after Lou Lam arrived.

So why did Shanny refuse to let Dubas go to Colorado and run the show.

I'd hate to think what the cap hit and salaries of the 3 Amigo's would look like if Shanny turned the reigns over to either of these greenhorns.

Lets stay the course and let Mark Hunter scout and Dubas play with Corsi stats and Lou Lam handle the heavy lifting.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
One of the things Shanny liked about Lou was that he wasn't looking for a 6 year deal at the time of hiring. If they do extend him, I can see it being for 1 year with the acknowledgement Dubas would take over after that.

Klinton

Feb 6, 2017
The next GM will be lou. Can we stop being stupid and posting the same questions and polls. Do you folks have nothing better to talk about? You're kinda getting really lame.. seriously lame like the Toronto Media asking the same questions over and over again!

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The next GM will be lou. Can we stop being stupid and posting the same questions and polls. Do you folks have nothing better to talk about? You're kinda getting really lame.. seriously lame like the Toronto Media asking the same questions over and over again!
It's an old thread that was bumped.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I forgot to mention this because it's a name my Dad brought up. What if Shanahan was considering Ken Holland? Now I personally can't see that happening and given the choice I rather see Lou remain as the GM. Now that's assuming Holland does not go back to Detroit, however he does have history with Shanahan just like he did with Lou and when Lou got hired it was something no one expected to ever see happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad