Kyle Dubas or Mark Hunter as next GM?

Should the Leafs next GM be Dubas or Hunter?

• Kyle Dubas

Votes: 91 72.8%
  • Mark Hunter

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
Why do guys think that Lou is a good GM? Name one thing that he did that really stood out as a huge positive? Signing a 40 year Marleau for 3 years 6.5 mill per? or trading for washed up Plackanec and giving away 2nd rounder? He is a dinosaur GM that believes in stupid superstitious like no one on the team allowed to wear high jersey numbers etc. It just a matter of time these dinosaur type GMs and coaches go extinct, and thats a huge positive for the league as a whole.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Why do guys think that Lou is a good GM? Name one thing that he did that really stood out as a huge positive? Signing a 40 year Marleau for 3 years 6.5 mill per? or trading for washed up Plackanec and giving away 2nd rounder? He is a dinosaur GM that believes in stupid superstitious like no one on the team allowed to wear high jersey numbers etc. It just a matter of time these dinosaur type GMs and coaches go extinct, and thats a huge positive for the league as a whole.
I'll bite

Kadri extension
Rielly extension
Phaneuf trade
Andersen trade
Winnick trade (Carrick and a 2nd)
Polak trade (2 2nds)
Marleau will be gone after 1 more year with no cap hit
McBackup claim

Edit: I forgot the Hainsey UFA, we badly needed that.

Last edited:

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I'll bite

Kadri extension
Rielly extension
Phaneuf trade
Andersen trade
Winnick trade (Carrick and a 2nd)
Polak trade (2 2nds)
Marleau will be gone after 1 more year with no cap hit

I'm happy with Lou's work overall, especially the Kadri, Rielly, and Andersen contracts. Those are 3 core players signed to amazing deals.

The Plekanec deal is looking bad though.

Wonder if LL's successor will lift the facial hair policy?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
  1. I'd prefer they re-sign Lou for 1-2 years, he's done a really good job thus far.
  2. Let Dubas continue to learn and get better in the background.
  3. Let Hunter continue doing his thing with scouting + assistant GM duties.
  4. Once Lou's next contract is up they can make a decision whether they want Dubas or Hunter running for GM.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Mark Hunter's true passion really seems to be scouting. I think he loves the ability to go to any rink (on the Leafs dime) and watch kids and find those hidden gems and come up with his own prospect rankings while hiring additional scouts he trusts and shoot the breeze to discuss/argue about the kids. I think his preference would be to stay a head scout and frankly I would keep him as that as he has an incredible track record, while giving him more responsibilities then your typical head scout (hence the Assistant GM role). Ideally, I would love for Lou to stay on for another 2 years and then promote Kyle, while keeping Mark in his role. But should Mark WANT the role of GM, I would say give it to him as I think he and his eye is incredibly valuable to our club.

Reactions: RedRenegade

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
They're clearly grooming Dubas to be the next GM. Hunter loves his current role and is getting paid well to do it. Dubas has been running the Marlies and Lou was brought in to mentor him and probably give him some tips and tricks because the mans been around longer than Dubas has been alive.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I'm happy with Lou's work overall, especially the Kadri, Rielly, and Andersen contracts. Those are 3 core players signed to amazing deals.

The Plekanec deal is looking bad though.

Wonder if LL's successor will lift the facial hair policy?

The Plekanec deal was a playoff move. We will be counting our blessings when we don't have Moore/Gauthier as the 4th line center in the playoffs against TB/Boston.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
To be fair, both of them were very inexperienced when that move was made.

may be I should have been clearer. I assume it was a team decision to retain on kessel for 8 years.

However, someone may have first thought of it as a good idea (hunter or dubas) whoever it was - if they thought it was a good idea; before giving the reigns of the team to them; I would like Shanny and Lou to really to all the cross examinations.

No one ruins the team as much as a GM. General Manager should be level headed, patient and cunning and leave emotions out the door. More importantly GM should have a great foresight and should not think short-term

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I understand there are those that love the idea of the young, educated, analytics guru taking over the club, but I'm not convinced that the most valuable sports franchise in the country, that has just turned a corner after years of ineptitude, should be turned over to a first time GM.

It somewhat reminds me of the Eakins situation of a few years ago.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I understand there are those that love the idea of the young, educated, analytics guru taking over the club, but I'm not convinced that the most valuable sports franchise in the country, that has just turned a corner after years of ineptitude, should be turned over to a first time GM.

This is my sentiment. Let him make his rookie mistakes elsewhere and then he can return at a later date when he's more seasoned.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I guess the argument would be that they turned over the franchise to someone who had zero front office experience as president but look at where we are.

honestly. i would be happy to take the risk to let Dubas walk, if Fenton was willing to take the job because he worked in tandem with Poile. it might not work out and i could be being anxious for nothing re: Dubas, but i'm willing to accept that and take that chance.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I have 100% faith that Shanny makes the right call.

If I was forced to guess..Lou gets extended 1 year and Dubas gets named (internally) as the official apprentice.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I forgot to mention this because it's a name my Dad brought up. What if Shanahan was considering Ken Holland? Now I personally can't see that happening and given the choice I rather see Lou remain as the GM. Now that's assuming Holland does not go back to Detroit, however he does have history with Shanahan just like he did with Lou and when Lou got hired it was something no one expected to ever see happen.

Eh, I’m not exactly a huge fan of what he’s done in Detroit the last few years.

I’d say the smart bet at the moment is Lou is given a “quite” extension this offseason and Shanahan gets another year to decide who he wants to go with.

HOWEVER there also may be a few GMs getting fired which means other ownerships may start calling about Dubas or Hunter which may force Shanahan to make a transition decision.

Going to be an interesting offseason for the Leafs to say the least:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Eh, I’m not exactly a huge fan of what he’s done in Detroit the last few years.

I’d say the smart bet at the moment is Lou is given a “quite” extension this offseason and Shanahan gets another year to decide who he wants to go with.

HOWEVER there also may be a few GMs getting fired which means other ownerships may start calling about Dubas or Hunter which may force Shanahan to make a transition decision.

Going to be an interesting offseason for the Leafs to say the least:

do you mean quiet?
(I don't mean to spell check you i just wanted to make sure that's what you meant)

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If it is between Hunter or Dubas and we choose Dubas we loose Hunter and he is a far better choice.

I say Lou stay for another year and Hunter takes over and Dubas goes where ever. Hunter is connected to the NHL and Dubas is not.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Hunter will stay the assistant gm. he prefers the scouting and developmental stage of the job far more then the politics and trades. If dubas wants the job he will continue to apprentice under lou for as long lou sticks around. . as a young guy making your mark in a industry its extremely naive to move away from one of the if not the most informative Gm of all time. the guy helped write the current cba. he knows pretty much every loophole there is in it. you would be down right stupid not to learn as much as you possible could before he eventually retires. expecially with a potential new cba in the works down the road

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Pray that it turns out as Dubas (GM) and Hunter (Head Scout & A. GM) with both being happy with it

Would be a happy Leafs fan if they just did a press conference for both guys and gave them both some novel title, like executive chair of hockey operations- with varying degrees of autonomy for both.

Call it the new-age management style, I'm sure a lot of teams work as a collective in the front-office as is, but 1 guy gets the credit too much.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
The case for Dubas vs Hunter should be made. If it can't be made, Hunter seems to have the clear edge. Dubas is young. Very young by NHL measure. Would it be unbecoming if he were promoted to the Asst. GM position with Hunter as GM in the event Lou and Shanahan decide a change is needed?

Seems the right move is Hunter to GM, Dubas to Asst. GM. And when the time comes that Dubas is due another promotion, Hunter could easily continue on as Director of Scouting (Pro-Am)...I'd like to think there's going to be a lot less power-grabbing now that the culture seems focused on the club and not the personal portfolio of any one employee over the club's best interest.

If it means losing one of Dubas or Hunter...Well, it seems Hunter has had the greater positive effect on our big club. Logic inference would be to keep Hunter wouldn't it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad