Kyle Dubas or Mark Hunter as next GM?

Should the Leafs next GM be Dubas or Hunter?

• Kyle Dubas

Votes: 91 72.8%
  • Mark Hunter

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
If 75 year old Lou Lamoriello retires, who is your preference to take over as GM of the Leafs? Why? I assume that the choice will be between Hunter or Dubas.

The Leafs apparently value Dubas and won't allow him to interview for other GM jobs. They just promoted Mark Hunter to the position of assistant GM. It's just a title but I think they did that to keep Hunter happy.

Hunter is a valuable asset in terms of evaluating talent and drafting future prospects. Will he get angry and leave the Leafs if they give Dubas the promotion over him? Yes, he would have a new role but I suspect that Hunter would still have a huge input in the draft.

Yes, Dubas appears to be a smart young executive, and is a pro analytics guy, but my choice would be to promote Hunter.

What say you?

Last edited:

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
Backward thinking is so endemic in hockey, I'd really like to hang onto Dubas and flex our financial muscle to try and always be a step or two ahead of other teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsBoyo

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Mirtle and others have said hunter's comfortable in his current role.

Before last summer's dubas extension I would've said hunter, but I think it'll be dubas since he already turned down one nhl GM job.

Reactions: Menzinger

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Backward thinking is so endemic in hockey, I'd really like to hang onto Dubas and flex our financial muscle to try and always be a step or two ahead of other teams.

That's the thing. Dubas could be the next Theo Epstein type leader. On the other hand, procuring talent trumps everything else and Hunter is one of the best.

Reactions: francis246

airgordo

Feb 4, 2015
I think Lou will be GM until Tampa Bay's window closes. Then Shannahan poaches Yzerman.

Dubas does not have the experience to be Toronto's GM. Why would they take the risk when they can pay an experienced GM to do the job.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I think Lou will be GM until Tampa Bay's window closes. Then Shannahan poaches Yzerman.

Dubas does not have the experience to be Toronto's GM. Why would they take the risk when they can pay an experienced GM to do the job.

Lou could very well retire after this season. He'll be 76 next year. I could see him coming back for another year because he's still mentally sharp. Tampa's window is probably 5-6 more years. There's no way that Dubas would stick around that long and you are not certain that Yzerman would even take the Toronto job. Living in Florida is a nice Gig and he has no pressure from the media.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hunter. But, I think Shanahan wants Lou to stay another year to keep the peace.

I believe Hunter is more than capable of finding analytics guys to work with when Dubas moves on, over the scouts we will lose if Dubas is chosen over Mark. From everything I've heard, Mark has strong backing under him, that makes Shanahan very reluctant to go with Dubas over him. Hunter seems to be the guys of the scouts and the coaching staff.

Reactions: francis246

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I have a feeling Lou will come back for at least another season and rightly so. He's still as good as ever.

Not really comfortable with Dubas/Hunter in the GM position. You'd like to have someone with more of a proven record in this market.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Backward thinking is so endemic in hockey, I'd really like to hang onto Dubas and flex our financial muscle to try and always be a step or two ahead of other teams. I shudder to think what kind of direction letting him walk might indicate for our future.

I really like Dubas’ view of the game and also hope they hang onto him.

The thing is whomever replaces Lou (at least in terms of the title) isn’t going to be a GM like on other teams. Shanahan still has final say, you’ve got the highest paid coach in the NHL with Babcock.whomever gets he position is just being part of a group dynamic rather than running everything.

If I were to make a prediction, Dubas likely gets the title and an expanded role/say on the Leafs and Hunter remains king of his scouting kingdom.

Listening to Mirtle in interviews, he seems to think Dubas likely has the inside track because of his closeness to Shanahan. But at this point who knows what’ll happen

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I really like Dubas’ view of the game and also hope they hang onto him.

The thing is whomever replaces Lou (at least in terms of the title) isn’t going to be a GM like on other teams. Shanahan still has final say, you’ve got the highest paid coach in the NHL with Babcock.whomever gets he position is just being part of a group dynamic rather than running everything.

If I were to make a prediction, Dubas likely gets the title and an expanded role/say on the Leafs and Hunter remains king of his scouting kingdom.

Listening to Mirtle in interviews, he seems to think Dubas likely has the inside track because of his closeness to Shanahan. But at this point who knows what’ll happen
I think Mirtle pumping Dubas is more because Dubas is one of his guys. Its why guys like Bobby Mac always pump the tires of Mike Futa (because Futa is a source).

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think it will be a third party. But if I had to chose between the two I'd pick hunter. He's more respected and can create a culture for retaining/acquiring players. Also i don't want our team to be put together purely based on analytics. Also, I'm not entirely convinced Dubas or Hunter wants to be the Toronto Maple Leafs GM.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It'll probably be Hunter...but that means we need somebody to replace Hunter.

I think our drafts and system is more important than Hunter being the GM though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think it will be a third party. But if I had to chose between the two I'd pick hunter. He's more respected and can create a culture for retaining/acquiring players. Also i don't want our team to be put together purely based on analytics. Also, I'm not entirely convinced Dubas or Hunter wants to be the Toronto Maple Leafs GM.
Both want it, and whoever doesn't get it will be gone.

Reactions: hotpaws

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It'll probably be Hunter...but that means we need somebody to replace Hunter.

I think our drafts and system is more important than Hunter being the GM though.
Hunter will be replaced internally. Hoffard probably killed his chance at that. My guess is either Lilley or Speltz. If I had to bet, I'd bet on Speltz, who was a very long-tenured WHL GM before Mark brought him in.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Seems like everyone pushes Mirtles opinion as fact and gold in this group lol
Mirtle is our best on the ground reported. Not that I think what he says is gospel. But, people are more willing to hear him out than Simmons. I do think Simmons is an idiot, but he was in on the Dubas story about a fracture in our management team.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Mirtle is our best on the ground reported. Not that I think what he says is gospel. But, people are more willing to hear him out than Simmons. I do think Simmons is an idiot, but he was in on the Dubas story about a fracture in our management team.

Simmons considers himself a opinion writer, I dont mind him.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm potentially fine with either, or even someone else. Beyond the few moves they made in their short time as interim GMs, there's not really enough for me to properly evaluate them on. Not sure in which direction we'll ultimately go, but glad things are going well for the time being with Lou at the helm and we aren't contemplating a change for any necessary and immediate reason.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I have a feeling Lou will come back for at least another season and rightly so. He's still as good as ever.

Not really comfortable with Dubas/Hunter in the GM position. You'd like to have someone with more of a proven record in this market.

Good in what sense exactly? I haven't seen any moves or signings that makes me think he's so great to be perfectly honest.

He's made good moves but hardly anything I'd call earth shattering.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Dubas should be the guy. Forward thinking about his methods and says all the right things. I'm sure Hunter is capable but I think his strong suit of being a head scout is so much better for him to compliment a GM. He definitely won't have as much time to scout and be in arenas as much if he's in charge of hockey operations essentially.

I don't know what is said or done in the background, and nobody really does, so it's hard to really know who exactly drives the ship.

Either way, we'll be in good hands. I don't think there's a wrong answer per say.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Seems like we had this discussion not long ago.
Change isn't imminent, IMO.
When it eventually happens, Babcock will have a big say in who it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad