Kyle Dubas or Mark Hunter as next GM?

Should the Leafs next GM be Dubas or Hunter?

• Kyle Dubas

Votes: 91 72.8%
  • Mark Hunter

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Mark Hunter is an elite scout of talent, let him do his job. He's not a GM.

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
Lou said back in 2015 about Dubas: "If he doesn't become general manager here — I'm not going to be here forever — it's his fault." In all likelihood Dubas is going to be the Leafs GM for a long time.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Lou said back in 2015 about Dubas: "If he doesn't become general manager here — I'm not going to be here forever — it's his fault." In all likelihood Dubas is going to be the Leafs GM for a long time.
I remember that and everyone took it to mean that Dubas was the net GM in waiting.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
  1. I'd prefer they re-sign Lou for 1-2 years, he's done a really good job thus far.
  2. Let Dubas continue to learn and get better in the background.
  3. Let Hunter continue doing his thing with scouting + assistant GM duties.
  4. Once Lou's next contract is up they can make a decision whether they want Dubas or Hunter running for GM.

Question. You say you want Dubas to learn and get better in the background. What exactly lead you to that idea? We don't really know how good or bad Dubas is as a GM. We do know Lou is 75 though.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Question. You say you want Dubas to learn and get better in the background. What exactly lead you to that idea? We don't really know how good or bad Dubas is as a GM. We do know Lou is 75 though.
Dubas is a very smart, young man who has a great mind for the game. He's been a NON-NHL GM for a lot of years, personally I don't know if he would be able to do it but I do get the sense the front office all challenge each other to be the best they can be to make us as competitive a team as can be. Don't forget, it's not only Dubas, Mark Hunter is a possibility too.

I saw a video of Babcock doing a conference praising Dubas - mentioned he's beyond his years when it comes to understanding today's game, the insights and questions he asks Babcock blow him away, has made Babcock adapt to different ways and think differently at times.

Shanahan hasn't deviated from the plan one bit, and he won't change now. If he feels the team would most benefit with Lou at the helm for another year or two then his age has nothing to do with his ability.

Either way, if Lou is not back next year chances are Shanahan believes Hunter/Dubas are ready to take the reigns.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Dubas is a very smart, young man who has a great mind for the game. He's been a NON-NHL GM for a lot of years, personally I don't know if he would be able to do it but I do get the sense the front office all challenge each other to be the best they can be to make us as competitive a team as can be. Don't forget, it's not only Dubas, Mark Hunter is a possibility too.

I saw a video of Babcock doing a conference praising Dubas - mentioned he's beyond his years when it comes to understanding today's game, the insights and questions he asks Babcock blow him away, has made Babcock adapt to different ways and think differently at times.

Shanahan hasn't deviated from the plan one bit, and he won't change now. If he feels the team would most benefit with Lou at the helm for another year or two then his age has nothing to do with his ability.

Either way, if Lou is not back next year chances are Shanahan believes Hunter/Dubas are ready to take the reigns.
Chances are this won't happen but what if Dubas and Hunter were named Co-GM's? Dallas once did that with Brett Hull and Les Jackson so it's been done before.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Chances are this won't happen but what if Dubas and Hunter were named Co-GM's? Dallas once did that with Brett Hull and Les Jackson so it's been done before.
lol yea unlikely, but selfishly I'd be cool with that IF that was the only way to keep them both with the organization for the foreseeable future.

I know they can both end up staying on regardless of what happens - if one becomes GM (Dubas) and the other stays in scouting (Hunter) for example.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Gimme Dubas. Teams that sustain success are innovators. I have more faith in Dubas to drive that than I do Hunter. Plus, for the specific job of NHL GM, I think Dubas is better qualified.

why?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hunter is best suited during the draft, and that should what he shold focus on.
Dubas is already the Marlies GM and has experience with the every day duties plus has been learning on the fly from Lou. Its not hard to understand that Dubas is the best fit as GM.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hard to say here.

I guess Mark Hunter is a super scout and development guy, but when you take someone with those strengths and you put him into your GM role, all of a sudden he isn't scouting so much and isn't on the development side. So the question is what kind of GM are you going to get and are you downgrading certain organizational strengths?

In terms of Dubas, he might be one of the brightest minds in the game. But he's also still a very young man in an old boys club. Does he have sufficient "intangibles" to handle himself in the GM corners? Just like the Leafs may or may not be a young team ready to win, questions remain how he'll handle himself among the other 30 GM's. But I'm sure the Leafs would have a good grasp internally.

Another GM: unless it's Steve Yzerman, I don't know if you want an outsider working on this program. Seems pretty good and figured out.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Somewhat off topic but look at this comparison..what a turn around.

2010-11 Maple Leafs :

Kulemin-Bozak-Kessel
MacArthur-Grabovski-Versteeg
Sjostrom-Kadri-Armstrong
Caputi-Brent-Brown(mike)
Rosehill, Hanson, Orr

Kaberle-Phaneuf
Beauchemin-Komisarek
Gunnarsson-Schenn
Finger, Lebda

Giguere
Gustavsson