Here's a good one- Does Sergei Bobrovsky get into the Hall of Fame?

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Trying to look at it objectively. He's played 14 seasons and has:

• Without going year by year and comparing him to the rest of the league, I'd say he has what are probably...
    • 4 really good years
    • 5 average to above average years
    • 2 below average years
    • 3 bad years
  • He has 2 Vezina's.
  • He is 14th all-time in regular season wins, just 4 shy of 400
  • He's been a 1st team all-star just once
  • Has not yet won a Cup
Yeah, I think he should be in the HHoF. I think it's close, but his career has been very good, he ranks highly all-time in wins, and has hardware. There have been worse goalies, never mind players, entered into the HHoF.
Well put. When you lay it out like that, it’s a hall of fame resume. People are used to the slow development of goalies with a quick exit when they leave their prime, whereas BOB was good right away and then had a mid career slump that left some feeling jaded.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
2 Vezina Trophies
2 NHL First All Star
World Championship Gold Medal
World Championship Best Goaltender
Won the Columbus Blue Jackets their first ever series with a dominant sweep over Presidents Trophy winning Tampa Bay Lightning

He is currently 34 and just took the Panthers to game 6 against the record setting Bruins. But for years now has been severely overpaid and barely considered a starter.

Does he get into the Hall?
Remove all international awards and all star things. They only count as sugar. He is close. The Vezinas and wins will be the first things that get looked atv

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
As much as I don't think it should be, it becomes a major ordeal anytime it's brought up.

You'd think so, but anytime it's brought up there's a lot of vitriol lol.
No vitriol. It’s ok if MAF gets in. I just think his case is weaker than other goalies, including Bobrovsky. People were calling him an unquestioned lock before he even got a Vezina nomination (which he now has 1 - and he got the win, so good for him). People credit him for his Olympic gold - he didn’t touch the ice in that tournament. They credit 3 Cups. He played 1.5 of those tournaments. They credit his wins - he’s played on great teams. And the win tally for every goalie after they did away with ties is skewed. I believe he has one end of season second team all star credit.

MAF seems like a fun guy. I liked his stint with Vegas in particular. But I see no case for him over Price, Bobrovsky, Thomas, Kipper, Rinne, etc.

EDIT: seeing thread was started a year and a day ago, not a day ago. Oh well.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
No vitriol. It’s ok if MAF gets in. I just think his case is weaker than other goalies, including Bobrovsky. People were calling him an unquestioned lock before he even got a Vezina nomination (which he now has 1 - and he got the win, so good for him). People credit him for his Olympic gold - he didn’t touch the ice in that tournament. They credit 3 Cups. He played 1.5 of those tournaments. They credit his wins - he’s played on great teams. And the win tally for every goalie after they did away with ties is skewed. I believe he has one end of season second team all star credit.

MAF seems like a fun guy. I liked his stint with Vegas in particular. But I see no case for him over Price, Bobrovsky, Thomas, Kipper, Rinne, etc.
Maybe not from you, but some people foam at the mouth when it's brought up about MAF going into the Hall.

One can discredit each of his achievements individually with nit-picks, but when you look at the entire body of work I'm not sure how anyone can say he's not a 1st ballot lock.

It seems almost disingenuous to put Rinne's and especially Kiprusoff's careers over Fleury.

Reactions: Doctor Coffin

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe not from you, but some people foam at the mouth when it's brought up about MAF going into the Hall.

One can discredit each of his achievements individually with nit-picks, but when you look at the entire body of work I'm not sure how anyone can say he's not a 1st ballot lock.

It seems almost disingenuous to put Rinne's and especially Kiprusoff's careers over Fleury.
Rinne had four Vezina nominations, including a win, plus a first and a second team all star. That is better performance at the same position. MAF outperforms him with longevity. And Kiprusoff had 3 Vezina noms (including a win), a first and second team all star, and played something like 7 consecutive seasons of 70+ games. People sleep on him - he was a beast and this is a Canucks fan saying he gets underrated like crazy. Not sure how any of this is disingenuous

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Rinne had four Vezina nominations, including a win, plus a first and a second team all star. That is better performance at the same position. MAF outperforms him with longevity. And Kiprusoff had 3 Vezina noms (including a win), a first and second team all star, and played something like 7 consecutive seasons of 70+ games. People sleep on him - he was a beast and this is a Canucks fan saying he gets underrated like crazy. Not sure how any of this is disingenuous
If the only criteria were Vezina nominations and all-team selections maybe I'd agree. If you wanna put a lot of stock into those Fleury was the first-team all decade goalie for the 2010's, which I'd say holds quite a bit of significance over the yearly awards.

Neither of the other two have 3 cups, or are #2 in wins. They also played mostly without ties, so there's no major skewing in win totals among them. You can say that Fleury played on better teams, but he was also a significant part in making those teams pretty good performers.

Kiprusoff had the same career save% while Fleury played 400 more regular season games. Fleury's playoff resume absolutely dwarfs Kipper. Fleury has almost as many wins as Kiprusoff has career games played lol.

Their entire bodies of work aren't even comparable, IMO.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
If the only criteria were Vezina nominations and all-team selections maybe I'd agree. If you wanna put a lot of stock into those Fleury was the first-team all decade goalie for the 2010's, which I'd say holds quite a bit of significance over the yearly awards.

Neither of the other two have 3 cups, or are #2 in wins. They also played mostly without ties, so there's no major skewing in win totals among them. You can say that Fleury played on better teams, but he was also a significant part in making those teams pretty good performers.

Kiprusoff had the same career save% while Fleury played 400 more regular season games. Fleury's playoff resume absolutely dwarfs Kipper. Fleury has almost as many wins as Kiprusoff has career games played lol.

Their entire bodies of work aren't even comparable, IMO.
Appreciate the constructive back and forth. For every person who dumps on MAF, there’s also someone who touts things like the Olympic gold as part of his resume. All of which makes the discussion tough to have. On balance, I see a place for him in the HOF. I just think some other goalies also deserve recognition there too - but might not get it. I do suspect MAF gets in ahead of a lot of them though - including Bobrovsky, quite possibly.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well put. When you lay it out like that, it’s a hall of fame resume. People are used to the slow development of goalies with a quick exit when they leave their prime, whereas BOB was good right away and then had a mid career slump that left some feeling jaded.
He was just nominated as a Vezina finalist and a strong playoffs will probably push him in as long as he plays well for another couple of years but he is kind of borderline right now IMO and the story is still being written.

My bet is that he write the HHOF story.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Appreciate the constructive back and forth. For every person who dumps on MAF, there’s also someone who touts things like the Olympic gold as part of his resume. All of which makes the discussion tough to have. On balance, I see a place for him in the HOF. I just think some other goalies also deserve recognition there too - but might not get it. I do suspect MAF gets in ahead of a lot of them though - including Bobrovsky, quite possibly.
Same back to you, pal. Constructive discussion isn't always easy to come by around here.

I was highly critical of MAF's time here in Pittsburgh, he was rarely among the best goalies in the league during his time, and choked in some really inopportune moments... but his longevity and body of work are too rich not to get him in on the 1st ballot.

As for the topic, I think Bobrovsky absolutely should go in, and I think (and hope) that he will get recognized for his career with a place in the Hall.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I'd say no before Vernon got in. But the standard got lowered, so I'll say yes he'll get in.

Vernon's career GSAA is in the negative (-34.5, compared to Bobrovsky's +88.1). He's had many bad years and just a few good ones.

What stands out about him are the two Stanley Cup-winning appearances where he was the starting goalie and he was great.

I find it hard to compare him to Bobrovsky. Great playoff resume. Much worse regular season resume.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Sergei was announced as a finalist for the Vezina for the third time today... matching the mark of Roberto Luongo.

Only difference is Sergei has won the award now, twice.

Not saying he is a better goalie than Luongo but I am now finding it hard to argue against him going in the hall... especially as it appears he is about to go on another long playoff run

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Not a doubt in my mind.

IMO he is in the top group of post-lockout goalies with Hank, Price, Vasi, and Luongo (I am guessing he will be 4th in that group when all is said and done). Will probably be 2nd behind MAF in wins when he retires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad