Kyle Dubas or Mark Hunter as next GM?

Should the Leafs next GM be Dubas or Hunter?

• Kyle Dubas

Votes: 91 72.8%
  • Mark Hunter

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
I don't think Dubas likes to considered an analitics guy, which is a wise move.
Yea but he prefers a puck possession style team and will try to build his team around players who play like that. However, Babcock prefers grinders and dumping and chasing. The exact opposite. I mean do you think Dubas would have given Martin $2.5 or resigned Polak.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Yea but he prefers a puck possession style team and will try to build his team around players who play like that. However, Babcock prefers grinders and dumping and chasing. The exact opposite. I mean do you think Dubas would have given Martin $2.5 or resigned Polak.

When teams try and restrict zone entries as game plan against the Leafs, you have to dump it in. You think Marner,Willie, Matthews want to dump the puck in?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Dubas as Leafs GM, Hunter as Marlies GM (A. GM) & Head scout. Pyramid starts with Shanahan at the top, Dubas/Hunter/Babcock on tier 2.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I must have missed where Babcock was the GM and signed these players.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
When teams try and restrict zone entries as game plan against the Leafs, you have to dump it in. You think Marner,Willie, Matthews want to dump the puck in?
That's exactly right. Teams know that the Leafs strength is having a ton of skill including puck possession. They'd rather clog the middle and stack the blueline and force them to dump it in. They know that the Leafs are on the small side and it is to their advantage grinding it out against the walls. Babcock is taking what the defense is giving. The problem is that the Leafs are not beating teams to the puck after they dump it in or losing the puck as soon as they get it. The result has been dreadfully boring games of late.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not Dubas, I don't want somebody that is my age running this team, I want somebody with experience, I say let Lou do it as long as he wants, he is doing great, when he leaves I want an elite GM running this team, the Toronto Maple Leafs are one of the richest teams in the NHL and should have the best of the bet running the team.

They have an elite GM right now, they have an elite coach, they have an elite scout in hunter, they have Jacques Lemaire just because they can.

Why have all that talent and then not get the best GM possible, why replace Lou with a rookie? and yes Doubas is a rookie at least an NHL rookie

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
yup , that's why he was given credit for the deals to acquire Maricin and Morin

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You know Hunter owned/GM'd the London knights for over 10 years, coached in the OHL, AHL and played over 600 NHL games.

I think Dubas GM'd 2 - 3 seasons in the OHL?

I did know that. GM'ing an OHL team is vastly different if you weren't aware with a scouting pool vastly smaller and a completely different philosophy.

Playing time has no relevance.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kadri and Rielly extensions look fantastic.

Phaneuf trade.

The general approach he takes to managing the team is solid too. It's far better than the Nonis/Burke era.

I didn't say he didn't do anything. I like him so much better than anything we've had before him and he's had a solid tenure so far. Still nothing that great in terms of trades or additions.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Fair enough, though I'd say drafting is more important than it's ever been, so there's not as much to do particularly UFA wise, but also even from a (major) trading perspective. He also hasn't been in the role for all that long. Helps too that he apparently hasn't done anything outright bad. Can better evaluate with more time, I guess.

Agreed.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If I had to guess I would say Dubas. Lou already said it is his job to lose and he is grooming him for it. Add to that Hunter seems to love scouting first and foremost while Dubas is actually running a team and is more directly plugged into the league on a day by day basis.

I'm pretty sure Liu is our GM until his health will prevent it and then he will have some sort of support position. Of course it's hard to guess these things not knowing what the dynamic is like now behind closed doors, how much do Hunter and Dubas contribute now in terms of "we should get this guy" "we can't trade this guy" etc.

There are no guarantees in pro sports and it is entirely possible the guy with the best resume is brought in instead, lots of GM's are assistants for years and years before getting their big shot and we are not the average franchise, this is a serious pressure market. There is no easy answer because it all depends on many unknown factors.

How long does Lou stay? The longer he does the more it favours an internal option.

Who else is available at that time?

What is the state of the Team?

What is Shanny's relationship like with our two inside candidates?

Tough call. I'm in no hurry to find out, I think Lou is the right guy for right now. A lesser Gm might be more prone to make panic moves or trade the future for today, Lou is not worried about his job.

Fun topic though. I'd rather discuss this than how awful our back up or #6/7 defensemen are or how such and such hates Hyman.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There isn’t a single team in the league that’s being based solely on analytics, Dubas himself has said you can’t only rely on that - so folks shouldn’t be afraid of a GM who also happens to like using stats as part of his job. Guys like him just also accept the fact you likely can’t ignore them in the modern NHL.

But surprised at how many folks are interested in a third party. Those don’t always work out - Burke was viewed as the top hockey GM in the world when he signed with the Leafs. What will be important is getting somebody who understands how the group dynamic works in Toronto.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Interestingly Lou’s contract is up this summer but everything you hear suggests he has no interest in moving on.

Which puts Shanahan in an interesting position - does he risk alienating Hunter/Dubas by not promoting them? Also curious to know if Shanahan made any assurances to Dubas when he signed him to a new contract last year.

Either way we’ll find out more this summer.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Lou is a master of convincing players and their managers that they are worth much less money than they think that they are. That is one of a GM's most important roles. Balancing the budget. How is a kid like Dubas gonna convince the other kids like Marner, Nylander etc. to sign for a good deal for the club. Not a hope in hell that he becomes the new GM for another 20 years or so. If I had to guess I'd say it will be an outsider.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
There isn’t a single team in the league that’s being based solely on analytics, Dubas himself has said you can’t only rely on that - so folks shouldn’t be afraid of a GM who also happens to like using stats as part of his job. Guys like him just also accept the fact you likely can’t ignore them in the modern NHL.

But surprised at how many folks are interested in a third party. Those don’t always work out - Burke was viewed as the top hockey GM in the world when he signed with the Leafs. What will be important is getting somebody who understands how the group dynamic works in Toronto.

How's it working out in Pittsburgh? and Tampa Bay? Pretty damn good if you ask me lol

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I would vote NO to neither at this point in time.

We need Lou Lam and his 30+ years of NHL GM experience to first negotiate the Matthews, Nylander and Marner deals long term and once the core is locked up, Lou can sit back and fade into retirement.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Give me Sweet Lou until Matthews, Nylander, Marner are signed. That IMO is the heavy lifting still ahead for the Leafs franchise. After that hand the keys to Dubas if he is the best available candidate. Who knows, Leafs GM job might be a dream job for other more experienced GMs.

Reactions: hockeyes

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
How's it working out in Pittsburgh? and Tampa Bay? Pretty damn good if you ask me lol

It certainly CAN work, not suggesting otherwise.

But to me, bringing in a third party makes sense if you want a considerable change in direction for a team - ie Yzerman completely rebuilt the entire Bolts organization. What the Leafs will likely be looking for is somebody to focus on continuity rather than major changes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad