Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
One of your finest pieces ES ! Well thought out - thanks for taking the time.

This absolutely sums up the next number of seasons perfectly. Mr. MM needs to print this off, put a frame around it, and stick it on the wall so he stares at it every day he goes to his office :) .

I particularly agree about the potential hole created by a lack of 2nd round picks in any given draft. I know that you see it happen every now and then, but that is such a valuable pick. Thank goodness MM had acquired one just before this draft to scoop up Lam.

To meet the team's future goals that you've outlined, this past draft had to be a good one. I think most of us are optimistic so far. But they need to follow up with another very good draft so that there is a good compliment of 07 / 08 talent going forward. I agree that the 1st rounder could very well be top 5. I believe our 2nd rounder is Erie's pick (?) I think Erie could surprise - we'll see - so it may or may not turn out to be an ideal position, but at least we thankfully have a 2nd rounder in 2024.
Thanks! I think this is the way we have to go.

I look back on Windsor’s back to back in ‘09 and ‘10. In the 2006 draft, they had 3 x 2nds (Henrique, Cundari, Battani), to go with their 1st (Nemisz). In the 2007 draft, they had two 2nds (Ellis, Blacker) to go with their 1st (Hall). Then in the 2008 draft, they had 1st rounder (Fowler), and 2nd rounder (Watson).

That was the nucleus of their championship teams and the blueprint we need to follow.

Battani may have been a bust but they had 3 x 2nds that year. They could afford one misstep. They didn’t miss a beat.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Keep up the great posts. As someone who has not been around Kitchener for too long. I appreciate reading and learning recent Ranger history. I’m excited to think that it things play out as above that the team has a chance to contend over the next several years.

Also, I agree on the value of second and third round picks and the importance of having another strong draft next year. This year‘s draft shows there is value to be had as some early draft boards had both Lam and Stark as potential first round picks.
Re: value of second round picks.....when was the last time London never had a second round pick? It seems almost every yr they have multiple picks in the second round. If not the second round then multiple 3rd picks.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Re: value of second round picks.....when was the last time London never had a second round pick? It seems almost every yr they have multiple picks in the second round. If not the second round then multiple 3rd picks.
Look at the quality of the 2nds that Windsor had in my above post. If they didn’t have 2nd round picks, there’s no chance at those players. Would they have won two straight Memorial Cups?

Or, like we tried to do last year and at the 2018 trade deadline, we had to trade multiple 2nds and 3rds to get them.

Arcuri was a 2nd round pick in this league. How about we pick up another 2nd or two to go with the one we have now to insure that instead of trading for an Arcuri at the 2027 deadline, we already have a couple on the roster.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Mark Hunter also knows which lower value 2nds to discard in his dealings with other GMs. Could even be their own if they finish high in the standings. It's interesting how some GMs seem to be able to maintain a full draft cupboard. Having these 2nds is valuable when skilled players become available at anytime of the season.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Look at the quality of the 2nds that Windsor had in my above post. If they didn’t have 2nd round picks, there’s no chance at those players. Would they have won two straight Memorial Cups?

Or, like we tried to do last year and at the 2018 trade deadline, we had to trade multiple 2nds and 3rds to get them.

Arcuri was a 2nd round pick in this league. How about we pick up another 2nd or two to go with the one we have now to insure that instead of trading for an Arcuri at the 2027 deadline, we already have a couple on the roster.
A lot depends on the draft year years too. Did Windsor not have 3-4 firsts born 1994 through defects and a sell, yet kinda suck?

Reactions: EvenSteven

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Mark Hunter also knows which lower value 2nds to discard in his dealings with other GMs. Could even be their own if they finish high in the standings. It's interesting how some GMs seem to be able to maintain a full draft cupboard. Having these 2nds is valuable when skilled players become available at anytime of the season.
It will be more difficult for London to build up and maintain the overflowing draft picks now that the U18 draft is producing players and there are no longer the best free agents available for London to sign each year.

Reactions: bobber

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
My breakout player pre camp was going to be Mercer. I liked what I saw of him two years ago and my comparison at that time was that he could become a Scott Timmins type player. Last year he regressed a little but the Rangers loading up reduced his minutes considerably. But going into this year, I expect / hope he’ll become that high end, two way, defensive, shutdown forward capable of maybe 15-25 for 40 points.

I still look to see that happen, but today, after the start of camp, I can’t ignore Trent Swick. This guy entered the pre season on a mission. This dude means business! I can see him doubling last year’s offensive points per game and then some. I love him using his size and getting involved on the ice. We know he’s capable of the big open ice hit and for me, he’ll be a big factor this year.

No he’s not drafted, but if his play continues, I can see him at least signing somewhere as a free agent a la Andrew Crescenzi.
I’ve liked Swicks game and feel like he will really excel under this staff. Using his body and speed ( for a big guy) more and being a pest which will be needed. With a increase in production I believe that there will be a couple contenders wanting his services at the deadline resulting in a 3rd and middle round pick coming back.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I’ve liked Swicks game and feel like he will really excel under this staff. Using his body and speed ( for a big guy) more and being a pest which will be needed. With a increase in production I believe that there will be a couple contenders wanting his services at the deadline resulting in a 3rd and middle round pick coming back.

For a 3rd and mid round pick, I may want to hold onto him if he does ramp his game up, and move him for at least that and likely a bit more at the next deadline as an OA.

If he becomes a point a game player by next year, he could be one of the top OA’s available.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Campbell is one of those guys who has the tools but needs to piece it all together. His skating is weird. His edge work is fantastic. But his stride can be a bit wonky. Not slow but not overly fast.

His decision making is hit or miss. Shows flashes of really good stuff then makes some really bad reads. Physically he doesn't shy away but after a bad head injury last yr I definitely noticed a more cautious approach which is hard to be critical of.

I still believe he has all the tools to be a solid 2nd pair guy when he's 19&20. Wish him the best!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Campbell is one of those guys who has the tools but needs to piece it all together. His skating is weird. His edge work is fantastic. But his stride can be a bit wonky. Not slow but not overly fast.

His decision making is hit or miss. Shows flashes of really good stuff then makes some really bad reads. Physically he doesn't shy away but after a bad head injury last yr I definitely noticed a more cautious approach which is hard to be critical of.

I still believe he has all the tools to be a solid 2nd pair guy when he's 19&20. Wish him the best!
I suspect his minutes were minimal on a veteran Sarnia team.

Getting crowded on the back end. Could we see a vet moved out sooner than later?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I suspect his minutes were minimal on a veteran Sarnia team.

Getting crowded on the back end. Could we see a vet moved out sooner than later?
surprised he didn’t get minutes in Jr b, but agent may have tried to hold him in the OHL, who knows.

hockey sense is average too poor, gifted skater though

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
surprised he didn’t get minutes in Jr b, but agent may have tried to hold him in the OHL, who knows.

New Ranger coaching staff will bring the best out of this kid. Make him int a decent stay at home type of defenseman. Still young enough to be turned into a steady OHL player.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Well, he was taken in the third round for a reason. But then, I can list a few Ranger 3rds rounders that didn’t pan out so there’s that.

I think MM is trying to do what he can to add ‘06’s to see if he can repair the broken Ranger 2022 draft. But if nothing else, he may hope the ‘06 group gives us decent to very good OA options down the road.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
New Ranger coaching staff will bring the best out of this kid. Make him int a decent stay at home type of defenseman. Still young enough to be turned into a steady OHL player.
We really don't know jack about how the new coaching staff is. At this point it's wishful thinking.🙏

Reactions: TheBlueMonster

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
We really don't know jack about how the new coaching staff is. At this point it's wishful thinking.🙏

We've seen what he can do with a Junior aged roster at the world juniors but it is a different beast.

I think Juicy is going to do wonders for the rebuild here but we haven't had a well oiled machine behind the bench in years. We can say what we want about how Troy Smith and Steve Spott did as a head coach but Spott, Smith and Jimmy Brown, i'd kill to have them back behind the bench.

We'll see how they do. I am optimistic about the coaches but aside from MM and maybe Mike Van Ryn, I haven't loved a bench staff here in almost 15 - 20 years

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
The new coach is more accomplished at the time of his hiring than any coach we've hired since maybe Van Ryn (but I think he was new to coaching at that point too). I get skepticism with the teams recent history, but there's a point where it just becomes pessimism imo. This is the first coaching move this team has made in so long I can't even remember, that fans have legitimate reason to be optimistic about from the outset.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Since probably DeBoer actually. Spott wasn’t a head coach at this level before his hire. I believe Van Ryn was only an asst in his coaching career before Kitchener.

I agree there’s lots to be optimistic about.

Oh, and I wouldn’t kill to have Spott back behind the bench - or running the team for that matter. Going into the 2018 deadline, no way he makes the moves that MM did and therefore, we never get to game 7 vs the Soo.

Spott would have just whined about the prices and not done enough to allow the team a chance to win. He did that in two consecutive years in his time here. Complain about the steep prices and waste two years of John Gibson as a Ranger.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Blues I was just pumping the tires of this kid after a couple of posters down played his abilities. The kid played in Sarnia last year as a 16 year old and a couple posters are pointing out his warts. How many 16 year old defensemen have come into this league playing on a fairly stacked team with limited ice time and not had some sort of flaws or made mistakes? This player probably wanted a change and asked for a trade after getting slivers in his ass on the bench last season. I do agree this new coaching staff has to prove they have what it takes. After the Dennis fiasco here. Dennis wasn't handed the best tool kit in the world either. Some of the blame for the mediocre hockey in Kitchener has to go on the shoulders of MM and his staff. You can't make chicken soup out of chicken shite.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Blues I was just pumping the tires of this kid after a couple of posters down played his abilities. The kid played in Sarnia last year as a 16 year old and a couple posters are pointing out his warts. How many 16 year old defensemen have come into this league playing on a fairly stacked team with limited ice time and not had some sort of flaws or made mistakes? This player probably wanted a change and asked for a trade after getting slivers in his ass on the bench last season. I do agree this new coaching staff has to prove they have what it takes. After the Dennis fiasco here. Dennis wasn't handed the best tool kit in the world either. Some of the blame for the mediocre hockey in Kitchener has to go on the shoulders of MM and his staff. You can't make chicken soup out of chicken shite.
i watched him at the ohl cup, my views of him are pre-sarnia when he played with his peers.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
More on Carson Campbell from Prospects Sports Illustrated:

I particularly like the ending comment:

At the next level, expect to see Campbell standing in as a more stay-at-home defender, who can hold the line well, while being able to handle the defensive aspects of the game very well. Campbell could very easily be a diamond in the rough.

And some more insight here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad