Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Of course picking 1st overall instead of 5th lets you pick the best player available instead of having to settle for the 5ish best player. Does anyone know how strong the draft is supposed to be this year, and if there are a number of great players or just 1 or 2?

It is early, and last year at this time guys like Schaefer started the year further down on scout rankings and gradually rose to the top through-out the season, whereas a guy like Stark actually fell. So things will change over the course of the year.

Apparently no clear top 1 to 5 yet, but here is somewhat of a preliminary top 7 to watch to start the season:

1. Zachary Nyman-Vaughan Kings
2. Luca Blonda-SOO Greyhounds
3. Kent Greer-Pittsburgh Penguins Elite
4. Callum Croskery-Oakville Rangers
5. Michael D’Alessio-Vaughan Kings
6. Ronan Clarke-Markham Majors
7. Jacob XU-North York Rangers

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
It is early, and last year at this time guys like Schaefer started the year further down on scout rankings and gradually rose to the top through-out the season, whereas a guy like Stark actually fell. So things will change over the course of the year.

Apparently no clear top 1 to 5 yet, but here is somewhat of a preliminary top 7 to watch to start the season:

Thanks for the info. I'm sure there will be change, but still good to see where it stands before the season starts.

Reactions: Gondrex

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023

Add Braidy Wassilyn to this list as well. Big forward who will play for Markham Majors in the GTHL this year who some have as the #1 favourite right now.

Some others:

Adam Valentini - Marlies - F
Logan Hawery - Barrie - F
Alex McLean - Barrie - F
Beckham Edwards - Elgin-Middlesex - F

Very forward heavy top end of the draft this year!

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Add Braidy Wassilyn to this list as well. Big forward who will play for Markham Majors in the GTHL this year who some have as the #1 favourite right now.

Some others:

Adam Valentini - Marlies - F
Logan Hawery - Barrie - F
Alex McLean - Barrie - F
Beckham Edwards - Elgin-Middlesex - F

Very forward heavy top end of the draft this year!
Barrie will be a powerhouse this year with many going in the opening rounds. Another one to keep a eye on is Manny malhorta kid Caleb from the Vaughn Kings. Zhilkins and Hage’s younger brothers are also in the draft.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It will be a long season for Kitchener but I want them to build a wining culture.

That's the only option in a down year.

1000000593.jpg

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The rules should have another asterisk. Along with the one that allows you to have a fifth 16 year old if you trade for one, I propose you should be able to have a 5th if you have two 1st rounders that year.

Trading for a 16 year old means trading for him at the deadline. Meaning he has to be a 1st rounder. Not a lot of difference between five 16 year olds in that situation and five 16 year olds in my proposal.

At the end of the day, in each situation, the team has five 16 year olds with two being 1st rounders, post trade deadline.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Teams that want to take a serious run in the playoffs usually have a full compliment of picks and more at the deadline. Rangers need to start filling in the missing picks and add more over the next couple of years. To be in on the top players available a GM has to have something serious to offer.

I’m not a big fan of loading up with picks so that we can buy players at the deadline. I’d like to trade for picks, use them to pick and develop players. Makes more sense.

Last season, much like the 17-18 season, we attempted to trade our way into contention. I get the Costantini and Moore acquisitions. 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 8th for a couple high end OA’s? Great additions at a good price.

Zhilkin and Arcuri however? For the pair, 4x2nds, 6x3rds, 4th, 5th? I’m not saying they weren’t worth that or that they weren’t acquired at market value. I’m saying if we’d have drafted properly, and had extra high picks to have more successful drafts, we don’t make those trades. Or at least not both of them.

Our ‘04 draft was bad. Yes there were a couple good players there. But we did not have a 2nd round pick that year. Having 3x3nds and 2x4ths was good, but none of those picks were a factor in last year’s post season. If not for the Hunter Brzustewicz acquisition and the two imports, the contribution from the ‘04 contingent would have been next to nil. A strong ‘04 group means we likely don’t have to trade for one of if not both of Zhilkin / Arcuri.

Our ‘05 draft was better, but again, no 2nd rounder. You should get very good players in the 2nd round. Not having at least one 2nd rounder at the draft sets us back.

What our game plan should be going forward:

MM has already started things just fine. We have what looks to be a very good to high end ‘07 group. And he seems to be adding ‘06 pieces that could have some upside.

We should be looking to improve the 07 group, add a piece or two to the 06 group, and bring in the picks that would give us strong 08 and 09 groups. To achieve this, attempt to trade as many of our graduating players as we can this year, and I believe we need to move Rehkopf this year as well but only if the price is right.

Our goal needs to be, since we’re rebuilding over the next two years, to be really good in 25-26 and possibly host and be the favorite in 26-27, and have a 27-28 returning group good enough to be pretty good again, or, as Hamilton did last year, have multiple, quality returning pieces to start the process over again.

Being really good in 25-26 means that the ‘06 group needs to be good. I’m not expecting spectacular, but good enough to be a complement to the ‘07 group who’ll be a force in their 3rd year here. Since the ‘06 group likely won’t be top shelf, they should provide good OA options for the 26-27 season. And if we can get three of those ‘06’s to be very good OA’s, we won’t need to burn assets to improve that 26-27 OA group.

And 26-27 goes without saying. All in big time. But, we cannot be trading our way into contention that year. We need to be elite already, then maybe make a couple deals to augment an already elite group. To do this, we won’t need a very deep draft pick cupboard, going into the 26-27 season, if we acquire the picks / players this year by dealing our graduating players and hopefully Rehkopf.

What we need in return is 06 and 07 player(s) and mutilple 2nd and 3rd round picks in the next two drafts.

Christian Kyrou went last year for Alex Daviault (17 year old 3rd rounder), 2x2nds, 3rd, 4th, 5th. That’s my Hunter Brzustewicz trade comparable and I try to get that return for him: a decent ‘06 plus the picks.

The Owen Beck return was a 1st rounder, an 18 year old 2nd rounder, 2x2nds, 3rd, 4th. That’s my Rehkopf trade comparable. To move him, we need close to this return.

If we accomplish the above, we look like this post trade deadline:

06’s x 4.
Bottineau, DiFelice, Ellinas plus the ‘06 that would come in the Hunter B deal. If everything pans out right, perhaps we have a decent to pretty good ‘06 group.

07’s x 6.
Romano, Lam, Reid, Stark, and whoever comes in the Rehkopf deal. That’s five solid 07’s. Once you factor in MacNiel, Edwards and Arquette (I think he’s signed?), we could have the best concentration of 07’s on one team league wide.

To make sure we have the best shot of having really good ‘08’s and ‘09’s, we should aim to have, say, five picks in the first three rounds of the next two drafts. Three 2nds and a 3rd or two and two. This shouldn’t be a problem with the picks coming back in the Brzustewicz / Rehkopf trades, along with what we may be able to bring in if we move any other graduating players.

The players we draft in the ‘24 and ‘25 drafts will be the supporting cast when we contend in 25-26 and 26-27. If these 17 and 18 year olds are valuable contributors, it lessens the need to fill holes by burning assets to bring in expensive players like Zhilkin and Arcuri.

If we get the contribution expected from the 16, 17, and 18 year old groups in those two years, we’d only need to make inexpensive, minor deals for supporting players.

Again, we have to put the brakes on trading multiple 2nds and 3rds at deadlines for graduating vets. The best way to build a winning roster is to take those 2nds and 3rds, use them to draft and develop players to be high end contributors in their 3rd and 4th years. Do that, and there’s no need to trade for multiple high end vets at the deadline when we’re in an all in year.

In ‘03, we really only made one major deal (Campbell) and some secondary deals (Clarkson, Halkidis, O’Nabigon). We didn’t break the bank on those deals and none were done at the deadline. Why? Because along with our high end graduating players, we had high end 18 and 17 year old players who were major factors. Even the 16 year old 1st rounder Evan McGrath played important minutes. There was no need to spend huge at the deadline.

In ‘08, the Mason deal was the big splash at the deadline but that was it for expensive acquisitions. Shutron and Tregunna were a tier below but we didn’t break the bank dealing for those two, and only Tregunna was brought in at the deadline. We were already a top end team with little need for multiple major additions.

Going into the possible hosting year, our 1st rounder taken in the ‘26 draft may be in play but only if it’s for the right return. Based on what we should have already existing, we shouldn’t have to trade our way into being a top contender. The pieces should already be there. Then, maybe, you tweak things. That being the case, our ‘26 1st may not need to be on the table.

Apologies. This post went longer than I expected.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I’m not a big fan of loading up with picks so that we can buy players at the deadline. I’d like to trade for picks, use them to pick and develop players. Makes more sense.

Last season, much like the 17-18 season, we attempted to trade our way into contention. I get the Costantini and Moore acquisitions. 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 8th for a couple high end OA’s? Great additions at a good price.

Zhilkin and Arcuri however? For the pair, 4x2nds, 6x3rds, 4th, 5th? I’m not saying they weren’t worth that or that they weren’t acquired at market value. I’m saying if we’d have drafted properly, and had extra high picks to have more successful drafts, we don’t make those trades. Or at least not both of them.

Our ‘04 draft was bad. Yes there were a couple good players there. But we did not have a 2nd round pick that year. Having 3x3nds and 2x4ths was good, but none of those picks were a factor in last year’s post season. If not for the Hunter Brzustewicz acquisition and the two imports, the contribution from the ‘04 contingent would have been next to nil. A strong ‘04 group means we likely don’t have to trade for one of if not both of Zhilkin / Arcuri.

Our ‘05 draft was better, but again, no 2nd rounder. You should get very good players in the 2nd round. Not having at least one 2nd rounder at the draft sets us back.

MM has already started things just fine. We have what looks to be a very good to high end ‘07 group. And he seems to be adding ‘06 pieces that could have some upside.

We should be looking to improve the 07 group, add a piece or two to the 06 group, and bring in the picks that would give us strong 08 and 09 groups. To achieve this, attempt to trade as many of our graduating players as we can this year, and I believe we need to move Rehkopf this year as well but only if the price is right.

Our goal needs to be, since we’re rebuilding over the next two years, to be really good in 25-26 and possibly host and be the favorite in 26-27, and have a 27-28 returning group good enough to be pretty good again, or, as Hamilton did last year, have multiple, quality returning pieces to start the process over again.

Being really good in 25-26 means that the ‘06 group needs to be good. I’m not expecting spectacular, but good enough to be a complement to the ‘07 group who’ll be a force in their 3rd year here. Since the ‘06 group likely won’t be top shelf, they should provide good OA options for the 26-27 season. And if we can get three of those ‘06’s to be very good OA’s, we won’t need to burn assets to improve that 26-27 OA group.

And 26-27 goes without saying. All in big time. But, we cannot be trading our way into contention that year. We need to be elite already, then maybe make a couple deals to augment an already elite group. To do this, we won’t need a very deep draft pick cupboard, going into the 26-27 season, if we acquire the picks / players this year by dealing our graduating players and hopefully Rehkopf.

What we need in return is 06 and 07 player(s) and mutilple 2nd and 3rd round picks in the next two drafts.

Christian Kyrou went last year for Alex Daviault (17 year old 3rd rounder), 2x2nds, 3rd, 4th, 5th. That’s my Hunter Brzustewicz trade comparable and I try to get that return for him: a decent ‘06 plus the picks.

The Owen Beck return was a 1st rounder, an 18 year old 2nd rounder, 2x2nds, 3rd, 4th. That’s my Rehkopf trade comparable. To move him, we need close to this return.

06’s x 4.
Bottineau, DiFelice, Ellinas plus the ‘06 that would come in the Hunter B deal. If everything pans out right, perhaps we have a decent to pretty good ‘06 group.

07’s x 6.
Romano, Lam, Reid, Stark, and whoever comes in the Rehkopf deal. That’s five solid 07’s. Once you factor in MacNiel, Edwards and Arquette (I think he’s signed?), we could have the best concentration of 07’s on one team league wide.

To make sure we have the best shot of having really good ‘08’s and ‘09’s, we should aim to have, say, five picks in the first three rounds of the next two drafts. Three 2nds and a 3rd or two and two. This shouldn’t be a problem with the picks coming back in the Brzustewicz / Rehkopf trades, along with what we may be able to bring in if we move any other graduating players.

The players we draft in the ‘24 and ‘25 drafts will be the supporting cast when we contend in 25-26 and 26-27. If these 17 and 18 year olds are valuable contributors, it lessens the need to fill holes by burning assets to bring in expensive players like Zhilkin and Arcuri.

If we get the contribution expected from the 16, 17, and 18 year old groups in those two years, we’d only need to make inexpensive, minor deals for supporting players.

Again, we have to put the brakes on trading multiple 2nds and 3rds at deadlines for graduating vets. The best way to build a winning roster is to take those 2nds and 3rds, use them to draft and develop players to be high end contributors in their 3rd and 4th years. Do that, and there’s no need to trade for multiple high end vets at the deadline when we’re in an all in year.

In ‘03, we really only made one major deal (Campbell) and some secondary deals (Clarkson, Halkidis, O’Nabigon). We didn’t break the bank on those deals and none were done at the deadline. Why? Because along with our high end graduating players, we had high end 18 and 17 year old players who were major factors. Even the 16 year old 1st rounder Evan McGrath played important minutes. There was no need to spend huge at the deadline.

In ‘08, the Mason deal was the big splash at the deadline but that was it for expensive acquisitions. Shutron and Tregunna were a tier below but we didn’t break the bank dealing for those two, and only Tregunna was brought in at the deadline. We were already a top end team with little need for multiple major additions.

Going into the possible hosting year, our 1st rounder taken in the ‘26 draft may be in play but only if it’s for the right return. Based on what we should have already existing, we shouldn’t have to trade our way into being a top contender. The pieces should already be there. Then, maybe, you tweak things. That being the case, our ‘26 1st may not need to be on the table.

Good points Even. If this all works out the way you have it pictured it would be fantastic. I still have my doubts about the drafting by the Rangers. Last draft seemed successful with two first rounders being a no brainers. If this team improves as it should over the next couple of years they will finish higher in the standings therefore having to pick later. The emphasis will be on making the right choices in future drafts if they hope to trend upwards from the pits of destitution. MM punted the ball down the road to the next Ontario Mem Cup with his hosting idea. There are no guarantees everything will fall into place just because MM mentioned hosting. Did he do this to deflect the state the team was in at the time or have they come up with some new paradigm that made them see the light that the present group running the bench was going nowhere fast? Every season in the weeks leading up to the deadline top teams all jockey for position and make incredible silly offers for the top point getters and most highly skilled defensemen in the league. This won't change. It will happen again this year , the next and on down the road. Looking at last season MM went for it but picking up some semi skilled perimeter type players that wouldn't go to the dirty areas to score and it cost the team draft picks. Looking back it was a gamble at best. I do like your enthusiasm and think it's the right direction. You do have me convinced. Now you have to convince whoever is running the ship at the Aud.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Good points Even. If this all works out the way you have it pictured it would be fantastic. I still have my doubts about the drafting by the Rangers. Last draft seemed successful with two first rounders being a no brainers. If this team improves as it should over the next couple of years they will finish higher in the standings therefore having to pick later. The emphasis will be on making the right choices in future drafts if they hope to trend upwards from the pits of destitution. MM punted the ball down the road to the next Ontario Mem Cup with his hosting idea. There are no guarantees everything will fall into place just because MM mentioned hosting. Did he do this to deflect the state the team was in at the time or have they come up with some new paradigm that made them see the light that the present group running the bench was going nowhere fast? Every season in the weeks leading up to the deadline top teams all jockey for position and make incredible silly offers for the top point getters and most highly skilled defensemen in the league. This won't change. It will happen again this year , the next and on down the road. Looking at last season MM went for it but picking up some semi skilled perimeter type players that wouldn't go to the dirty areas to score and it cost the team draft picks. Looking back it was a gamble at best. I do like your enthusiasm and think it's the right direction. You do have me convinced. Now you have to convince whoever is running the ship at the Aud.
I 100% believe that the Memorial Cup bid is at least partially to deflect the state the team is in and keep the fan base interested. I also believe there's a fairly good chance we will get the bid if we pursue it.

The question is can we finally build a legitimate contender.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Indeed. The team just signed him! He'll play close by on the Elmira Sugar Kings and surely be monitored & helped along by our coaches & staff. He'll provide some depth at G and most likely see some action as a Ranger.

Looked solid in his debut. 4-1 win with 18 saves

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Some good points. About our future draft: the next two drafts, should yield us elite players in the first round. Next year I think we’re destined to probably draft in the top five of the draft (from 1st to 5th). The following year? Maybe around the middle of the draft if not a bit earlier (from 5th to 10th).

As far as positional placement goes in the draft, after the first round, it doesn’t really matter. 2nds and 3rds are shuffled around in this league so much, we almost never use our own 2nd and 3rd round pick anyway if we do pick in those rounds.

MM’s “Come to Jesus” moment regarding a Memorial Cup bid likely came, after consultation with Joe Birch, once Hage and Longacre were no-shows.

After the graduation of the ‘03 group, the Rangers immediate future wouldn’t be good going into the next couple of years. The above no-shows, and the thin ‘04 group? Not much quality there.

Since he knew we’d have two 1st rounders coming in this draft, it likely made sense to go all in last year, then sell off the next couple years in order to gear up for a run of about three years of being very good starting with the 25-26 season.

It makes sense of course and he gave himself an extension of sorts. I figure that the next few years will be his swan song here in Kitchener. If we host or not in 26-27, win or lose, I think he hopes to move on to the pros.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I’ll throw a surprise name out there that I think gets traded for a really nice return who never gets mentioned…. Trent Swick.

For a playoff team to get the chance to pick up a player with his size is any team’s dream. From what he has shown in preseason, he is more willing to go to the net this year. He will be a staple in the top six and will get good power play time. If he is anywhere near .75 PPG pace he will be viewed at as a huge get got a contender. Keep in mind that he is not NHL drafted and will be a prime candidate to be an OA next season. A team would be trading for a year and a half of him and would pay up a hefty price.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017

06’s x 4.

07’s x 6.

One of your finest pieces ES ! Well thought out - thanks for taking the time.

This absolutely sums up the next number of seasons perfectly. Mr. MM needs to print this off, put a frame around it, and stick it on the wall so he stares at it every day he goes to his office :) .

I particularly agree about the potential hole created by a lack of 2nd round picks in any given draft. I know that you see it happen every now and then, but that is such a valuable pick. Thank goodness MM had acquired one just before this draft to scoop up Lam.

To meet the team's future goals that you've outlined, this past draft had to be a good one. I think most of us are optimistic so far. But they need to follow up with another very good draft so that there is a good compliment of 07 / 08 talent going forward. I agree that the 1st rounder could very well be top 5. I believe our 2nd rounder is Erie's pick (?) I think Erie could surprise - we'll see - so it may or may not turn out to be an ideal position, but at least we thankfully have a 2nd rounder in 2024.

Reactions: EvenSteven and RB76

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
As the season gets going and all the vets are back in the league it will be a challenge for Ranger rookies to stand out. I always find we have to temper expectations some what going forward until the young prospects find their place on the team. Especially on a down year when the team is going into what is expected to be a full rebuild. Rookie mistakes will be amplified playing against the top veteran teams with ambitions of taking a shot at the league championship.

RB76

Aug 22, 2023
Keep up the great posts. As someone who has not been around Kitchener for too long. I appreciate reading and learning recent Ranger history. I’m excited to think that it things play out as above that the team has a chance to contend over the next several years.

Also, I agree on the value of second and third round picks and the importance of having another strong draft next year. This year‘s draft shows there is value to be had as some early draft boards had both Lam and Stark as potential first round picks.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Who is everyone’s breakout candidate.
My pick is mercer. I think that him and stark on a line will become an effective shutdown line during the later part of the season while tapping into his offensive development. Kyrzakos will be an important part of the team with his development history in Mississauga and eventually become mm successor. No coincidence he left shortly after Richmond got 7 years.

My breakout player pre camp was going to be Mercer. I liked what I saw of him two years ago and my comparison at that time was that he could become a Scott Timmins type player. Last year he regressed a little but the Rangers loading up reduced his minutes considerably. But going into this year, I expect / hope he’ll become that high end, two way, defensive, shutdown forward capable of maybe 15-25 for 40 points.

I still look to see that happen, but today, after the start of camp, I can’t ignore Trent Swick. This guy entered the pre season on a mission. This dude means business! I can see him doubling last year’s offensive points per game and then some. I love him using his size and getting involved on the ice. We know he’s capable of the big open ice hit and for me, he’ll be a big factor this year.

No he’s not drafted, but if his play continues, I can see him at least signing somewhere as a free agent a la Andrew Crescenzi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad