Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I sense Nelli making this Ranger Off-Season Thread brought a smile to his face!
"To the victors goes the spoils" (thought I would say that before he did)! :)
Sorry Ward, I was just changing the Rangers and Knights thread over as they both hit 1K! So, I cut off your last post. I was happy we moved on, but no gloating here. Rangers were a good team, and even though they lost, they made history "8th seed sweeping 1st seed". My gloating is reserved for another 401 rival! lol! So I should end this post with a thank you!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The standard for a top end defective 1st rounder has been 3x2nds and 3x3rds + a 4th or 5th. (Dickinson, etc)

Now that the draft has passed, we have our 2nd and 3rd in ‘27 available to trade.

I think we can move the likes of Brzustewicz and a couple of the OA’s in the off season to acquire the remaining picks to close a deal for Brady Martin.

That’s without having to move Rehkopf this off season. The best time to move 1.5 years of Rehkopf would be at the January deadline when part of the returning package is a ‘23 1st rounder.

My Martin / Hawel comparable is not far off. Hawel cost us 2x2nds and a 3rd. Could Martin bring us most of that? 2x2nds or a 2nd and 3rd? Maybe.

Motew should be worth maybe a couple 3rds? Not sure.

And we “know” that recent trade with Saginaw is the start of a Brzustewicz off season deal. ;)

We’ll see!

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Admitting my laziness here, anyone know when the trade window for players open up?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Pre- COVID it was June 1st. I'm assuming it has returned to that date.
Just checked the draft pick database trades section. It looks like it opens June 1 and then shuts down for the month of July and reopens August 1. I didn’t see any trades made in July on the database.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Question on the Mitch Martin unsubstantiated hints or rumour he asked for a trade to Sudbury. Would that not tie the hands of MM if he wants out and will only go to his home town Wolves? Might have to do a discounted deal. Mitch is a big power forward that played well in the playoffs compared to other higher end forwards. I believe he should have developed into a more well rounded player here in Kitchener like some other players failed to do. He could have a huge year if he gets proper coaching.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
The standard for a top end defective 1st rounder has been 3x2nds and 3x3rds + a 4th or 5th. (Dickinson, etc)

Now that the draft has passed, we have our 2nd and 3rd in ‘27 available to trade.

I think we can move the likes of Brzustewicz and a couple of the OA’s in the off season to acquire the remaining picks to close a deal for Brady Martin.

That’s without having to move Rehkopf this off season. The best time to move 1.5 years of Rehkopf would be at the January deadline when part of the returning package is a ‘23 1st rounder.

My Martin / Hawel comparable is not far off. Hawel cost us 2x2nds and a 3rd. Could Martin bring us most of that? 2x2nds or a 2nd and 3rd? Maybe.

Motew should be worth maybe a couple 3rds? Not sure.

And we “know” that recent trade with Saginaw is the start of a Brzustewicz off season deal. ;)

We’ll see!
I think you're over valuing Martin and under valuing Motew. But that's just my opinion.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Question on the Mitch Martin unsubstantiated hints or rumour he asked for a trade to Sudbury. Would that not tie the hands of MM if he wants out and will only go to his home town Wolves? Might have to do a discounted deal. Mitch is a big power forward that played well in the playoffs compared to other higher end forwards. I believe he should have developed into a more well rounded player here in Kitchener like some other players failed to do. He could have a huge year if he gets proper coaching.
Your last sentence could very well be his motivation. Given his past season's experience, coaching-wise, he and his parents/advisors might be skeptical as to the quality and experience of the potential head coach. That just may have cultivated the notion that anywhere else will probably be better.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think you're over valuing Martin and under valuing Motew. But that's just my opinion.
No problem. You may be right.

Motew was a beast in the playoffs this year and being a +26 (+- leader) this year on an 8th place team issues a lot. Usually, on teams that finish that low in the standings, it’s hard finding any plus players at all.

For me, there aren’t many in the league like Martin. He should be good for 30+ goals this year. That has to be worth decent return.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The Schneider kid we drafted late is the son of Geoff Schneider. He played for Kingston back in the day and is from Kitchener.

No idea if that means anything in the way of him reporting, if he’s a player, etc.

Reactions: bobber

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Your last sentence could very well be his motivation. Given his past season's experience, coaching-wise, he and his parents/advisors might be skeptical as to the quality and experience of the potential head coach. That just may have cultivated the notion that anywhere else will probably be better.
This organization needs coaching stability once and for all. Heck, I’d have more faith in longevity behind the bench with the hire of a 67 year old Stan Butler than what goes through the turnstiles here in Kitchener.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
There was a reason Hunter had his players targeting Motew. Not sure how much empathic is placed on plus /minus but Hunter saw something in Motew that needed attention.

There definitely was. Good call.
The players were told to be very aware when on he was on the ice, take away time n space, finish checks at every op and force the puck off his stick. I'm sure of it.
Dale will gameplan that way for sure. Esp on a D if they are a difference maker.
They've used that before.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
This organization needs coaching stability once and for all. Heck, I’d have more faith in longevity behind the bench with the hire of a 67 year old Stan Butler than what goes through the turnstiles here in Kitchener.
As I mentioned earlier in the season, Oshawa went out and hired an extremely experienced coach in Derek Laxdal.

No reason we can’t do the same.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Reading an article on Rehkopf leading up to the NHL draft. It states that NHL scouts love a guy his size and skill level with a pro type shot. His weakness is his play away from the puck. Also he has to step up his physicality in order to play the pro game. Rangers were not a physical team by any stretch of the imagination. This related to the coaching he receives here in Kitchener. They do go on to say that NHL teams will take these type of players and try to develop them to be more solid on both sides of the puck. Sometimes it works out others not.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
IMO, Motew and Sop are neck and neck for the most improved player on the Rangers. Motew really came on towards the end.

Agreed, and I also personally liked what I saw in Andonovski.

I hesitate to compare a 19 year old Sop to a 19 year old Miseljevic (next season), but with the few returnees coming back, Adrian is going to really have to step it up with the offensive numbers. He's got the speed and energy. Hopefully he can make a jump in production similar to what Sop did.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvenSteven

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
When you look at the regular season "division standings" you can see why a couple of teams generated so many points. Ottawa really had a group of either underachieving teams as an example ( Petes) or total rebuild teams Oshawa , Kingston and Missy. The Petes started to come around and play to their potential in the playoffs. IMO Windsor had a lighter division also but not quite to the same degree. In Major A some teams like the Rangers do something considered impossible and then come back to reality. In the end the teams with solid coaching strategies and depth come through to the finals every year.

Reactions: rve24

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Bruce Boudreau

Derek Laxdal
I'd be shocked if we hired anyone of this 'sort', even stealing a prominent OHL seasoned guy like George Burnett, Dave Cameron, Gary Agnew or James Richmond (etc) would seem like a moon-shot hire given our established MO.

Maybe we'd ante up and try to lure Marc Savard here as he's seemingly rising like a modern-era Pete Deboer? I still see Andreas Karlsson as a potentially great HC in the CHL and he was a 'MM compatible guy' too while the more storied guys would likely require significant organizational change to accommodate. I suppose we could be paying Chris Dennis' contract for a couple seasons yet which may encumber our HC budget … though that may simply disappear into maintaining our non-profit compliance now that cash is flowing ;)

I think we need both Joe Birch and MM to get uncomfortable scouring the field for top candidates and going all-in on the best coach that we can land.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I'd be shocked if we hired anyone of this 'sort', even stealing a prominent OHL seasoned guy like George Burnett, Dave Cameron, Gary Agnew or James Richmond (etc) would seem like a moon-shot hire given our established MO. Maybe we'd ante up and try to lure Marc Savard here as he's seemingly rising like a modern-era Pete Deboer? I still see Andreas Karlsson as a potentially great HC in the CHL and he was a 'MM compatible guy' too while the more storied guys would likely require significant organizational change to accommodate. I suppose we could be paying Chris Dennis' contract for a couple seasons yet which may encumber our HC budget but that may be helping us maintain our non-profit compliance now that we're back making cash ;)

I think we need both Joe Birch and MM to get uncomfortable scouring the field for top candidates and going all-in on the best coach that we can land.
After the loss to the Knights especially the last game it kind of exposed the present coaching staff. Total 16 shots in an elimination game and the team had absolutely no push back after the first period. Not sure how the management works around the Dennis contract. The certainly have to do something about coaching here. Back when they hired Deboer they came to the conclusion they needed to bring in an established winning coach. Hope they get back to that idea.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I'd be shocked if we hired anyone of this 'sort', even stealing a prominent OHL seasoned guy like George Burnett, Dave Cameron, Gary Agnew or James Richmond (etc) would seem like a moon-shot hire given our established MO.

Maybe we'd ante up and try to lure Marc Savard here as he's seemingly rising like a modern-era Pete Deboer? I still see Andreas Karlsson as a potentially great HC in the CHL and he was a 'MM compatible guy' too while the more storied guys would likely require significant organizational change to accommodate. I suppose we could be paying Chris Dennis' contract for a couple seasons yet which may encumber our HC budget … though that may simply disappear into maintaining our non-profit compliance now that cash is flowing ;)

K2. Would be great if MM and the powers that be at the Aud would stay away from MM compatible guys and go outside the box. How about an uncomfortable guy. Someone that made the people running the ship think could replace them one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille