Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Disagree.. Not because of the quality of player to come in but his timeline doesnt make sense.
Who do you take off the current D core to accomodate?
Hunter Brzustewicz is going to return a big haul for Kitchener but not an area of need for London to pay up on..

If you are looking at a deal with the Rangers that might help an area of need I'd make a call on Jackson Parsons. Does use an OA spot and wont come with the cost/risk of a Simpson..

Sorry Rangers fans... As you were...+
Parsons isn’t an OA. He’s an ‘04.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
London faithful saw Parsons in action in the post season two years ago. As a 17 year old, he fared very well. When Cajan stumbled, he came in and played great.

Having a year off won’t help, but if he can show he’s 100% and back to what he was two years ago, he’d be a good deadline addition.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Has anyone had any trouble bringing food in this year? Saw a security checking bags, not sure if they changed the rules or just a power trip. Fans Might have find new ways to bring beers into the games

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
Has anyone had any trouble bringing food in this year? Saw a security checking bags, not sure if they changed the rules or just a power trip. Fans Might have find new ways to bring beers into the games
Went to the preseason game with a couple of friends and we each had a pop (soda) and a candy with us. No problem getting in.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Went to the preseason game with a couple of friends and we each had a pop (soda) and a candy with us. No problem getting in.
I heard that as a public rink (City of Kitchener), you can bring your own food and drink (non-alcoholic) in with you. I know people who have done this for years. Beats paying $32 (or whatever it is now) for a "large" pepperoni pizza....cold just the way you like it.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I heard that as a public rink (City of Kitchener), you can bring your own food and drink (non-alcoholic) in with you. I know people who have done this for years. Beats paying $32 (or whatever it is now) for a "large" pepperoni pizza....cold just the way you like it.
Before we gave up our season tickets there were a couple of guys in our short row that drank about four or five tall boys a game. Buck a swallow. They had to remortgage their houses to keep the party going at Ranger games. Not sure how they watched the game with their eyes crossed.

Reactions: robertmac43

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Before we gave up our season tickets there were a couple of guys in our short row that drank about four or five tall boys a game. Buck a swallow. They had to remortgage their houses to keep the party going at Ranger games. Not sure how they watched the game with their eyes crossed.
The hockey seemed a lot better when I used to be able to afford to drink at the games. I wonder if that's a coincidence 😁

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
F522DC0A-2FEE-4AE5-9AD0-875F603B13DD.png

Here is the draft board going into the regular season per @Generalsupdates on Twitter. Reminder 1st round picks are not shown as they can’t be traded in the OHL.
* are conditional as part of the Hage trade

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
View attachment 742838
Here is the draft board going into the regular season per @Generalsupdates on Twitter. Reminder 1st round picks are not shown as they can’t be traded in the OHL
Teams that want to take a serious run in the playoffs usually have a full compliment of picks and more at the deadline. Rangers need to start filling in the missing picks and add more over the next couple of years. To be in on the top players available a GM has to have something serious to offer.

Reactions: rangersblues

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Teams that want to take a serious run in the playoffs usually have a full compliment of picks and more at the deadline. Rangers need to start filling in the missing picks and add more over the next couple of years. To be in on the top players available a GM has to have something serious to offer.
4 year cycle. Go for it then sell. Hopefully they get a bit of luck and win the draft lottery. Would also be a benefit if erie misses the playoffs as well.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Edwards is 16 and can only play 10 games as he would be on a Jr B card
Indeed. The team just signed him! He'll play close by on the Elmira Sugar Kings and surely be monitored & helped along by our coaches & staff. He'll provide some depth at G and most likely see some action as a Ranger.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Indeed. The team just signed him! He'll play close by on the Elmira Sugar Kings and surely be monitored & helped along by our coaches & staff. He'll provide some depth at G and most likely see some action as a Ranger.

Good to see him play local this year.

Let’s hope he gets the minutes there. Elmira is usually a contender in that league. Hopefully they don’t give whoever to veteran goalie is the bulk of the starts with wins in mind.

Reactions: K2

K2

Jun 11, 2015
I heard that as a public rink (City of Kitchener), you can bring your own food and drink (non-alcoholic) in with you.
Enforcement has been extremely lax for decades but no outside food, drink or alcohol is permitted in the Aud during ticketed events and, just like the airport: "holder consents to a reasonable examination of his/her person and effects to ensure compliance with all applicable laws, by-laws and facility regulations and rules."

I've walked in for (5) decades with a coffee or pop and maybe a sub once or twice but still buy popcorn and the occasional 'dinner' there if running late.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 7.58.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 7.58.14 PM.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Good to see him play local this year.

Let’s hope he gets the minutes there. Elmira is usually a contender in that league. Hopefully they don’t give whoever to veteran goalie is the bulk of the starts with wins in mind.
Both Owen Edwards and Derek Hartley are new to the GOJHL and the team this year. Hartley us 2 years older but I presume the job is up for grabs for either player.

Haydon Sabourin is no longer on the roster meaning he'll be with the Generals this year.

Reactions: K2

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Who is everyone’s breakout candidate.
My pick is mercer. I think that him and stark on a line will become an effective shutdown line during the later part of the season while tapping into his offensive development. Kyrzakos will be an important part of the team with his development history in Mississauga and eventually become mm successor. No coincidence he left shortly after Richmond got 7 years.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Misaljevic - 11 points last year and looks to be riding shotgun on line 1. He also looked good in the 2 exhibition games I saw him in.

Hamara - 17 points. He looked unafraid to take chances in ex games. The skill is there. His last year so I wouldn’t be shocked if he has a great start and get traded. The best option to drive up his asking price is to trade Hunter in the first month and then let Hamara run PP1 after Hunter is traded. Once Hamara is traded I’d really give Reid a shot at PP1. You give him opportunities and he is going to be amazing when he is 19.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Both Owen Edwards and Derek Hartley are new to the GOJHL and the team this year. Hartley us 2 years older but I presume the job is up for grabs for either player.
Hartley got the start for the opener after they split starts for the preseason and he shutout Ayr 3-0. Hartley played U18 and had a good JrC season so he's maybe just better acclimatized to U20 with more overall starts under his belt but I do think Edwards has the upside. Either way, the Sugar Kings tend to split the load between goalies, at least through the regular season, so Edwards could see 20-25+ games, barring any acquisitions, and hopefully be up here on occasion when we're short (etc).

Who is everyone’s breakout candidate.
Swick & Martin both.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
Would we classify sneaking into the 8th spot and getting the 5th overall pick as a failure, even if we sold off all we could and still snuck in?

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Would we classify sneaking into the 8th spot and getting the 5th overall pick as a failure, even if we sold off all we could and still snuck in?
To me that is the absolute best case scenario. If they can make the playoffs with this roster compared to last year’s roster then it is as successful of a season as possible.

It will be a long season for Kitchener but I want them to build a wining culture.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
Personally I think we need to pick as high as possible in the 2024 draft. Especially after having almost zero to show for the 2022 draft.
Of course picking 1st overall instead of 5th lets you pick the best player available instead of having to settle for the 5ish best player. Does anyone know how strong the draft is supposed to be this year, and if there are a number of great players or just 1 or 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad