Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Listening to a podcast out of Montreal today. A former NHL scout was on the show. They were reviewing the rookie camp and how the players looked.

Of Mesar, the consensus was that they were not impressed. They said as a small forward, to play top six in Laval, he needed to get more involved in the play but is showing almost no sign that he wishes to. No jam or fight for the puck. He really didn’t show up much at all until the latter half of the third game.

They did say he looked better at center than on the wing though but that winning a top six spot at center in Laval will be harder.

They said again that Beck was the better pick though he didn’t escape scrutiny either. They said Beck was a great skater etc but showed next to know hands.

They said it would be good for Beck to return to junior and dominate as a 19-year-old. Interesting though, the same wasn’t said about Mesar. Likely because he has AHL eligibility.

Mesar probably received the most critism of the rookie camp players.

For me, Mesar was just ok here last year but severely underachieved based on expectations. In no way did he show he was above the OHL where it would stunt his development to be sent back here for his 19 year old season. Whether they eventually send him back remains to be seen but I’m not holding my breath. We did overhaul the coaching staff so there is that.

By the way, they raved about Florian Xhekaj. They said he could be a steal as a 4th round pick and wouldn’t be surprised if he earns a spot on the Habs 4th line in the coming years.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Listening to a podcast out of Montreal today. A former NHL scout was on the show. They were reviewing the rookie camp and how the players looked.

Of Mesar, the consensus was that they were not impressed. They said as a small forward, to play top six in Laval, he needed to get more involved in the play but is showing almost no sign that he wishes to. No jam or fight for the puck. He really didn’t show up much at all until the latter half of the third game.

They did say he looked better at center than on the wing though but that winning a top six spot at center in Laval will be harder.

They said again that Beck was the better pick though he didn’t escape scrutiny either. They said Beck was a great skater etc but showed next to know hands.

They said it would be good for Beck to return to junior and dominate as a 19-year-old. Interesting though, the same wasn’t said about Mesar. Likely because he has AHL eligibility.

Mesar probably received the most critism of the rookie camp players.

For me, Mesar was just ok here last year but severely underachieved based on expectations. In no way did he show he was above the OHL where it would stunt his development to be sent back here for his 19 year old season. Whether they eventually send him back remains to be seen but I’m not holding my breath. We did overhaul the coaching staff so there is that.

By the way, they raved about Florian Xhekaj. They said he could be a steal as a 4th round pick and wouldn’t be surprised if he earns a spot on the Habs 4th line in the coming years.
This is a good analysis of Mesar's time in the OHL also. Kid has the speed and skill to be a better OHL player with the proper direction. An article I read a while back said he played far too much on the perimeter here last season. He even struggled in battles along the boards with larger players in junior. Forget who said " If a player doesn't dominate at the level he is at he won't dominate at the next level". Mesar should be sent back for another year. He isn't ready to handle 6'2" 200 pound plus players on a game to game basis yet IMO. I already have a bunch of crow feathers sticking out of my pie hole. Maybe Mesar proves me wrong and I get a few more.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
This is a good analysis of Mesar's time in the OHL also. Kid has the speed and skill to be a better OHL player with the proper direction. An article I read a while back said he played far too much on the perimeter here last season. He even struggled in battles along the boards with larger players in junior. Forget who said " If a player doesn't dominate at the level he is at he won't dominate at the next level". Mesar should be sent back for another year. He isn't ready to handle 6'2" 200 pound plus players on a game to game basis yet IMO. I already have a bunch of crow feathers sticking out of my pie hole. Maybe Mesar proves me wrong and I get a few more.
problem is you dont really learn 'jam', you generally have it or you dont. him coming back will only allow him to continue to play soft because he can, hes way better then everyone.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
problem is you dont really learn 'jam', you generally have it or you dont. him coming back will only allow him to continue to play soft because he can, hes way better then everyone.
If he could just read the play and avoid open ice hits, then yeah, he's pretty good. Or even just shake it off once you get hit. He looks deflated when someone knocks him down. If he comes back, I expect a trade.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I said it in last years Kitchener Rangers thread and I’ll still stick to it. Mesar should have been playing with Arcuri. Arcuri was a shoot first patient and Mesar is a great passer. I think they could have paired well together. Arcuri was attached to Pinelli all season and as good as they were together I think Pinelli could do a lot by himself and could have had other line mates and done almost as well of a job.

Mesar could play great this year with Rehkopf. He could set him up for many goals. Problem is if Mesar came back to Kitchener I’m pretty sure he would be a center which Rehkopf is too. They could be great on the power play together.

In reality I think Mesar starts the year in Laval and then has to prove to Montreal that he is worthy of staying up there. I can see by late November him possibly being sent back to Kitchener if he doesn’t get a top six spot in Laval or doesn’t get a lot of power play minutes.

I think it would be like get sent back to Kitchener for a few weeks, World Junior tournament and then get traded to a contender. Unless he has an incredible World Juniors I think his trade return will be underwhelming.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Without looking, not sure if any of the contenders have room for an import, or an import that Mesar would improve on.

At best I think we could expect a Radek Faksa type return. That’s if he was returned and had a good stint here and at the WJC.

He would be an inexpensive addition for a contender. A comparable non-import player if the same calibre would cost considerably more.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
As hard as we are on Mesar it’s mostly because we expected a lot out of him. He is probably easy in the top 20% of imports in the league. Lots of teams would be interested in upgrading their import spots in the are contenders. I think if he does come back to the OHL his mindset will be a little different this year and have a solid year. If he doesn’t have the mindset to prove people wrong vs why do I hand to play down here then this is a prospect in serious trouble.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
agreed, not sure youd get a home run for him as hes an import but you could get a good pick or two.
Agreed. Import trade are usually underwhelming due to the all the factors that go in- trade clauses, visa, Habs opinion and little to no leverage on the Kitchener side. He likely won’t play another game here due to the Habs/ player unhappiness. Believe it was only a one year loan agreement while hamara was 2. Saginaw, peterborough, London, Windsor, Sudbury Mesar/Martin combo? are options in my opinion.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
OHL4 your right about having jam. I was just hoping Mesar came back and the Rangers had an asset other teams would want if he can be dealt. Mesar has a great attitude and seems to stay on an even keel which makes him very likeable. I remember Deboer being upset with players like Mesar. Lots of speed and skill. He banged his head against the wall trying to get them to drive to the net. Usually they are not big kids. He never succeeded with a couple of them and they were eventually traded.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
OHL4 your right about having jam. I was just hoping Mesar came back and the Rangers had an asset other teams would want if he can be dealt. Mesar has a great attitude and seems to stay on an even keel which makes him very likeable. I remember Deboer being upset with players like Mesar. Lots of speed and skill. He banged his head against the wall trying to get them to drive to the net. Usually they are not big kids. He never succeeded with a couple of them and they were eventually traded.
i think if montreal deems him to be not ahl ready they will send him back home to play, slovakia or maybe the swedish mens league. i dont think mesar will come back to the ohl.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
And Akohas preaches "drive to the net" so Mesar might just learn something.

I don't like the sound of his efforts in training camp. Does his 1st round draft pick get in his way?

I say he has lots to prove and it's not going to happen in the AHL where he will get even more pushback from players who may never play in the NHL. I personally don't care if he comes back. I'd rather focus on our newbies. But, should he come back, I agree....he would be good trade bait for a team heading for playoffs and wanting to upgrade their OAs. Not looking for a barrel of picks. However, adding any picks to Rangers depleted cupboard is a good thing.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
And Akohas preaches "drive to the net" so Mesar might just learn something.

I don't like the sound of his efforts in training camp. Does his 1st round draft pick get in his way?

I say he has lots to prove and it's not going to happen in the AHL where he will get even more pushback from players who may never play in the NHL. I personally don't care if he comes back. I'd rather focus on our newbies. But, should he come back, I agree....he would be good trade bait for a team heading for playoffs and wanting to upgrade their OAs. Not looking for a barrel of picks. However, adding any picks to Rangers depleted cupboard is a good thing.
Mesar and his fellow country man were both drafted in the first round by the Habs. So far both are considered soft players. Mesar was moved to center for the second game. Not sure how he fared. He never impressed in the first game.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Mesar and his fellow country man were both drafted in the first round by the Habs. So far both are considered soft players. Mesar was moved to center for the second game. Not sure how he fared. He never impressed in the first game.
I watched his game vs BUF and vs OTT. He was invisible and very ineffective in the first one. In the second, he was the same for the first half but really picked it up for the second half and used his skating and vision. He still has a long way to go to be a pro, but you at least saw glimpses of why he was a high pick.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I watched his game vs BUF and vs OTT. He was invisible and very ineffective in the first one. In the second, he was the same for the first half but really picked it up for the second half and used his skating and vision. He still has a long way to go to be a pro, but you at least saw glimpses of why he was a high pick.
Personally I like Mesar. In interviews he always seems to have a positive out look. He is a talented player. Making pro hockey out of junior is never a guarantee for any player. We have seen many players go through the OHL that seem like a sure thing to make pro and never get a sniff. I hope this kid does well going foreword where ever that may be.

Reactions: OhSheilaa

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Outside food and drinks, backpacks, and flags are not longer allow to be brought into the games.You knew it was coming Sooner or later.

MVarley

Dec 13, 2021
Outside food and drinks, backpacks, and flags are not longer allow to be brought into the games.You knew it was coming Sooner or later.
I feel safer seeing the "Flag Guys" wave their big flags than sitting behind some snot nosed little kid with a kid sized flag almost poking my eyes out. And by snot nosed little kid, I mean that in the nicest terms possible.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
On Mesar:

For his development, if he can’t play top six in Laval, send him where he’ll be most challenged. That’s Kitchener.

If you’re not so concerned about turning this prospect into a successful NA player, who needs to survive the physical rigours of NA hockey, then sure, send him back across the pond to play on big ice where he can continue to avoid contact. I’m not saying Europe is a bad place to develop players, but this player struggled at times last year at the junior level, so before he plays against men, maybe he should dominate at this level first. He’s not too good for this league.

From a Ranger perspective, I’m not worrying about his trade value. We’re selling and we should be selling big time. If I’m selling off Rehkopf at the deadline, (and I 100% would if the return is right), I don’t trade Mesar at all unless the Habs wanted him moved to a contending team.

But if the Habs send him here, and he played out the season here, the Habs would know that Mesar would step into the #1 center roll (if and when Rehkopf is dealt) and would face every team’s top checkers and D.

If this new coaching staff can get him to excel under those circumstances, by the time our season is over, predictably not making the post season, Mesar would then move up to Laval to finish the season a better player than he was at the start of the year.

Reactions: bobber

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Won’t be the same
I feel safer seeing the "Flag Guys" wave their big flags than sitting behind some snot nosed little kid with a kid
On Mesar:

For his development, if he can’t play top six in Laval, send him where he’ll be most challenged. That’s Kitchener.

If you’re not so concerned about turning this prospect into a successful NA player, who needs to survive the physical rigours of NA hockey, then sure, send him back across the pond to play on big ice where he can continue to avoid contact. I’m not saying Europe is a bad place to develop players, but this player struggled at times last year at the junior level, so before he plays against men, maybe he should dominate at this level first. He’s not too good for this league.

From a Ranger perspective, I’m not worrying about his trade value. We’re selling and we should be selling big time. If I’m selling off Rehkopf at the deadline, (and I 100% would if the return is right), I don’t trade Mesar at all unless the Habs wanted him moved to a contending team.

But if the Habs send him here, and he played out the season here, the Habs would know that Mesar would step into the #1 center roll (if and when Rehkopf is dealt) and would face every team’s top checkers and D.

If this new coaching staff can get him to excel under those circumstances, by the time our season is over, predictably not making the post season, Mesar would then move up to Laval to finish the season a better player than he was at the start of the year.
Needs to play against men He’ll Split time between AHL/ECHL

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
On Mesar:

Good post Even. Totally agree. I still think the best place for Mesar is back here in Kitchener if he is not ready for the AHL. Habs will know quickly if he is ready for pro. They will make the right decision whether it's back in the OHL or Laval, If he they bury him in the ECHL I doubt he works his way back up to the NHL squad ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad