Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhSheilaa

Sep 18, 2022
Checking bags and no food or drinks into the games may be just a precaution (especially drinks but not food) is an unopened waterbottle or can being tossed could severely injure a person. A waffle not so much... ;)
But we know its probably about the money......its always about the money.

I think its much ado about nothing, don't see it really being enforced to any degree....carry on as usual!
OMG, this is the standard in EVERY facility. It's NOT just for the Rangers, it's for EVERY event at The Aud. It's for safety and for the enjoyment of all at an event. Seriously! When I'm at home, I eat supper, I watch sports on TV, I don't get a piece of pizza or make a hot dog. I may drink a beer or I may drink water. My choice.

It's no different at an events at The Aud. No one is forcing you to buy a drink or food, that's YOUR choice. If enough people don't but a beer or food, prices will drop.

You're there to watch a game, buying a beer or food for the 2 and a half hours you're there is entirely up to you. Eat supper, go to the game, buy nothing and go home and make a snack.

This isn't a Rangers policy, it's an Aud policy and it's the same policy in venues all over Ontario.

You're in control of your decisions. NO one is forcing you to buy food or beverages at the game.

If enough of you don't purchase food or drinks or chose NOT to attend games prices will drop.

No one is forcing you to buy anything else but your ticket. If you can't go 2 and a half hours without a drink or food, that's on YOU.

Did our scouts finally get a draft right?
They really did, and we have the right coaching to develop those picks

Last edited:

OhSheilaa

Sep 18, 2022
That's my take away too. The pushback and finding jump is encouraging. I know we can't take much from pre-season against bare bones rosters, but you can take some things away. This team is already more organized, motivated and composed than anything we saw under Chris Dennis.
Completely agree. The passing in the offensive zone is fantastic. Chris Dennis had an incredible resume, but he could't communicate on an individual level. Ahokas gets it. I feel he has the trust of the plaers and they'll give up "me' for "we'

By and large, no good ever comes from Facebook.
You are correct sir!

Reactions: Tim Wallach

OhSheilaa

Sep 18, 2022
I hope you're right Ward. That's what this organization needed - a wake up call and shake up of the country club. If that's what has happened, hallelujah!
It's not that there was a "country club" attitude. It's now that there is some direction, a team identity and an idea of the role each player individually has in that team identity.

Is anyone else in the Kitchener Rangers fan group on Facebook? You should see all of the uproar over the no outside food or drinks rule.

People want to boycott going to games, call the Rangers and the Aud greedy. Not that the Rangers have anything to do with the rules of the arena. People are not going to re new their season tickets next year over it.

Good luck finding other arenas, stadiums, sporting venues that let people walk in with their own food or drinks.
Those comments are from people, not fans, who have rarely attended an event at the Aud.

OhSheilaa

Sep 18, 2022
Sop deserves the "C". Being a hometown boy is a bonus, but it's his heart that speaks the loudest.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Complain about the steep prices and waste two years of John Gibson as a Ranger.
Almost had forgotten JG came thru Kitchener, what a goalie if memory serves correct he was a PITA against Team Canada on more then 1 occasion? When rumors had him coming to the Leafs I was super jacked but quickly realized the Leafs as much as I love them would have "boinked"it up!

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Totally different game last night. The night before was a goal fest but this one with Parsons and Leenders in net was more challenging for both teams. It was a more balanced game between and the young ones did well in the various situations they were put into.

As for the Rangers, here's what I observed:

- they have more than one way to bring the puck into the opposition's zone (Imagen!)

- they turn around quickly and THREE (not one guy looking for the others...) charge into the opposition's zone.....passing....not passing....reading the zone and getting the puck to the net

- there are generally one or even two players at the net depending on circumstances

- there were a couple of times where they scrambled in their own zone and seemed rattled but on the whole, they seem to know what and when to do it with more calm and confidence than I saw last season

- the coaches are fully engaged throughout the game. When players return to the bench, the assistants are communicating to them. Ahokas watches the game with an analytic eye....he doesn't just let things play out....he adapts and makes changes as the game goes on. And if something on an individual level catches his eye....for example Pug (who's back and feisty as ever) came back from a shift and Ahokas engaged him with something he saw. Pug stood and listened until the coach was finished. When the coaches are actively engaged so are the players.

- this new coaching staff has barely had time to scratch the surface but I already see a huge difference in the attitude, confidence, and buy-in from the team

Opening night it's Sag....and that should be a huge challenge for this rebuild team. We'll see.

Last edited:

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
- this new coaching staff has barely had time to scratch the surface but I already see a huge difference in the attitude, confidence, and buy-in from the team
I think MM made a great hire and brought in a coach who will be heavy on organization and systems. May take a bit of patience from the fans because if the national teams Finland has shown recently (which your coach was a big part of at the Junior level I believe?) can have a tendency at times to be a little tough to watch. Wait, wait, wait, wait and pounce on the opponents mistake.
BUT they are successful ........

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
I think MM made a great hire and brought in a coach who will be heavy on organization and systems. May take a bit of patience from the fans because if the national teams Finland has shown recently (which your coach was a big part of at the Junior level I believe?) can have a tendency at times to be a little tough to watch. Wait, wait, wait, wait and pounce on the opponents mistake.
BUT they are successful ........

It is a coincidence that you mention the part about "tough to watch" Buttsy. Those exact words were going through my head last night - but not about this team. It actually described how I felt when I watched many, many games in the first 2/3 of last season.

It's early, in fact very early. But I am optimistic that win or lose, there will at least be hockey in Kitchener this season that will be worth taking the time to watch. We'll see.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
It's early, in fact very early. But I am optimistic that win or lose, there will at least be hockey in Kitchener this season that will be worth taking the time to watch. We'll see.
I do agree I think the Rangers will do better then expected this season. I think they will finish up a plus .500 team on the season and also gain some valuable playoff experience. LOL, easy for me to stick my neck out for the Rangers as a Knights supporter! Of course selling off assets would alter this for sure and indications are in order to become true contenders again they may have to do exactly that. If MM had to do it over maybe he doesn't make the trades he did last year BUT perhaps the Spitfire sweep saved his job? Cheers have a great season except of course when playing London!

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Looking at the new coach's history it goes way back to 2004. All of his coaching involved 16-20 year old players over that stretch. If anyone understands teenagers it's got to be Jussi. Listening to his interview after the game he pointed out the strengths and weaknesses of the team. His observation seemed to be on point with the defense being the strength this season going forward. I know it's early and the games will get a lot more difficult for a rebuilding squad once all vets are back. Watching the coaching staff being involved when players came back to the bench was a refreshing. Maybe these guys are giving the proper direction. Last year when things went south the coaches all stood there like tin soldiers gazing into the sun. Rangers are on the right track as long as the old boys leave the coaching to the staff running the bench. As long as the Rangers become a team that can beat the Knights on a regular basis that will put a smile on Ranger fans mugs.:naughty:

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Looking at the new coach's history it goes way back to 2004. All of his coaching involved 16-20 year old players over that stretch. If anyone understands teenagers it's got to be Jussi. Listening to his interview after the game he pointed out the strengths and weaknesses of the team. His observation seemed to be on point with the defense being the strength this season going forward. I know it's early and the games will get a lot more difficult for a rebuilding squad once all vets are back. Watching the coaching staff being involved when players came back to the bench was a refreshing. Maybe these guys are giving the proper direction. Last year when things went south the coaches all stood there like tin soldiers gazing into the sun. Rangers are on the right track as long as the old boys leave the coaching to the staff running the bench. As long as the Rangers become a team that can beat the Knights on a regular basis that will put a smile on Ranger fans mugs.:naughty:
Sounds like the ideal atmosphere an NHL team wouldn’t mind sending their prospects to.

Especially one who may or may not play top six in Laval. Just sayin.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Listening to Sop interview. This kid has his head glued on the right way. I wouldn't be surprised he ends up being the captain of this years squad. Real mature kid. He was the leader in that game last night IMO.

Reactions: Gondrex

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Listening to Sop interview. This kid has his head glued on the right way. I wouldn't be surprised he ends up being the captain of this years squad. Real mature kid. He was the leader in that game last night IMO.
Was the interview on Tv or radio. Possible link?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
OMG, this is the standard in EVERY facility. It's NOT just for the Rangers, it's for EVERY event at The Aud. It's for safety and for the enjoyment of all at an event. Seriously! When I'm at home, I eat supper, I watch sports on TV, I don't get a piece of pizza or make a hot dog. I may drink a beer or I may drink water. My choice.

It's no different at an events at The Aud. No one is forcing you to buy a drink or food, that's YOUR choice. If enough people don't but a beer or food, prices will drop.

You're there to watch a game, buying a beer or food for the 2 and a half hours you're there is entirely up to you. Eat supper, go to the game, buy nothing and go home and make a snack.

This isn't a Rangers policy, it's an Aud policy and it's the same policy in venues all over Ontario.

You're in control of your decisions. NO one is forcing you to buy food or beverages at the game.

If enough of you don't purchase food or drinks or chose NOT to attend games prices will drop.

No one is forcing you to buy anything else but your ticket. If you can't go 2 and a half hours without a drink or food, that's on YOU.

They really did, and we have the right coaching to develop those picks
Was this aimed at me, if so, point out where I said anything close to what you said? Most I ever brought in on occasion is a bottle of water in which I carried in my hand.
I understand how fans with families need to save money anyway they can nowadays. A family of four spends over 100 on tickets and due to time restraints, all may not had time for dinner at home and can't afford probably another 40 plus on food.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Was this aimed at me, if so, point out where I said anything close to what you said? Most I ever brought in on occasion is a bottle of water in which I carried in my hand.
I understand how fans with families need to save money anyway they can nowadays. A family of four spends over 100 on tickets and due to time restraints, all may not had time for dinner at home and can't afford probably another 40 plus on food.
Not sure who has the contract for food and beverages now at the Aud. When Bingamans had the contract I sent an email to the Aud and said there was no need to rip off people for a bottle of water or a bag of chips. They sent it to Bingamans and the contacted me irate about my suggestion.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Not sure who has the contract for food and beverages now at the Aud. When Bingamans had the contract I sent an email to the Aud and said there was no need to rip off people for a bottle of water or a bag of chips. They sent it to Bingamans and the contacted me irate about my suggestion.
Considering the OHL tries to be (or just my impression?) a league for families to go and enjoy, any means to make it more affordable for families or young fans to attend gets a thumbs up from me. Young people going are future season ticket holders and we must retain them.
I suspect there's a strange dynamic happening here in which the Auds management would prefer no food or drinks being brought in to enhance their bottom line, while the Rangers prefer fans being able to bring snacks in to help at the attendance where they make their money. The Rangers being the main tenant (sorry Titans) probably has incredible sway on this matter.

OK....let's get back to talking hockey with the season starting this week with what appears the start of a good foundation of coaching and rookies for the next few years. LETS GO RANGERS.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Considering the OHL tries to be (or just my impression?) a league for families to go and enjoy, any means to make it more affordable for families or young fans to attend gets a thumbs up from me. Young people going are future season ticket holders and we must retain them.
I suspect there's a strange dynamic happening here in which the Auds management would prefer no food or drinks being brought in to enhance their bottom line, while the Rangers prefer fans being able to bring snacks in to help at the attendance where they make their money. The Rangers being the main tenant (sorry Titans) probably has incredible sway on this matter.

OK....let's get back to talking hockey with the season starting this week with what appears the start of a good foundation of coaching and rookies for the next few years. LETS GO RANGERS.
The new earlier start time gives those families even less time to prep for games.

But I’m with you, let’s talk Hockey.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
The new earlier start time gives those families even less time to prep for games.

But I’m with you, let’s talk Hockey.
How about one last take..........continue to have a lax attitude towards people bringing in food. My gut feeling (no pun intended) is that the people bring in their own snacks do so because they either can't afford it or they are thrifty. They will probably not buy too many extras nor come to the games at all if this policy is enforced.

On the other hand, there is a group that doesn't care and will continue to buy at the aud. This is especially true for alcohol sales though I suspect a majority of "food" smuggled in is alcohol.

So.........either bring ALL the prices down and make it affordable to all, OR, focus your bag searches to alcoholic items.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Actually another thing is that last year the doors opened at 6:00 for the games. That is an hour and half before the game. My son loves to get there really early and watch the Rangers down at High Five Alley. This year the doors only open at 6:00 which is only an hour before the game. If the staff are going to be checking bags and enforcing more rules then getting in the building will be much more time consuming.

Reactions: TheBlueMonster

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017

I hear you Ward. The Aud (The City of Kitchener) gets their money from the vendors who in turn add that to their overhead. It would be interesting to know whether the "rent" to be their is overly ambitious which in turn forces vendors to charge higher prices OR whether it's the vendors who are jacking their prices up to take advantage of a captive audience. Whatever the case, when an order of french fries costs about the same as a burger, it's the fans who pay. And over $30 for a pepperoni pizza is extreme especially when they're just heating it up. BUT no matter.....because unless fans stop buying these items, high prices will continue.

Reactions: rangersblues

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I hear you Ward. The Aud (The City of Kitchener) gets their money from the vendors who in turn add that to their overhead. It would be interesting to know whether the "rent" to be their is overly ambitious which in turn forces vendors to charge higher prices OR whether it's the vendors who are jacking their prices up to take advantage of a captive audience. Whatever the case, when an order of french fries costs about the same as a burger, it's the fans who pay. And over $30 for a pepperoni pizza is extreme especially when they're just heating it up. BUT no matter.....because unless fans stop buying these items, high prices will continue.
I would say 100% the cost of the contract to be a vendor has everything to do with the prices.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Hypothetically what if North Bay struggles and find themselves at the bottom (losing top 4 forwards). Who would have more value at the deadline Nelson or Brzustewicz who are both AHL eligible next year.. Would this have a negative or positive impact on the return for the rangers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad