Player Discussion: Kirill Marchenko thread

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I thought that Marchenko was like two years older than Chinakov, and nope, it's only a 7 month difference
IIRC they were drafted two years apart but Chinny was in his second year of eligibility so they could have been drafted in consecutive years.

Reactions: Jovavic

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Why did I think he was a RW. So Paddy, Johnny Jacket, KM86 and Gus all are natural LWs?

Marchenko and Laine are right-shots though, so traditionally in North American hockey they'd be on the right wing.

Reactions: VT

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
So...
Gaudreau-Jenner-Laine
Marchenko/Nyquist-Sillinger-Voracek
Nyquist/Marchenko-Texier-Bemstrom
Danforth-Kuraly-Robinson
? Kind of gives you 2 offensive lines and 2 defensively capable lines that offer some depth scoring.
Atleast to start if they want to give Johnson development time in the AHL. Also where Chinakhov should be

Reactions: Fro

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So...
Gaudreau-Jenner-Laine
Marchenko/Nyquist-Sillinger-Voracek
Nyquist/Marchenko-Texier-Bemstrom
Danforth-Kuraly-Robinson
? Kind of gives you 2 offensive lines and 2 defensively capable lines that offer some depth scoring.
Atleast to start if they want to give Johnson development time in the AHL. Also where Chinakhov should be
Missing Roslovic.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Missing Roslovic.
always gotta miss somebody. Makes it a bit more tricky but I guess put him in Texier's spot and Tex back with Kuraly-Robinson. See how he plays coming back and change lines if he demands a role higher in the lineup or Marchenko is taking time to figure things out

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
always gotta miss somebody. Makes it a bit more tricky but I guess put him in Texier's spot and Tex back with Kuraly-Robinson. See how he plays coming back and change lines if he demands a role higher in the lineup or Marchenko is taking time to figure things out
Still think Jarmo is going to move another forward asset before the end of training camp

Reactions: thebus88 and Byrral

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If Kent Johnson is stronger, he could play in NHL. Yegor Chinakhov will be more experienced. It'll be difficult for Kirill.

Btw, Chinakhow didn't play in KHL sooner only because Bob Hartley wants from players to be strenght too, he wanted to players be ready to play in KHL. And Yegor wasn't in that time. Look at Gritsyuk. He didn't play too much in the start of the last season but but gradually its time increased. Finally he was playing OG and was one of the best players, if not the best (after Fedotov).

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If Kent Johnson is stronger, he could play in NHL. Yegor Chinakhov will be more experienced. It'll be difficult for Kirill.

Btw, Chinakhow didn't play in KHL sooner only because Bob Hartley wants from players to be strenght too, he wanted to players be ready to play in KHL. And Yegor wasn't in that time. Look at Gritsyuk. He didn't play too much in the start of the last season but but gradually its time increased. Finally he was playing OG and was one of the best players, if not the best (after Fedotov).
Hartley claimed Chinakhov needed more development time and he was correct. Hes lost on the defensive side of the puck and could benefit from more icetime in the AHL. Marchenko has 2 extra years vs men in the KHL over Chinakhov before coming to NA, thats a big difference. But at the end of the day KHL stats dont mean much and all that matters is NHL results. I still like Chinakhov's upside but hes far from a polished product, Marchenko is furthur ahead in development and deserves a look

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Hartley claimed Chinakhov needed more development time and he was correct. Hes lost on the defensive side of the puck and could benefit from more icetime in the AHL. Marchenko has 2 extra years vs men in the KHL over Chinakhov before coming to NA, thats a big difference. But at the end of the day KHL stats dont mean much and all that matters is NHL results. I still like Chinakhov's upside but hes far from a polished product, Marchenko is furthur ahead in development and deserves a look
I agree. And he claimed Yegor should stay still one year in KHL he would help him to develope. But as I wrote after the 2020/21 season, Yegor will play in NHL already in 2021/22 season because his agent is Shumi Babayev (in NHL too) who will prefer to Yegor play in NHL. I think not AHL but still one season under Hartley would be better. But.... .
If true, I prefer to him and Kent Johnson (he needs to learn to play center) in AHL. Maybe Kirill Marchenko too but only for beginning the season because of our "problems with too many wingers.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I agree. And he claimed Yegor should stay still one year in KHL he would help him to develope. But as I wrote after the 2020/21 season, Yegor will play in NHL already in 2021/22 season because his agent is Shumi Babayev (in NHL too) who will prefer to Yegor play in NHL. I think not AHL but still one season under Hartley would be better. But.... .
If true, I prefer to him and Kent Johnson (he needs to learn to play center) in AHL. Maybe Kirill Marchenko too but only for beginning the season because of our "problems with too many wingers.
Would KHL give him a one year deal? Seems to me they want to lock in these young players to three year deals and I can’t blame Chinny if he didn’t want to have to commit to multiple years in Russia like Marchenko and Voronkov.

And what good does a one year deal in Russia do him if he gets the Marchenko cold shoulder buried on the depth chart because he’s made his intentions known he’s NHL bound.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Would KHL give him a one year deal? Seems to me they want to lock in these young players to three year deals and I can’t blame Chinny if he didn’t want to have to commit to multiple years in Russia like Marchenko and Voronkov.

And what good does a one year deal in Russia do him if he gets the Marchenko cold shoulder buried on the depth chart because he’s made his intentions known he’s NHL bound.
Of course KHL team don't want to lose young players.
Not quite. Marchenko played in SKA, Chinakhov in Avangard. And Bob Hartley wanted to work with him similar like all staff even if he signs one year contract.
To Kirill. He didn't lose his spot because of NHL but because of Gusev return and also some players from NHL who have higher contracts. And SKA won't let its best youngsters, who have already shown their qualities, go to other teams. There is, or rather was, such a system. First they got young players, the best players of the youth national teams, who then play in the VHL/MHL because they have nowhere to play since SKA wants to win the Gagarin Cup. How SKA acquired them and their playing in the Russian National Teams is another matter.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Here are some of his KHL highlights 👍

Not quite. Several his actions is from VHL the 2nd Russian league and it isn't too good. Next, some opponents from KHL weren't so good. That's why I'm really looking forward to Kirill playing against top teams.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Hard to gauge from highlight videos and such, but if hes able and willing to work in the corners as well as in front of the net with that size, he should at least have a career as a 3rd liner. The skating looks a bit rough, but the skills are there of a top 6 winger.

I think he has the best chance to chip into replacing Bjorkstrand's role. He probably won't compete as hard on pucks or in the forcheck like Bjork, but maybe he can get around his point total over the next few years. If so, the Jackets will be happy.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
how this thread hasn’t been bumped in 5 months is beyond me.

looks like we have a real gem here, eh?

Kirill really is a jack of all trades.. despite not having an assist yet, he fills the stat sheet nicely.

18 blocks.
20 hits.

what’s even more impressive is his ability when the puck is on his stick.. and i’m not talking his shot.. he has just 4 giveaways to 16 (!!) takeaways in 26 games played so far to start his career.

unbelievable that he’s managing to be this productive despite averaging 13 minutes a game. tells you the kind of player we have on our hands. really can’t wait to continue to watch him grow and I can’t wait to see him thrive next year under a (hopefully) new coach.

Go Kirill Go!!

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
He really needs to improve his skating quite a bit more. He’s a bigger guy, so I’m not expecting young Calvert/Atkinson, but, his acceleration and overall speed/movement need to be improved.

Same goes for Johnson and Sillinger, and even Boqvist. I have some questions with Boqvist/Sillinger and their “IQ/awareness”, and/or if they ALL should be wingers or not, but, once they get “fully” matured physically and get used to the speed and strength of the NHL, KJ and Marchenko look to be impact players very soon. We saw a noticeable change in Chinakhov in just over a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad